• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya M48A3 Second Time Around

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
Trying to finish up projects to take to the Eaglequest show is not happening like I hoped. Last week the local club put up a display at the museum here. I went and loaded items for the display and this M48 that I built a number of years ago looked sad as it never did anything I had intended when I was building it. I built this M48 for competition. I put all I knew, casting numbers, casting textures, scratch work, suspension correction and so on. When it was done I never took it any shows other then one local IPMS show in Colorado Springs. I did get a third place and was told it need the turret hatches closed or have a crew. Which I agreed with them. Worse part is I had (still have) a crew. I just do not like painting figures, but I need to, it is one thing I think is missing from my vehicles. I set it a side and did not take it to the museum. Last night I was looking it over and and said it could use this, that and I should paint the crew, then take it to Eaglequest. With that in mind I opened a can of caffeine put on some rock and roll. :facepalm

Some more back story on this build. I had just finished a book called Tank Sergeant. Written by a guy who commanded a M48A3 in Vietnam. There is a part of the book that stuck with me was he had just been issued a bran new M48A3. He was then ordered to loan it out to another company and when it returned the fenders had been ripped off and the fender storage boxes that were still there, were smashed and the lids were missing. I was working for a Saturn store at the time and sent me back to Tennessee for training. I arranged to get an extra weekend to go up to Fort Knox. I learned how the fenders are put together, what is sheet metal and what is plate steel. That is why not all of the fenders are gone. I scratch built the fender boxes and fender support brackets. I filled, re-contoured and added casting texture to the lower hull. The suspension has been lowered two scale inches to match the M48A3 that was inside the Patton museum. Filled the mantelet cover with A&B putty, added drip rails, casting numbers and welds to the turret. The search light has been down sized, mounts added from AMT M60A1 kit, scratched handles and cover. Commanders cupula I added casting texture, lift rings and cover made from A&B putty. There was nuts and bolts added in a number of locations. Track is AFV Club, my first time using separate link track.

This is as it sat 05-14-2015,
032_zpskeljwrbn.jpg

033_zps1meomwo2.jpg

034_zpscsaoau1n.jpg

035_zpsb0s0fq1g.jpg

036_zpsfojowxv0.jpg

After removing loose parts and disassembly, I began to change some of the items. First thing that I was never wild about is the colors I used on the machine gun mounts. When in dote paint it OD. I first painted them Testors rust and that was to orange for me. I then repainted them with Humbrol scenic track color. Much better. I'll add washes and some dry brushing the next days off.

037_zpsmygvtvvp.jpg

039_zpsohiajrgc.jpg

040_zpscp9ftknc.jpg

041_zpsptfhpvfu.jpg

I then started to play with paint pigments on the lower hull. I first mixed some red earth, a gray, and a brown. It was the color I thought would work good. After putting some water to it it turned a lovely shade of light pink :rotf At that point I started to just throw on colors trying to cover it up :frantic Now it is starting to come back to what I have pictured in my mind. Still have a bit more to do but I'm on the right road I believe.

042_zpsyeaklvqj.jpg

043_zps1cnisce3.jpg

044_zpsg44fjwne.jpg

045_zpsep8kfr5s.jpg

046_zps6h4errhr.jpg

Then it was some form of attempt to paint some crew member :laugh: I am, I think, planning on using the Archer eye decals I got. The instructions said to paint the eyes white first :idonno They look strange to me right now. Oh the figures are Verlinden.
(sorry I just could not get a good shot camera would not focus on the heads)

047_zps6ca3p8or.jpg

048_zpss61y2w7t.jpg

More updates on the days to come :soldier

Great job Jeff! (y) :notworthy

As suggestion;paint the tips of the .50 ammo various colors,it can give it even more interest.
Just some tracer or armor piercing rounds already will give it another look.
Found this pic on the net for you:

50BMG_Eight_Different_Types.jpg

Gr,Ron.

First, outstanding job so far on your rehab Jeff, Looking great.

Now, where is it written that if the hatches are open you have to have crew in them? I have the Honey that one a nice award at an IMPS show, all the hatches are open and no crew. Seems like someone making up stuff as they go.

Great job Jeff! (y) :notworthy

As suggestion;paint the tips of the .50 ammo various colors,it can give it even more interest.
Just some tracer or armor piercing rounds already will give it another look.
Found this pic on the net for you:

50BMG_Eight_Different_Types.jpg

Gr,Ron.

Thanks Ron! Honest I did not even think about that :facepalm

First, outstanding job so far on your rehab Jeff, Looking great.

Now, where is it written that if the hatches are open you have to have crew in them? I have the Honey that one a nice award at an IMPS show, all the hatches are open and no crew. Seems like someone making up stuff as they go.

Your Honey has an interior doesn't? No interior on this one so just big holes when the hatches are open. If I had done an interior it would look like a real tank with the hatches open. I was always told, rule of thumb, no interior hatches closed or a figure to fill the open hatch. I knew that when I entered it. I even think it might be on the IPMS rules can't remember been along time since I read them. Not going to worry about it because the hatches are going to be filled now :eek:hyeah

Some more progress here.

painted the 50 cal rounds copper and added gloss clear to periscopes
DSC03000_zpse394njqg.jpg

More weathering to the hull
DSC02980_zpss7r3s6gl.jpg

DSC02981_zpslqexwl7p.jpg

DSC02982_zpsux8vrhpg.jpg

DSC02983_zpsanmgwvs9.jpg

Really went after the putting mud/dirt/dust on the lower hull
DSC02995_zpsr0svxpsu.jpg

DSC02996_zpshlndiy3z.jpg

DSC02997_zpsyedj7crb.jpg

DSC02998_zpsgyj9m8ul.jpg

DSC02999_zpsscbzpvit.jpg

I changed some of the colors on some of the bags on the turret. I also painted a rust edge on the loaders hatch.
DSC02984_zpspnsklu5a.jpg

I started with a wash to the turret and a little bit of rain streaking.Then attempted to do some chipping. It's starting to go back together now :good:
DSC02988_zpsnmgpsu5h.jpg

DSC02989_zpsqka1xo36.jpg

DSC02990_zps5p0rr5ad.jpg

DSC02991_zpszig4srws.jpg

DSC02992_zpsp9hwwnfv.jpg

D*mn bud, you're really going the extra kilometre on this one :good: - Yep, I'm from Europe, anyone gotta problem with that :bat ....

Seriously, this is shaping-up to be one of your best. Keep it coming.

Ian.

Back