• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Weathering 101?

OK, so I just converted my second Tamiya M48A3 kit to a test platform for testing/learning how to weather armor.

What I'd like to do is learn to give it a rusty and real muddy look. But where to start?
There's so much info out there that it's all overwhelming.
I did buy Mig Productions videos but even that is a little confusing (yeah I'm old and am a little slow).
So what products should I get first? (I think I'm sticking with Mig since I have the videos).

Since you bought the Mig videos, but found them a little confusing, you might want to pick up Mig's book, "FAQ". I really like it, as it gives you some step by step visuals of different techniques. It's not cheap, though, but it is a fairly thick book.

David

BLACK SHEEP,

Before you drop th Dough on th F.A.Q. I would stroll through th Masters like MOONIE suggested & Ask Questions here .... I'll be glad to answer anything & don't think that your being a bother. Every body has to start somewhere !! Personally , For th price & th way the Book is not exactly laid out very well & th Translation is a little off ( which I find unacceptable in this day & age & given th $$ )

What you may find when asking about Weathering is that Everyone has there own style but the FUNDAMENTALS are all th same. After you get th Skinny on the Weathering process You'll have to play around with it & see what fits & ( Most Importantly) What looks good to YOUR eye !

There are a couple of Tried & True methods & somewhat of a Certain order to which you do Weathering. But I don't think it strays too far away from those Flying Things I call Flak - Targets ( :D ) That you are familiar with. It may seem a little Intimidating & Overwhelming , But if you pick it apart & take your time It will all Make Sense !

If you have any questions Ask Away , ... That's why We're all here !!

ERIK

I can only echo what Erik said, you're not being a bother by asking questions. But you need to be a bit more specific in your questions. The style of weathering you use will be as unique as everything else you do. some people are able to weather without any pigments at all, others are totally dependent on them.

We have Masters of our hobby here who literally write the book on weathering and asking them questions is free.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Well let me start by asking the first question:

I'm working on an M48 A3 Patton for the "Charlie don't surf" GB.
I'd like to give this beast a look of a "combat Veteran", dirty and muddy (but not too much).

Where do I start?
What tools and materials do I need just for basics?

Is it best to finish building the model first of weather as you go?

I sort of like the "factory new" look in models (you know the AIRCRAFT that most folks here hate [but I just happen to LOVE] B). But I'm not sure armor looks best with the "factory new" look (I've never seen one come off a factory before). :idonno

weathering always when you are done with building and painting!

have a look here: http://www.tanksandthings.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=149:panzergrey-anybody-&catid=83:sven-frisch&Itemid=68

and here: http://www.tanksandthings.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85:painting-armor-101&catid=48:john-steinman&Itemid=68

those articles should be of a help for you!

As Lauras already pointed out the way Blacksheep

Id also take a trawl through all of the Tanks forum as most have a bit of an SBS attatched to them and there are loads of tips and hints to pick up.

One tip for me would be if you have an old and way out of date tank within your stash or cluttering up a shelf
Build it and then use that as a test piece to try out different weathering techniques, so if you muck anything up it wont matter
when you are done with it or want to try out another technique then give it a oven cleaner bath scrub it and away you go for your next try

Oh and do as I do and photo/write everything down that youve done and the outcome
This is for those who like me have terrible memories

I hope this helps :)

whats my name again

oh yeah

Andy :)

Hey man , .......... follow all the above given advise , ......... but get your self a junker kit and practise your weathering on that .
Paint the sucker in the believed base color , ........ then experiment with your weathering , ....... if it sucks , ....... repaint the piece in the base color and reweather again ..............

Base coat in enamel , weather in water based paint , ......... base coat in water base , .... weather in enamel , ........ practise , practise , practise , ..... which is the same answer given to the stranger asking a New Yorker " how do you get to Carnige Hall " , .......... practise ..............

There are a lot of modelers videos on youtube as well, usually entering keywords in the search function will bring you some results that you may find helpful.

I just recently posted a video on how I use pigments for caked on dirt/mud which may be helpful ?

You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGA32YSK9Uw

Wow!
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Laura, you're the best! I don't know how I missed those titles in the Master Class section (it must be an old guy thing, you know, going blind!).

I have a Hasegawa 1/72 M3 LEE Mk.I that would be perfect for a test platform. I also have 2 more Tamiya 1/35 M48A3's I can play with.

Ken I just saw that video this morning @ SMA (I just joined that site today).

Ok, so I have to place an order for materials.
Is that a particular line or brand you guys would recommend I get or any product you would say "stay away from that"?

Thanks again everyone, this really helps alot.

Howard

Black-Sheep1 wrote:
Ok, so I have to place an order for materials.
Is that a particular line or brand you guys would recommend I get or any product you would say "stay away from that"?

Thanks again everyone, this really helps alot.

Howard

BLACKSHEEP,

Here's a New Guy on th market for Pigments. I have tried his stuff & It Ranks right up there with those Higher priced Guys, But this Guy is Local ( U.S. east coast) It's easy to order.

I've used this line of Pigments & Fixed it with Tamiya Thinner & EVEN Shot it through My Airbrush mixed 50/50 with Tam. thinner.

IMHO - save some $$ & go with Model Makerz for your Pigments. - http://modelmakerz.com/partners.html - He has Vietnam Earth. A very Rich Tone !!

I like MIG & Windsor & Newton for My Oil paints - ( washes ) thinned with Turpenoid (Blue Label - cause there is a Very Big Difference between th two types of Turpenoid )

Just My $.02 ....

ERIK

Cheyenne hit the nail on the head with practise practise and then do it some more. I am new to this myself and all the tutorials in the world haven't done half as much as sitting down and giving different things a go for myself. If anything, while I understand the tutorial it only serves to confuse me with all the different techniques ...which to use, where and why.
Reasearching about it all is great but don't limit yourself by subscribing to one particular theory. Give them all a go and find what works for you.

As has been suggested with the base in acrylic and weather in oil/enamel and vice versa when you take the first option you can sit there with a plethora of oils and weather till your heart is content. If you don't like it make sure you have a bottle of solvent close by and remove it all with a clean brush. Clean slate- start again.

There are quite a few short informative beginner's tutorials on u-tube if you search for them. Personally,I can attest to the fact that many of the masters on this site are more than happy to answer any questions.

ebookee.com and other free book/magazine sharing sites have dozens of titles to download. Of course they have a few copyrighted books listed when they shouldn't but usually they are removed fairly quickly due to infrigement reasons. When asking a friend if he was aware that books of his were offered for free download online he said he was happy for older ones to remain there as marketing exercisesfor his newer titles. Because of this there are often slightly older and more basic mags/books on weathering and military vehicle painting available for free download. They sometimes have freeware uploaded by online proofreaders but they are a bit harder to come accross.

Ken Abrams wrote:
There are a lot of modelers videos on youtube as well, usually entering keywords in the search function will bring you some results that you may find helpful.

I just recently posted a video on how I use pigments for caked on dirt/mud which may be helpful ?

You can see it here:

Ken's video is really great! My wife wants to know where you found the Vin Diesel looking guy.

Also look for "ScaleModelMedic"'s videos on YouTube - you may even find a link from Ken's channel.

Black sheep check your e-mail I sent you a step by step on weathering ...... I would have gotten too you sooner but I didnt realize you were on tnt until I saw this post and I have been in the hospital as well ..... everybody is right just ask and you shall receive .

Ken Abrams wrote:

You can see it here:

That's COOL Ken, I was going to say I don't know why I missed this, I do, life has been nuts lately.

Most enjoyable 10 minutes I've had in a couple of days.

Question though, and Since this is Weathering 101 I think we're on topic.

Would it be a true statement to say that we can get pretty much the same effect with a Dot filter as we do with this pigment treatment? (exempting the blown mud technique at the end, I REALLY liked that! )

Back