• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter Geschutzwagen, yep another one!

I have been working away on this kit for a couple of weeks. Only additions have been an RB barrel, worth its weight in gold as the detail is superb, and some plastic card bolts. However I may invest in some frul tracks for the beastie as I am not that impressed with the kit supplied items.
I also enhanced the surfaces of the hull plates etc. with Mr surfacer and a round burr in a motor tool.

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

Painting wise I used a whole can of tamiya primer on the bugger and then sprayed the insides of the fighting compartment and lower hull plus wheels in red oxide mixed from tamiya colours. German grey for the gun cradle and dark yellow plus a slug of white where also used for the remaining parts. A bit of colour modulation on selected parts followed then lots of micro chipping on the red oxide parts with vallejo colours and a sponge.

Next some streaking with oils, a pin wash and a drop or two of MIG filters followed. The camo was sprayed free hand and my idea was to try and replicate tree boughs and hedgerows on the vehicle as I did not want to revert to stripes on this one. I'm calling ths my "oak leaf scheme" as it reminds me of oak leaves, totally unintentional the airbrush just flowed that way!

DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0142.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg

DSCF0147.jpg

DSCF0148.jpg

and that's where I am now with the model sorry for the long post.
Pete

The more the merrier!

I started my kit (for a review) and gave away the carrier. I kept the gun and later ended up with the separately available kit. :silly:

I like the splotch camouflage.

Regards,

I really like this. One of these days I'm going to have to get one. Very cool indeed.
James

cheers Guys glad you like it. Here is some more work for you. I have added some streaking and staining to the outer hull with oils followed with some chipping using vallejo colours and then a pin wash in selected areas. The fighting compartment received a few coats of MIG filters and the seats painted vallejo dark rubber (I just love this colour)

Once dry a coat of winsor&newton galleria acrylic matt varnish was sprayed on for a nice flat finish. Further weathering will now be added using pigments

DSCF0150.jpg

DSCF0151.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0153.jpg

DSCF0154.jpg

DSCF0157.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

DSCF0042-1.jpg

Hiya Pete.

That is a nice looking monster Pak Wagon you are doing there. I like the colors that you are using, and indeed that rubber color looks great. I might need to try to find some of that myself. And I was wondering about the chipping, as I am starting to do some experimenting on that myself. Do you use a paint brush, a sponge, or both for your chips and scratches.

Gary B)

Cheers guys glad you like it, Gary I use a combination of brush and sponge for the chipping. I use various types of foam such as fish tank filters and cleaning sponges.

Here is some more progress for you all. I have added a mixture of MIG pigments both wet and dry starting in the fighting compartment. The wheels all received a coat of games workshop boltgun metal on the contact surfaces plus the model had some graphite rubbed on in selected areas. Just need to add a little bit of pigments to the upper hull engine area.

DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0171.jpg

DSCF0172.jpg

I am currently fighting a loosing battle to get paint to stick to the kit tracks. Not had this problem before with trumpeter tracks so I will probably get a set of fruil metal tracks which I feel will look much better. I am now also concentrating on the gun and carriage.
Pete

Well the tracks have beaten me so I am waiting on a new set of fruil tracks for this one. I have tweaked the gun carriage and mount a bit with some dry brushing and also got the barrel sorted

DSCF0176.jpg

DSCF0175.jpg

DSCF0177.jpg

I have also ben thinking about the final model and have decided to do a small dio to show the size of this beast and also to help protect it during moves to shows etc. Whilst sorting out my spares box I came across an old tamiya kettenkrad I had build years ago but never used. I thought this would make an excellent secondary vehicle to the scene. A quick strip down of the parts and some paint remover left me with this

DSCF0188.jpg

Using the excellent wings and wheels book on the subject i have added lots of missing details to the kit using stuff from the spares box as well as plastic card and wire.

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Pete

B) Nice work all round. The dark green cammo looks great and Ilike your dirt and dust build-up in the fighting compartment.

Ian.

Cheers chaps glad you like it. The tracks arrived this week and as I am off sick with a torn cartilage in my knee I was able to get them built in a day (nothing else I can do!)

DSCF0011.jpg

They really do look the biz and add quite a considerable bit of weight to the model. after a bath in blacken it and a good dose of MIG pigments they where dully fitted to the hull.

DSCF0019.jpg

The gun cradle and carriage where fitted into the hull next, this called for three pairs of hands and lots of patience! here it is before fitting.

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

and the complete model

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

Figures and the kettenkrad next. The kettenkrad was sprayed in a very light coat of tamiya dark yellow and the trailer xtracrylix panzer grey for a bit of interest

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

the figures are from miniart and look very nice. Painting the main colours in vallejo colours. For a change I am going to attempt to paint the flesh areas in acrylics instead of my usual method of oils.

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

more soon
Pete

Hi Pete.

Man o man, but that is a big ole monster. Are you going to put the Kettenkatrad under the barrel to emphasize the size of that huge gun, or sitting beside the thing? and those figures look cool. I have been thinking about trying to paint with acrylics, but I don't want to try it and like it, then have to buy a whole new range of paints :duh .

Gary B)

wow, thats a very neat job. I just picked one of these Geschutzwagens up at our local hobby show today and I agree about the tracks...........it really needs fruils........

This is a great looking build. I really like your weathering. I can't wait to see it finished.

I can only imagine (or guess) how the Germans would have transported this beast if it had been put into production.

Thanks for your kind words chaps. Well the saga continues the kettenkrad has had a couple of coats of filters, pin wash and some chipping added then a matt coat and finally some pigments. The trailers load is not final I just need to tweak things a little to my liking.

DSCF0065.jpg

ASDSDS.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

And the figures turned out rather well. Quite pleased with the flesh areas especially as I painted them in acrylics.

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

I am now onto the base, nice and simple, nothing too elaborate or big as I don't have the space. Gone for a concrete road for a change

DSCF0063.jpg

base1.jpg

More soon
Pete

Back