• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

unusual picture

paddy

In all my years i have never seen a picture of a the RHS door open on a Hurricane. I suppose because it wasnt hinged ... but there doesnt seem to be any fittings on the frame ?

b3035c61b433f25994a34f9969ddc8cd.jpg

No 1 Squadron's CO, Squadron Leader James MacLachlan, in the cockpit of his Hurricane IIC at Tangmere, 20 November 1941.

I looked this guy up, in this picture he is only 22 , only has one arm but is still flying as Co.

Probably so it would be easier for him to bail out with oly one arm, but man that would be cold flying like that.
James

maybe there was some latching mechanism. on the door that used compression from the inside. I think you can use a dart board with names and find all these men having interesting stories. :salute:

It isn't a door as such, but an emergency exit panel. There was two dowels on the bottom that held it in place. Two spring loaded plungers on the on the upper fore and aft edges secured the panel. The plungers were controlled by a single lever mounted on the panel that when pulled aft and up released the panel. The lever could only be operated when the canopy was slid aft to the full open position.

Cheers,
RichB

Back