• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat Done!

nerdling

I picked up the a Tamiya Wildcat a few weeks ago for next to nothing. Only been working on it for maybe a day so far. Grabbed an Eduard zoom set to liven up the cockpit a bit.

IMG_7607.JPG

This is my first time using an oil wash. So not really sure if I got it right or not. But gotta start somewhere.
I also fixed the kits one "fatal" flaw :rotf Seen some people really complain about the solid floor. Took all of a minute to fix that.

IMG_7608.JPG

You can see that the kit seat is a bit off in shape. I realize the green should be more of a dark green, but this was the closest match to the green that Eduard supplied.

IMG_7610.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

I also picked up some sea sponges at Michael's yesterday. I really like the random pattern they provide for the weathering.

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

I know the Chef will be please... :tomato

Looking good so far Ryan. :pilot

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

I've been a bit guilty of not taking photos of this nearly enough lol. So this is where she sits as of right now. The only kit decals are the small emblem below the cockpit. Everything else came from the decal dungeon. I also tried my hand at painting markings for the first time on the tail strips. They aren't perfect but way better than a decal.

IMG_7620.JPG

IMG_7621.JPG

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

One of my favorite Wildcat schemes. With the stripes and before they got rid of the meatball in the star. Looking very nice (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

Thanks guys. Ok quick question. I want to try an oil wash over this beast. Will it be ok to do that over a Vallejo Clear coat. The kit does have a primer coat of Krylon but on tops of that it is all acrylic. So would the clear coat protect everything? Also what would the best color be. I've never used an oil wash before in my life before this kit. I was thinking probably just some burnt umber and burnt sienna combo.

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

Thanks guys. Ok quick question. I want to try an oil wash over this beast. Will it be ok to do that over a Vallejo Clear coat. The kit does have a primer coat of Krylon but on tops of that it is all acrylic. So would the clear coat protect everything? Also what would the best color be. I've never used an oil wash before in my life before this kit. I was thinking probably just some burnt umber and burnt sienna combo.

Got some Future? I'd seal it with that. I tried to get creative with the seal coat on the Tiger and almost got burned.

Also what thinner will you use for the oils?

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

I'd be using a bottle of Weber Odorless Turpenoid turpentine substitute. This stuff right here http://www.dickblick.com/products/weber-odorless-turpenoid/ I picked some up at michaels awhile back but haven't had the chance to use it other then on the Viking Ship. Might grab out a spare wing or something and paint it up to see what happens.

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

Yeah I'd test on something first, not sure how hot that stuff is. I've been using Humbrols lately but I know it's hard to get ahold of sometimes.

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

I think a good coat of Future is sound advise. I know that one works for sure. Give some curing time though.

Chances are the Testor's gloss coat would most likely work as well although I have not tried it yet.

Cheers, Christian

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

Looks terrific Ryan!

For your oil wash try a medium to light gray, it will make the panel lines stand out a bit without it looking too stark. Avoid using black oil washes except for places where the engine would normally leak oil.

Matrixone

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

Sorry, just seeing this one now,

Looks awesome Ryan, that tail masking came out fine!

USS Ranger F4F-4 Wildcat

Calling this one done. I decided to not go with the oil wash on this bird. I went ahead and used some Flory wash instead. The paint is some left over Pollyscale USN Blue Gray and USN Light Gray. Very nice paint. The photos show the blue as being more gray than it really is. Decals are mostly aftermarket stuff. The small emblem uner the cockpit is from the kit sheet. It was also the only one that had issues with silvering.

IMG_7630.JPG

IMG_7631.JPG

IMG_7632.JPG

IMG_7633.JPG

IMG_7634.JPG

IMG_7635.JPG

Back