• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Type 97(ChiHa) JA Medium Tank - Complete!

Re: Tamiya Type 97(ChiHa) Japanese Medium Tank

Thanks Mike, StuG, and Sherm. (y)

Here it is with a raw-umber oil paint wash.
I had a little trouble with some of the yellow melting. (It's not visible in this shot, but up on top of the commander's cupola it is almost gone). Don't know why . :( I may touch it up or let it go. We'll see. :idonno

The wash should mellow and blend over the next day or so as it dries.

Thanks again fellas,

Bill

JA_tank_wash.jpg

v130

The Umber wash really pulls it all together does it not. Bet youre having loads of fun with it Bill (y) :popcorn

Oh seeing as I did not give enough aplause last time Whoooo YEAH!!!!! GO BILL!!! :geek :D

Bill said:
"... I had a little trouble with some of the yellow melting. (It's not visible in this shot, ..."
I can't see anything wrong from where I stand either, Bill :idonno - we have a saying here in Brazil that goes something like "what your eyes can't see, your heart won't feel", so just carry on soldier, you're doing a fine job on that tank and we're anxiously waiting for the next cool installment! :cheer:

Cheers and keep up the good work, dude! B)
Fernao

Shoot Bill, I like it, looks fine to me. Gets that worn out look. :popcorn

Looks good to me. You get that "Its been around the block a time or two" feeling. Really like it (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks guys!

Here it is with some dry-brush.
The green and brown were lightened by mixing in some of the tan. The tan was lightened with some white (all enamel). The yellow wasn't touched (except by accident).
It looks pretty grungy I know. It will get dirtier and dustier still. You can see where the yellow stripe came off on the turret and cupola.

I don’t feel like I’m driving this project, more like guiding it with a stick and a carrot. :idonno Its all good, and I'm learning.

Thanks for checking in,

Bill

Ja_20.jpg

Ja_19.jpg

v151

I don’t feel like I’m driving this project, more like guiding it with a stick and a carrot.

....once had a car like that. :D

Looking good,Bill! (y) (y)

Greetings,Ron.

I think this one will be top shelf when done - great work so far (y) :popcorn

Pardon my bellicosity, but whatever you did really toned the green down and made it look really good! (y)

Looking better everyday!
Emoticon_palmas.gif
As Mike said, the toning down really worked out well.
emoticon_nod.gif

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Thanks Fernao, Mike, Dave, and Ron!

I think that with the deadline to finish just a few days away, it's probably going to be a pinwash, some scratches and stains, and a little dusting with some pigments to wrap this up.

Thanks for all the nice comments (bellicosity aside :laugh: )! It's a pleasure sharing. :dude

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Another nice topic I discovered on my "tour of duty" on MA.

My view is always: does it look kinda real ? Can you imagine it in front of you ?
For your ChiHa: YES ! Definitely !
Some battlefield dirt/mud/dust/rust or whatever and it is fine !

Good work, compliments

Willem

Thanks Willem!

Well, I push my discomfort level up a bit with this latest weathering stage. Futured it to seal it (good thing ‘cause the hairspray removes the oil washes), hairspray was applied in several light coats, and then sprayed a very dilute (+/- 25% paint) dusting of Taqmiy XF-57 Buff. I then went at it with toothbrush and water to remove most of the "dust", just leaving where it wouldn't get worn away. Once again, the outcome is not completely in line with expectations, but OK. I’ll put on the wheels and tracks and give it another “Buff” dusting and call it done.

Thanks again for looking,

Bill

Ja22.jpg

Ja21.jpg

v203

Hairspray method for dusting.. :hmmm

(y) Bill for pushing the limits! I think it came out very nice. (y)

Heavy weathering! :ro: Excellent work Bill! :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Outstanding weathering job, Bill!!! :ro: It looks as if that Jap tank has gone through quite a bit of action. Seems like leaving your comfort zone really paid off, eh? :eek:hyeah ;)

Cheers and congrats! B)
Fernao

Back