• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Complete!

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment DAY ONE

I've been piddling with the assemblies, making sure they fit prior to starting the paint. It seems weird to have this pile of parts, but what the heck? What can go wrong??? :drool

:drinks

Famous last words?

Don't jinx yourself Mike! :zen :zen

face-plant.gif

Looking good so far!
thumbsup.gif

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment DAY ONE

Many thanks, my friends!

The "what can go wrong" was said with tongue firmly in cheek, anything can happen, it will. :silly:

Gotta get back to the bench! B)

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment SUPER B?

Wow, it's been awhile since I picked up this build! I added a few details this afternoon and since I mused about how much interest this would generate if it had wings, I added a prototype set. The Super B? :yipee

h9c62172.JPG

h87f9ff0.JPG

Of course, I'm just indulging a flight of fancy, but if you don't have a good time, what kind of time can you have? I'll get serious about painting this one as soon as it's not so damned hot! :vmad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpktBGInl60

Thanks to Rhino for dredging up the Good Morning Vietnam clip. :salute

Wings! :pilot :drunk :eek:ldguy :salute
Now I'm paying attention! StuG III Bumble bee? It flies even though engineers are convinced it cain't :tomato
StuG Super Bee? Plum Crazy, perhaps? Reach across all model boundaries!?!

I can find fun in almost anything! :rotf :drinks :dance :gogo

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Black Primer

OK, so July is NOT the time to build a winter themed vehicle, or is it? :laugh: I had read about Ultimate Primer on the 'net, but hadn't bought any. On our trip to Raleigh back in November, my buddy Mike Starling at Hayes Hobby House turned me on to Stynylrez. He says it is the real deal and I should try it. It is heavy bodied, so you need a larger tip (.5 or larger) and spray it straight from the bottle at around 30 psi. I have a Badger Anthem 155, so after ordering a quick connect fitting for it and a thorough cleaning, I was ready to start. The primer goes on smoothly, covers well, dries fast and is self leveling. Best of all, there is NO STINK! :frantic Here's what it looks like.

h928a55b.JPG

he7a716f.JPG

The Stynylrez cleans up like magic with hardware store lacquer thinner, I think I like it so far. :good:

Part of this experiment is to paint the tools before the vehicle, so here goes nothin'.

h5e5aa2d.JPG

h5732197.JPG

Next up, hairspray.

Thanks for coming by, sorry about all the dust. That happens in these old threads. :idonno

I'm the friendly Stranger in the Black Sturmgeshutz..............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiLaNEFyCiM

Stugerbelle is looking good Mike. Looking forward to more (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

Looking good Mike . Glad you got to try it out (y)

I read that it can be dry sand it but no one mentioned wet sanding .

Any practical experience yet ? :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

Tamiya StuG III B Experiment Here Goes Nuthin'!

The occasion to wet sand the Stynylrez still hasn't arisen, but I did dry sand a couple places and the recoat blended perfectly. I've been putting this off long enough and since I was at a stopping point on my Semovente, what the hell? Let's do this! To ze laboratory!

Following a couple liberal coats of cheap hairspray, I thinned Tamiya German Grey with X-20A thinner and sprayed an overall light coat.

h27511c4.JPG

h6ea03f3.JPG

I lightened the mix with a few drops of Tamiya flat white and shot the panel centers.

h4bee46e.JPG

he8995aa.JPG

hdb86666.JPG

h06ac5f4.JPG

hfefefae.JPG

I then used a little water and a flat brush to wear the surfaces.

h56f2641.JPG

hc9257b4.JPG

Letting the surfaces dry before a coat of Future in preparation for decals. This was a little nerve wracking, but I think I had fun. :laugh:

Thanks for coming by!

No Plum Crazy after all? Well, alright then. :(
Still very cool!
:salute
:soldier

It could still go that way if the experiment fails...
:idonno

It is probably a little late in the build for zoomie pipes & a supercharger in any case.
:rotf :pp :rotf :stinker :rotf :facepalm

It's not too late, it's never TOO late, but may save that idea for another one. :rotf

Back