• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

To Hobby Shop or not

T

terrya

Happy New Year all.

We hear a bit about local Hobby Shops not doing too well in the interent age, well this little snippit may give some indication why :unsure:

A local Hobby Shop didn't order any Trumpeter T-62 kits when the local diistributor got them in, why you ask. :huh:

No not because of any negitive feedback or the like, the reason given for not ordering any was "I already have the Tamiya one in stock"

Go figure :eek:hmy:

Cheers
Terry A

Great timing Terry. I stopped in the LHS (which is 70 miles away) yesterday to pick up some paints. Figured with the markup they have on them that's enough to keep them in business. I asked about USAAF Yellow Wings Yellow, the reply I got as basically any yellow will work as he went back to his studying whatever it was he was studying on the internet....

Then I ask about slow cure CA, he didn't look up and said the Thick stuff will give you about a 10th of a second...When checking out he ask if I got any CA. "Sounds like Any CA will work" was my reply.

It ain't Rocket Science.

Funny you should mention that Terry. I have similar arguments with my LHS all the time. Only because he doesn't want to stock something, doesn't mean that people don't want it! My main bugbear is Plastruct products. He has a very small amount of Plastruct stuff that Evergreen does not make a equivalent of. When I ask for a "oddball" product like hex strips or such like, I am always given the lecture of why he doesn't get stuff like that in because "No One buys it!".

I have no qualms with buying from my LHS, and I have no problems with paying a bit more for products I can get on the net purely because I want to help support our local businesses, BUT they need to at least need to look like they want to help when you ask for something they don't have on the shelf.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Cheers

Rob

Wow Rob,
Are we shopping at the same place? I've been reduced to go there for paint and brass rods/etc. "can't get Tamiya extra thin" But, I did get Trump's Maz 537 (inter) w/trailer for $119.00. So once in awhile a good deal. I do drive down to CRM in St Louis from time to time (90 miles) Customer service is an art. I have been in the field from a Food servcie background for 22 years. I'll go anywhere, spend a bit more if Iam taking care of. (I am pretty easy to make happy) Ryan

I can relate to what you are saying...
We have one local hobby shop on the island. He orders what "HE" wants
and doesn't care about anyone else... Our model club told him that if
he was to keep the paints stocked we would come there to buy them even
though they are more expensive than the hobby shops off island.
He said he didn't care if we went off island to get stuff.
(So most of us do).
I don't get to Seattle very often (about 2 hours south) but when I
do I try and hit a bunch of the hobby shops down that way.
Shawn

:eek:hmy: . . :huh: . . :S . . :hmmm . . :idonno . . :blush:

Wow ! ! !

About the only thing I can say is, you all need to move to Burbank, Ca. I have 3 hobby shops within a 15 minute drive for the most distant, and one distributor that allows people to come in and "shop" around their small warehouse if you call in advance on fridays. The hobby shop I frequent most often deals mostly in trains,and he has a fairly small selection of kits, are very friendly and knowledgable. but they have a large selection of paints, and he will order absolutley anything for you and gives a 20% discount on ANYTHING you special order if he can find it. And he usually can. I also get a 20% discount on anything in stock on his shelves, except magazines and paints there. And beyond that, he really knows what the heck he is doing as far as taking care of customers. The next closest one however aint all that great. The first clue is the large homemade sign in the middle of the glass door that says " Absolutley no refunds, returns or exchanges on ANYTHING. Reciept or not." These guys are mostly radio controll shop with a small selection of plastic kits. I go there about once every three months. And the other shop is a craft shop, but they have a good selection of kits and paints. But whole they are not obnoxious, they are not all that friendly or talkative as they are usually busy and self absorbed in building or painting things. But when you come to the register, they are at least friendly, and don't make you wait while they do some last little bit of painting something or whatever.

I uaually only do mail order once or twice a year :lol: .

A lot of your stories are really baffling to me. Especially considering that my brother and I ran a hobby shop in the late 80's. So I do have a little bit of insight into this. Although we did get out of it just as the internet exploded. The one that gets me is when a shop is out of an item and tells you they will not order it because it doesn't sell. Well if it didn't sell, they wouldn't be sold out requiring you to ask them to order more :eek:hmy: .

Gary B)

I am thankful to have my LHS onl 10min from my home,and it is great for picking up paint,glue and supplies.He is a nice guy and always knocks some money off my order.I don't want to think about how it is to have to order everything by mail.But at the same time I can't bring myself to buy all my kits from him because of the big mark up.So I try to balance things and buy all my supplies,a few kits a year,and my magazines from him.I just hope he is able to stay in business.He does sell R/C,railroading,and fantasy gaming supplies,when I go there sometimes the gamers are all there.So hopefully he will be around.

My local hobby shop in New York City went under... but the shop owner still sells out of the trunk of his car! We can meet on a corner (say Fridays at Lunch), he comes and parks the car, brings your order plus anything he thinks you may be interested in. Strictly cash. One sad soul nicknamed him as Homeless Hobbies.
:blush:

Another local (non hobby shop) offers FABULOUS discounts on plastics (up to 30% off). You call him and place your order. He lets you know when it arrives and the shipping total. You mail him a check or postal money order. Checks must clear before he sends. If he knows you he ships out ASAP.

Best of all, he goes to many shows as S & J Hobbies so you can browse his wares. Since I am working in Staten Island training the NYPD, I sometimes visit his home/warehouse. If int he US, it is a good deal so send him an e-mail ebagnoli@aol.com (tell him I sent you)...

Regards,

Not all bad. CRM is awesome! The stock the service and the people. Worth the drive, Just had driving thru Card country! (sorry Panzer) Go Cubs!

:( Well I live in central New South Wales :( , we have a toy Kingdom ! When I go in there I get swamped by 10 year olds thinking I am the real Barbie :blush: .

The guy sells a teeny weeny bit of overpriced 1/35th scale , mostly Academy :unsure: .

His token supply of paints is missing anything but violet , yellow , chrome green , pink and clear Blue :( . I ask him for extra thin Tamiya cement or Testors , he grabs a bottle of Contacta Revell cement , he says "all the pros use it !" :huh: I actually asked him who and he pointed to a model in his showcase :huh: ........... :unsure: "Nooooo Richie uses the one I just asked for !"

He assures me he uses this :blink

Richie has introduced me as his fiancee :blink , I think he has sniffed too much Contacta !

EVERYTHING I get is from Mail order ! Even Sydney seems to lack a decent Hobby shop with Hobbyco (no price favours there) being about it !

If you think you have a hard deal at a hobby shop Terry , you should try being a girl in one :laugh: !

Jenny :kiss:

sharkmouth wrote:
My local hobby shop in New York City went under... but the shop owner still sells out of the trunk of his car! We can meet on a corner (say Fridays at Lunch), he comes and parks the car, brings your order plus anything he thinks you may be interested in. Strictly cash. One sad soul nicknamed him as Homeless Hobbies.
:blush:

Goodfellas Hobby would work as a name ... :woohoo: (I amuze you like a Clown?) :mpup

the LHS' around here loses a lot of business to mail order because of prices. One takes the MSRP and adds about 20%. The other, has some stuff for triple the Squadron price.

Have none here. Closest is 300km away. But coming from a hobby shop family I'll tell you the secret to a good salesman. They have to love what they are doing and not be in it for the paycheck.
James

Everyone loves a bargain .

We have around 3-4 local shops in Brisbane and I visit them
occasionly for paints,glues,brush's and tools.
Very rarely to buy models .

cruising the internet for the best bargain and to have the item at a few a clicks of the mouse getting delivered to your home is perfect. :woohoo:

I gave up relying on hobbystore salespeople to let you down with answers like.
we do not stock that item :angry:
Its on order and it takes months before it arrives :angry:
Or ,I've never heard of that item :angry:

The faceless reliable hobby supplier works just well for me :laugh: :)

Michael :)

4 or 5 minute epoxy? I've started using it more and you can get a nice thin bead then use your finger to wipe off excess. Gives you some setting time. hth
James

moon puppy wrote:
Well I'm still without a slow cure CA, anyone have a suggestion?

I use Zapagap yellow which is very thick , but I will give you a tip , buy it in the small bottles , do not think buying the big bottle is good value as it will be dried up before you are half way thru it ;)

This info is free , we do not just happen to have a box on special , and it is not the only CA in stock . :laugh:

Richie even uses it (so I have been told ;) )

Jenny :kiss:

Back