• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Scrap Buggy

OK you scratch build buds, how would you do the casters on this thing?

I've made a promise to myself this will be 100% scratch built. No kit robbing going on. Would be neat to have them work but surely not a requirement.

For the steerable casters I'm thinking of taking a square rod of styrene that's about 2mm thick and carving it down to shape then nibble out the inside where the wheel will fit.

The rear wheel mounts are pretty straight forward.

Now...how would you build the wheels?

:popcorn

I've made a promise to myself this will be 100% scratch built. No kit robbing going on. Would be neat to have them work but surely not a requirement.

For the steerable casters I'm thinking of taking a square rod of styrene that's about 2mm thick and carving it down to shape then nibble out the inside where the wheel will fit.

Do you have a punch and die set?

Dad

I think carving would be heading for some heartbreak, what I would try, if it was me would be to take a piece of flat card stock like a calling card and make the castor flat, then make the two folds- if you mess up, well cards are cheap. Once you get one you like, flatten it back out and make a couple of copies out of stock sheet styrene and fold these, or maybe if your brave try it with some aluminum? You can always reinforce the styrene sheet with another piece.

Hi Pup, I'm with Bob Sr. on this one, Slice of tubing for the tire and punch out a wheel disc to fit inside the tire. Just thinking !

Randy

Do you have a punch and die set?

Dad

:dude :dude

Got a couple different ones. :soldier

Really like the round stock for the tires. Thanks guys, we'll give that a shot. :zen

You could run down to the Hobby Lobby and check out the bead section, I know there are wheel shaped pieces that already have the hole in the center. Get some aluminum flat stock while you're there, for the brackets, fold them like you would PE. Those mini bolts and nuts will come in handy. (y)

You could run down to the Hobby Lobby and check out the bead section, I know there are wheel shaped pieces that already have the hole in the center. Get some aluminum flat stock while you're there, for the brackets, fold them like you would PE. Those mini bolts and nuts will come in handy. (y)

MP, Mike has the right idea. That sounds like the best way to go to me!

Dad

I could not find what you're talking about at the HL, but what I did was searched Sprue Bro for Round Tubing from Evergreen and ordered one each...

scrapbuggy007.jpg

What I had in mind was build up from the center cutting various thicknesses, slide one onto another building up layers. getting thicker the further out I got.

scrapbuggy008.jpg

scrapbuggy009.jpg

And I'll have it mounted on brackets in some way or another, waiting for inspiration to strike again.

Mats that's the drafting table mat. And it is nice. I use it as a cutting mat on the entire table. I wear one side out, flip it over and have another go. :mpup

I got a peak at this last weekend on the Super 8's computer, but was logged in as a guest so I couldn't comment. The wheels look like they are going to be just the ticket! (y)

:rotf

Just gathering dust Mats but thanks for the interest. Might pick it up again if I can find a better way to do the wheels.

Back