• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Complete!

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Tracks!

Sorry for the late response, thank you Chris, Chris, Bruce, Ron and Kenny! Your comments are much appreciated.

I found the tracks! Of course, it took starting another set for the originals to turn up. :rotf Part of this experiment is that I wanted to use winterketten. James was kind enough to send me a set he wasn't using and after checking the fit, I knew I needed to try them. They had a couple mold marks to remove, but the fit is good and I really like the rugged look they give a vehicle.

h374257c.JPG

While I was waiting for the track to dry, I decided to add some mud to the lower portion of the hull that I won't be able to do when the tracks are on. Vallejo Dark Earth has a texture to it and the color is very nice. I used an old brush and stippled it on, it is water based, so you can soften the effects with a dampened brush and remove unwanted material from surrounding details.

h7161fd7.JPG

hcf622af.JPG

hed98eba.JPG

I primed the tracks with black primer, then a couple coats of Tamiya Dark Iron.

he7b857c.JPG

h83883cd.JPG

I had wrapped the tracks last weekend, let they dry and painted them today. I'll install the second run when the first has hardened a couple hours.

Much more to come thanks for coming by!

:drinks

Last edited:

:rotf Of course they appeared . :captain That's Newton's other law.

I agree Mike that does change the looks of the build a lot . The mud is looking good :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks, guys! I appreciate your taking time to look and comment. Here's where we are this morning, tracks on both sides and ready to start the weathering. You may recall I fell in love with the Dark Steel pigment from AK Interactive, it really looks good and is easy to apply. While looking on the internet, I came across a video that showed an even easier way to use these pigments. Rubber brushes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTzFDOXKV2Y

I beat feet to our local Hobby Lobby and found a set of rubber brushes in the art section and using a 40% off coupon, I toted them home. As advertised, they allow a variety of effects to be done with accuracy. Much better than a Q-Tip!

hbe17c22.JPG

h77d765f.JPG

hc0ed644.JPG

h33ea20a.JPG

Bring on the mud! :mpup

Thanks for coming by, much more to come!

That's awesome! Aggressive & beefy looking Ostketten create much interest!
:ro: (In German!)
(y) :soldier

Very interesting. I missed this post yesterday, seem to be missing a lot lately.

I'll be watching later.

Tracks look great! :soldier

neat Mike! Rubber brush set at hobby-lobby? Looks like something else to buy!!!!

Watched the Mig Master video, really neat tip! I'm heading to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. :soldier

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Coming Together

A big thank you to Chris, Bob, Bruce, Luiz and Jeff, I really appreciate you taking time to comment. :dude

Bringing the pieces together. A walk around.

h5950b6a.JPG

hd57a7fe.JPG

hb93ada8.JPG

hf6fc6ab.JPG

h157dfa3.JPG

h0aec263.JPG

hf853653.JPG

Going to fix the gap in the front plates, washes are next. Thanks for coming by!

Wow that is so neat! Really Mike, you dee-serve the title of Master.

The right side towards the front on the top run, seems to be something out of alignment, is that by design? I can see some judge with a pin light hovering over that.

Looking great! :popcorn

Thanks guys! It's shaping up. I shot some more clear to seal the whitewash and then added a dark wash to the panel lines and crevices.

hb2b94b1.JPG

h200d7d4.JPG

hc58cb65.JPG

h0964a9d.JPG

h80c885f.JPG

h61fc612.JPG

Bob, the track you saw had one of the blades bent, must have done that when I was adding mud. I will add dirt and gunk to the swing arms when I get ready to add the spatter, also to the return rollers and various areas. There's so much one could do with this type of scheme, but I don't want to overdo it.

Going to let it dry overnight and maybe hit it with flat in the morning so I can be ready to roll Friday. Much more to come, thanks for coming by!

Mike,

Great job on the white wash. That isn't easy and you've pulled it off nicely!

Bob

Back