• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tool Time - The most expensive brushes in the world

Interesting video!

Obviously a lot of talent and skill in that factory. A level of craftsmanship rarely seen these days.

I can understand why they cost so much and why some people would purchase them, but the day I spend $300 on a brush is the day I quit this hobby!

If purchasing a brush that expensive would help me generate income that's one thing. But helping me spend money? Don't need any of that, thanks! 💸

Saw that. Keep in mind those are big ass ones.

I use only their Series 7 for miniatures and the triple zero I used on the 1/35 eye that's my Avatar was $8 from Dick Blick.

Being that I have never spent more that $15 on one and the ones I have that are well over a decade old are still perfect, holding their tip like day one, they are a bargain. I bought a pack of three 20/0 brushes that were the highest rated detail brush on Amazon. They all curled and are useless after a week as well as the same price as one 7.

A brush may be worth $300, but the people who can afford it can't paint, they're just making themselves feel better about something.

But seriously, for any modeler who wants to do either figures or fine detail on a kit like woodgrain on tools or chipping, you could get three different size W&N Series 7s for about $30 and unless you lose them, they'll perform year in, year out. I grabbed two of all sizes from 2 down to 000 a long time ago and still haven't opened the second one of any of them.

Jeff you are right. The one they are showing and talking about is the size 14. I am tempted to get some of the smaller brushes now as the tips on mine all have done the curl jagged thing. Also I don't think we would want to use that large brush anyway as it is intended for watercolor.

I mainly thought the video was fascinating for the skill shown in what the ladies do.

Jeff you are right. The one they are showing and talking about is the size 14. I am tempted to get some of the smaller brushes now as the tips on mine all have done the curl jagged thing. Also I don't think we would want to use that large brush anyway as it is intended for watercolor.

I mainly thought the video was fascinating for the skill shown in what the ladies do.

Oh yeah, I loved the video. Made me appreciate them even more. Theres something so admirable about craftspeople like that at the top of their game.

Even though the ones I buy are probably the discarded hairs from those beauties or maybe even made by apprentices, I don't know, but I do know they perform well beyond my expectations.

My first thought when I saw the video was 'I'd be the guy in the room who flipped on the industrial fan by accident'.

Looks like prices went up since I bought, a trip zero is $10. May be demand as well. Looks like the restock is soon though:

You can 10% orders and a bunch of other stuff is you look for promo codes. Keep in mind there is a miniature line designed for us.

I also use Jerry's since they don't charge NY tax:

Bottom line is, buy from a real art retailer, not Amazon. There are a lot of counterfeits out there. I've read Amazon reviews and the bad ones usually mention them being thrown in an envelope, etc. W&N brushes come in a tube with tip protection.

Brushes are best selected in person, but that's impossible now, so a good supplier and a great brush increases your chances. I found even if the tip on a 7 is bent at first, it pops back after washing.

I normally just use mild bar soap or shampoo if they're really dirty since it's hair, but recently bought some of this stuff which is widely recommended:

I just ordered some of that crazy Chrome from them, should have thought about this then. Next time I guess...

Ordered a couple of the S7 brushes to try out. Pickings were kinda limited at the moment, so I was unable to get the primary sizes I use, but we'll see. I've been experimenting w/ a lot of different brushes over the past couple years but haven't found any I really like. I've got a couple now that seem to be alright, but they've already got curling tips and they haven't even been used all that much.

The lettering brushes Dad used were Langnickel squirrel or camel hair. They can get pricey.

Back