• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya SdKfz 251 in use by US Artillery unit

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
I am building this kit for a build campaign about captured vehicles being put to use by the country that captured them. For this I am going to have this Tamiya SdKfz 251 represent one that was captured by the US Army in France and then was repainted and put to use by an Artillery unit that used captured German guns and vehicles.

Here is the kit I am using. A couple of years ago when my Grandson went to his first few shows, he bought this same kit and built it before I had a chance to help him with it. He got it done in a day and although the suspension of the front wheels was kind of jacked up because he didn't let the glue dry before moving it, it still turned out halfway decent. I bought my kit at Soonercon a couple weekends ago because it seemed like a decent kit, but would still be fairly easy and quick to build.

100_1228.JPG

And here is a picture from a Squadron/Signal book of the vehicle this will end up looking like:

100_1229.JPG

I started building the kit yesterday evening and it is coming along nicely and fairly quick. I might not be following the sequence of construction according to the instructions, but the way I am doing it will enable me to paint the interior details better. I plan on keeping the interior the yellow color that the factory painted it and just painting the exterior OD. I will add some chipping that exposes the yellow a bit.

100_1231.JPG

For stowage I will probably just add a few US packs and some German Artillery ammo.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

I wish I had this model and the inclination to go outside of my comfort zone back then. I like the atmosphere of the campaigns on this site better than the other site.

Cheers,
James

Here is the work that I have done to this model up to this point...I have the interior about 80% done. I decided to go with open rear doors so the interior can be viewed from several angles. Although the vehicle was painted OD after capture, the interior was left to it's original color.

100_1240.JPG

100_1241.JPG

100_1244.JPG

100_1245.JPG

100_1246.JPG

100_1247.JPG

100_1248.JPG

Here is the top part. I still need to paint the interior parts to this before I glue it onto the rest of the model.

100_1249.JPG

100_1250.JPG

At this rate, I might be able to have this done by this weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

I spray painted the interior of the upper hull with Krylon Olive Drab and then applied Reaper Faded Khaki. I also painted the radio and the vision blocks since they will be somewhat visible.

100_1269.JPG

100_1270.JPG

100_1271.JPG

Now it was ready to glue to the lower hull. Then the rest of the parts minus the pioneer tools were added. Gaps were filled with putty, sanded, and covered with a thin layer of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. I then masked off the opening in the rear as well as the one for the top. Blue tack covered the places where the wheels will be glued on. Now it is ready to paint!

100_1272.JPG

100_1273.JPG

100_1274.JPG

100_1275.JPG

100_1276.JPG

I sprayed the model with Krylon Olive Drab, let it dry, and then sprayed it with Tamiya Olive Drab which is more on the greener side. I will let this cure overnight before I start shading. I will touch up the areas that were covered by the masking tape on the top, but won't start anything else until tomorrow.

100_1281.JPG

100_1282.JPG

100_1283.JPG

100_1284.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Thank you for letting us know about the Campaigns James. At least we do that right. :woohoo:

Looks great so far! :dude

Back