• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Challenger2 -Finished / Thanks!

Tamiya Challenger2

Thanks, Helios. Sometimes you get lucky. :dude
Thanks, Dave!

Junk in the trunk

They really used every square inch of real-estate on the rear end of this bad boy. I guess it's the only "safe" place on a tank.
I'm going to have to paint a lot of stuff as components, and then assemble afterwards. The side skirts will be painted off the vehicle so that I can work flat.

Almost ready for paint.

Thanks for looking. See ya after paint and powder-coat.

Cheers,

Bill

Chal-10.jpg

Chal-11.jpg

v138

Tamiya Challenger2

Thanks, Bob! :Hiay
Thanks, Luiz! (y)

A little progres.
The green panels will represent a field repair. I'll show some scratches and other minor damage to the adjacent panels. :idonno
Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Bill

Chal-1.jpg

Tamiya Challenger2

Thanks, Bob! :Hiay
Thanks, Luiz! (y)

A little progres.
The green panels will represent a field repair. I'll show some scrathes and oter minor damage to the adjacent panels. :idonno
Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Bill

Chal-1.jpg

That is a very neat tank! I cannot help but wonder, does anyone know why those side skirts go so low to the ground?

Tamiya Challenger2

Thanks Bob!
Thanks, BRB!

The side skirts are for dust control (a big problem in the desert.) they are trying to keep the airborne sand and dust down and behind.

Checkout: https://youtu.be/qbX5iQPBGZ0

FF to 2:00 for tank without skirts, and FF to 2:40 for a shot with skirts.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

Tamiya Challenger2

Pretty cool, Bill. Modern armor isn't really my thing, but looking forward to your finish. :good:

Tamiya Challenger2

Pretty cool, Bill. Modern armor isn't really my thing, but looking forward to your finish. :good:

Thanks, Mike!
Yes, me too. This one just caught my fancy :idonno. The modern tanks have gone the way of modern street cars. They all look the same. I guess they both (tanks and cars) do it for the same reason - they go with what works best. Form follows function as they (some) say. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Tamiya Challenger2

Thanks, Luiz!
Thanks Tom!
Thanks, James!!

A little more progress a couple of reference pictures.

The front CIP panels were fabricated (as per the instructions) from some (included) sheet styrene. I put a spacer of the same material on the back side to give a little shadow line (and to make it easier to mask).

Chal-9.jpg

I painted the dust skirts deck tan to contrast the hull color. Reference photos show this was a "thing" and that I'm not TOO far off.

Chal-1~0.jpg

Turret masked up for CIP panel paint. Side skirts painted.

Chal-2~0.jpg

Chal-3~0.jpg

Just about ready for a gloss coat for decals.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Bill

v240

Tamiya Challenger2

Looking good, Bill. You nailed what turns me off about modern armor, I like the mechanics and panache of the old stuff, but this is shaping up to be a good one! (y)

Tamiya Challenger2

Well to each theri own, I reckon. I do concede the experiences of all those odd designs up thru WW2 are the basis of modern armor, there is just something baout it I really like! Looking forward to see your skillz, Bill!

Tamiya Challenger2

Thanks, Mike!
Thanks, Brb!

Just decals.
I'm going to take a crack at highlights and shadows on the lower side skirts. Then the whole thing will get a filter to tie it all together.!

I'll be away for a couple of weeks. See you in mid July (or so).

Thanks for looking! (y)

Cheers,

Bill

Chal_-10.jpg

v253

Tamiya Challenger2

You know that thing looks like it would be a good candidate for a hovercraft WIF.

Looking great Bill, really dig the sand skirts. :popcorn

Tamiya Challenger2 - decals.

Wow, that is really coming-to-life now - Agree with the rest of the guys here, Bill, it really is looking great.

Ian.

Back