• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya JS-2 All Done

So I put down the basecoat of AK-Real 4BO,I painted the details.

But what do you guys think of the handpainted turret stripes,I didn't think that the Russians got out the masking tape and sprayed them on,so I applied them by brush unevenly,do you think they look okay they still need to be tobed down and weathered.

Thanks for looking.

Here is my thought on the matter:
While the markings probably were painted with a brush, the paint thickness would have been thin scale wise about the thickness and coverage an airbrush would put on the model. Also, the lines painted by hand would have been relatively close to straight and reasonably square. The corners would have been fairly sharp and square. I would have run some tape for the wide stripes and airbrushed it in a thin coat. I would not have worried about them being perfectly straight and the coverage consistent. At a distance they would have looked fairly straight and square I suspect.

When in doubt do some research and look at some photos. In the end it is always your choice as to what and how you assemble and paint the build.

I'm liking the strips as they add a bit of visual interest and character to the subject. :good:

You're doing well! Those stripes were hastily added before the Berlin operation to minimize friendly fire. "Lucky 13" here:

1640712327265.png

Other side too:
1640712361570.png

She was a veteran and beat up (look at the stowage in the mud guards):
1640712499820.png

Regards,

It's nice the Sov's gave the crew of Lucky 13 new uniforms for the pictures. I'm NO expert, however, those field applied stripes were likely done with a broom or mop and a bucket of paint. Keep up the good work, Tony! :good:

Back