• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vallejo: color match between "air" and "brush"

wds

Can anyone tell me if there is a good color match between the Vallejo "Air" (Airbrush paint) and their "Model Color" (brush-on paints)?
I would like to air brush some large areas, but I want to be able to touch up and detail with a brush.

Maybe I should be asking if one can brush paint the "Air" colors? I have amassed a large collection of the Tamiya acrylics, and I like the way that they spray, but we all know that they can be troublesome to brush. So can I brush the "Air", or do I get one of each "air" and "brush" in the same color.

Sorry for the long winded confusing question. :blush: Don't get a headache. :laugh:

Thanks for your consideration,

Bill

Bill I brush with the Air colors all the time. It's more like a thick wash right out of the bottle, squirt some out on a palette and let it evaporate a bit, it thickens up. Actually I like to use the Model Color for airbrush, thin it out and it's the same as Model Air only the bottle last longer! (y)

Bill I brush with the Air colors all the time. It's more like a thick wash right out of the bottle, squirt some out on a palette and let it evaporate a bit, it thickens up. Actually I like to use the Model Color for airbrush, thin it out and it's the same as Model Air only the bottle last longer! (y)

Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

I had read that you cannot spray the "Model color" or that it was problematic or difficult, or something. :S
I thought " They don't mean ME!" "I can do it"! ... Wrong!
I t was all stringey and ropey, and I spent the next 10 minutes flushing the airbrush with an ocean of lacquer thinner. I don't want a repeat of that.

I'll try brushing some "Air".

Thanks,

Bill

Bill you can paint model air by brush. You can spray model colour but you need to thin with water. Distilled is better than tap. You can get better results using their airbrush thinner. Dont use alcohol or you get a gooey gunky mess.
James

Hi Bill,

Like the others already said: you can spray Model Color.
Essential is to find the right thinning ratio, preferably with Vallejo's own Airbrush Thinner.
This may vary from color to color or even bottle.
Remember : you dont have to cover all in one layer, 2 or 3 diluted layers are fine or even better.

For filters waters is good enough (60% or more water)
Air pressure is also important, I never go above 1 bar (= 15 PSI)

I also add a drop or two of retarder, keeps it from drying too quick. Problem I have with all Vallejo paints is drying on the tip of the needle. Retarder helps prevent that. Like Willem said, the ratios vary from bottle to bottle and colors, even for what you're doing I would think. I have had to thin Model Color to brush sometimes.

Hi Bill. Seems to me Model Master Acryl works well for thinning if you have some handy but distilled water works also.

Make sure you seal the paint when you're done as it stays quite soft for some time.

Cheers, Christian B)

Either way works for me, brush MA or airbrush MC. As Bob stated, you get a lot more bang for your buck if you thin MC to airbrush, you pay for the convenience of MA.

Now I just I buy my colors in MC, then thin them in a separate 17ml bottle (roughly 50% with Vallejo Airbrush thinner) and smack a label on it, so I basically have both at my fingertips, but they come from the same lot so color should match as well as can be expected.

Hey Bill

If you haven't already bought the paint, maybe try some of the new Ammo of Mig acrylics.

They say brush or airbrush...haven't tried them yet myself.

Tom

Thanks for all the feed-back everyone!

Bill you can paint model air by brush. You can spray model colour but you need to thin with water. Distilled is better than tap. You can get better results using their airbrush thinner. Dont use alcohol or you get a gooey gunky mess.
James
Thanks James. That must have been my problem, I probably diluted the paint with alcohol or tonic water. :laugh:
I think the best bet is their proprietary thinner. That should be my next purchase.

Thanks Willem ! I'm taking notes! Proprietary thinner.

Thanks again Bob! (y)

Hi Bill. Seems to me Model Master Acryl works well for thinning if you have some handy but distilled water works also.

Make sure you seal the paint when you're done as it stays quite soft for some time.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian.
I have been having problems with the paint just rubbing off my figures due to rough handling. (paint is soft for several days) What do you seal it with?

Thanks ausf. Much appreciated.

..... If you haven't already bought the paint, maybe try some of the new Ammo of Mig acrylics. .....

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm trying to avoid adding another paint MFR to my palette. I'm obviously having a hard time getting a grip on my Tamiya's, Vallejo's, Humbrols, Pactra-Model Master, ... :( :laugh: . Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Bill

I also add a drop or two of retarder, keeps it from drying too quick. Problem I have with all Vallejo paints is drying on the tip of the needle. Retarder helps prevent that. Like Willem said, the ratios vary from bottle to bottle and colors, even for what you're doing I would think. I have had to thin Model Color to brush sometimes.

I have that same problem with acrylics, probably worse then most since I live in the desert. What retarder do you use MP? I tried some I picked up at Michael's and it made a huge mess...

Thanks for the help
Mike

Hi Mike,

I recognize the dry tip problem, had it myself for a long time.
Vallejo's own airbrush thinner already acts as retarder, so no need to add more.

For other purposes Vallejo has a retarder in bottle, 70.597.
But retarder or not: thinning is a must ! Also for the brush.

Greetz, Willem

I have that same problem with acrylics, probably worse then most since I live in the desert. What retarder do you use MP? I tried some I picked up at Michael's and it made a huge mess...

Thanks for the help
Mike

I find it at Hobby Lobby, Liquitex is the brand name.

http://www.liquitex.com/

If you don't have a local store you can get it at Blick

http://www.dickblick.com/brands/liquitex/

I've used the Vallejo thinner as well, think it does work better with it but I can not find a good supply of it, I'd rather buy a larger bottle than the little one the paint comes in.

Hey Bill

If you haven't already bought the paint, maybe try some of the new Ammo of Mig acrylics.

They say brush or airbrush...haven't tried them yet myself.

Tom

...and since they are nothing more than an exact copy of the AK Interactive new formula paint, one could use them as well.

:coolio

However, as for using the Vallejo which is already in possession, I recommend using their specific airbrush thinner for airbrushing (even Model Color) or their Thinner Medium for brush painting. While water does work, it doesn't give quite the same results as their specific thinners, which do work better.

I've used the Vallejo thinner as well, think it does work better with it but I can not find a good supply of it, I'd rather buy a larger bottle than the little one the paint comes in.

Like most things from overseas that can be hard to come by, ebay to the rescue.

60 ML

200 ML

Thanks for all the feed-back everyone!

James
Thanks James. That must have been my problem, I probably diluted the paint with alcohol or tonic water. :laugh:
I think the best bet is their proprietary thinner. That should be my next purchase.

Thanks Willem ! I'm taking notes! Proprietary thinner.

Thanks again Bob! (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian.
I have been having problems with the paint just rubbing off my figures due to rough handling. (paint is soft for several days) What do you seal it with?

Thanks ausf. Much appreciated.

..... If you haven't already bought the paint, maybe try some of the new Ammo of Mig acrylics. .....

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm trying to avoid adding another paint MFR to my palette. I'm obviously having a hard time getting a grip on my Tamiya's, Vallejo's, Humbrols, Pactra-Model Master, ... :( :laugh: . Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, sorry for the late reply .

For sure, I have way more trick for the Tamiya's and Gunze paints since they are my primary paints for aircraft and act basically the same.

Vallejo and Polyscale are a different animal altogether so you probably need to experiment there .

For a paint retarder, I have been using Galeria products . The retarder and the flow improver work well with Tamiya and Gunze alike. I feel pretty sure that it will work with the others as well . Go by the instructions.

I use Future for sealing my paints . I even mix it in with the Tamiya or Gunze at 30 to 50 % and it works well. Don't forget it needs thinner also. This makes for a very hard finish when sprayed with 92 % alcohol.

AS I said, you need to experiment with the rest of the paints but a coat of Future works well on all of them.

PM me if you have further questions .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back