• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stuka G2 FINISHED

paddy

So i have this Hase G2 tank buster Which i bought because i picked up the Aires resin engine cheap on e-bay. Now i am not sure i want to use
the engine :)

DSC_2001.JPG

I have been wondering what camo to give this ? either blue and two shades green or white Snow Camo

DSC_2003.JPG

I also have the Eduard PE set which i was told is pretty much essential as it has the hinges for the flaps which are just moulded triangles in the kit, also with a large canopy its worth detailing the cockpit i think

DSC_2004.JPG

This is the resin set, its pretty basic and doesnt include cockpit or seats like most of these kits, it does include engine covers but they are for use instead of the engine as they will not fit over the top of it.
I think on reflection i will fit the engine. The set does include wing gun bays but maybe i will not include these as i always think gun bays are not really that interesting in 1/48 unless you have a magnifying glass :)

This will not be my usual speed build as i have a large amount of work to catch up with after our lockdown, at least i have had the covid vaccination now but that takes a couple of weeks to really kick in so have to be careful still..

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind about the resin set Paddy, and I found this out with some C&K resin for my 1/32 Ju88. The resin isn't always all that it is cracked up to be. Do some research on how things are supposed to look before doing the cut and chop. Turned out the C&K resin was crap and the kit was almost spot on with my Ju88.

Thanks Paul, not a lot of chopping to do here as the kit has a removable front end to allow for different models and the Aires kit fits on the std parts. that said i am doing my research but the lack of survivors means not a lot of modern Hi res pictures for detail.

It might seem a daft thing to say but you can never actually start to do these aires builds till you have the engine bulkhead in because up to that point it could all be a waste of time /or go very horribly wrong :)
As usual there is a fair amount of cutting to do and you pretty much have to work that out for yourself. it needs to be spot on because everything is mounted off the bulkhead so it might look ok now but if its a few degrees out, hang an engine on it and it will look very "bent"
I forgot to take a "before" picture so pic one is after front/ top /bottom has been cut away

DSC_2049.JPGDSC_2050.JPGDSC_2051.JPG

This bulk head does not want to fit and will fight you all the way. the old saying measure twice cut once is out the window here , its test fit 50 times, adjust 51 times then decide thats probably about as good as it will ever be.

Good news is its all down hill now :)

Having spent an hour pondering over how to get the machine gun compartment to fit in the wing and studying the PE and resin instructions i now find the G series Stuka didnt have machine guns in the wing :) The upgrade i have is for a D model and the G was a variation of the D to carry the cannon....but without the machine guns......Doh

Paddy, as it states under my nickname (beneath the avatar) I can provide "information overload," if you want it. Yep, manuals, photos, et cetera. Sometimes not knowing is best... "ignorance is bliss" is the saying?

:devil:

Rear gun position with armor shield (another image has it without)
1614696727772.png

Regards,

I really don’t seem to get on with Eduard PE

After several hours building the wing mounts for the cannons in PE and several more hours looking for parts on the carpet, I just couldn’t get them to line up with the mounts on the cannon. The mounts on the wing seemed a couple of mm further apart and these are very delicate parts that don’t take much handling. In the end I cut them off the wings again and went for the kit parts. On fitting the kit parts I realised they were round the other way and checking back the instructions from Eduard are printed back to front …doh !

Too late now so its kits parts which TBH look just as good.

148 stuka (3).JPG

Work on the engine and mounts has stopped as I know from experience that I need to finish the model bar the engine as once it fitted it will be so fragile you wouldn’t want to handle the model more than you have too and certainly not try and mask it off for painting

148 stuka (2).JPG

I also cut the flap actuator’s off the kit wings to be replaced by micro thin PE. That might be a mistake as well given no one will notice and they have no strength/integrity what so ever 😊

148 stuka (4).JPG

148 stuka (5).JPG
148 stuka (6).JPG

I have to say i am just going through the motions with this. What is it that makes some builds exciting where you really look forward to finding some time to do the next step...and others that seem to be something that you need to finish to get it out of the way :)
I suppose in some respects its the subject ? I like the challenge of after market but i dont really like German stuff in General which i suppose, given they tried to blow us off the face of the earth is not that surprising :) .

148 stuka (1).JPG

:popcorn Sweet........love this kit as I have it in my stash too. Your paint questions at the start - definately a peeling winter cam over splinter green.

I think this is a brilliant build so far Paddy.
I am planing on doing an Italian Ju-87 (Pichiatello) in 1/72. I would love to add gun bays if they were available...

Cheers and good luck

Alex

Looking good so far.

Hmmmm... AM/PE versus kit parts... I have enough of a challenge working with what the kit has. Everything else except seatbelts is a NO-No

Thanks Guys, I will try a bit harder, definitely leaning towards a Russian Front camo :) but Canopy masking next :cool:

Looks great Paddy! Alex, I would love to see yours; I've been wanting to do an Italian Stuka in 1/72 scale!

Back