• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/35 M48A3 Patton

Moving on, I got up this morning and applied some primer.
I'm using Mr. Surfacer 1200 diluted 1:1 sprayed @ 20PSI.

The "patch job" for the big holes looks pretty good, better than I expected.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Now this will sit until the weekend (I have to go to work so I can pay for my toys).
;)

Moving on, today I started by mixing paint to paint the hull US olive drab.
IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

For this project I decided I was going to use all Vallejo paints.
Just something different.
Well, I'm using a combination of Model Air which I'm very familiar with, Panzer Aces (never used it before) and Model Color (same as PA, never used it before).
Well I'm having all sorts of problems with Model color.
IMG_0335.jpg

As I found out, this paint is not for airbrushing, but I'm told that if you dilute it well, it can be done.
Bantha Fodder, this stuff is clogging my AB like crazy and making it spit and what not!
So I scrubbed the paint job and tried applying it with a regular brush. I don't like the results!
IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

So I'm at an roadblock right now.
Any suggestions?

OK, I went back and gave it another coat of paint and touched up a few small spots.
It look a little better.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

But I'm still not happy, not happy at all with this paint job. :angry:

that's coming along nicely!

how about some postshading and lightening up the centers of major areas when you're unhappy with your paintjob?

Kreighshoer wrote:
that's coming along nicely!

how about some postshading and lightening up the centers of major areas when you're unhappy with your paintjob?
:huh:
That's a new one for me.
I know about pre shading (and post shading) on aircraft, but on armor? I'm totally lost.
So if someone is willing to educate me in that area.....

apply dark paint of your choice to every corner you want! bogey mounts, return roller mounts, those square thingies on the backpanel and the muffler grilles! wherever you think it's appropriate! consider those spots as panel lines!

Kreighshoer wrote:
apply dark paint of your choice to every corner you want! bogey mounts, return roller mounts, those square thingies on the backpanel and the muffler grilles! wherever you think it's appropriate! consider those spots as panel lines!

Oh, OK, yeah that sound simple enough.
I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Thanks Laura, I appreciate that.
:)

Today I wasn't in the mood to fuz with the airbrush or do much painting.
So I finished with the wheels, assembled the air purifiers and installed the head lights.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

I'll do some more work later.

Moving along, this weekend I started working on the main gun.
IMG_0363.jpg

Boy this is going to require to some work.
IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

I did a bit of sanding to even up the edges of the two parts but the seam is still there so....

...Enter the Dragon....er....Mr Surfacer... :idonno
IMG_0376.jpg

Apply with a small paint brush and let it sit until tomorrow.
IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

And did some work with the main light.
IMG_0366.jpg

So that's it for tonight, and just to scare the kiddies before they go to bed, here's two images of Me at the bench.
IMG_0367.jpg

I swear I wasn't sleeping!

IMG_0372.jpg

Good night!

Lookin' good, Black-Sheep 1

What's your opinion of Mr. Surfacer? I've never used it. I've always had trouble with the putty type of filler and often default to the metal barrels.

DioRandy

Thanks Randy.
I got to tell you, it's great stuff.
I use the Mr Surfacer 500 for filling seams and steps (sometimes I use the Squadron green putty but this works as well). The thing with Mr Surfacer is that you have to keep an eye on it. When it dries, it shrinks and leaves a "dip" in the area you're filling, so you have to apply some more and let it dry.

I also use it for priming, Mr Surfacer 1200 diluted 1:1 with lacquer thinner. Works very well. The thing is that, at times, it's hard to come by here in the US so when you find it, you better stock up.

Busy day today.

I spent most of the morning (I was off to a late start today)sanding and cleaning the main gun.
IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Then I put together the big lamp.
At this point I decided to mask the lens and secure it in the frame without gluing until after I prime and paint.
IMG_0381.jpg

I had to drill some holes on the main turret for the stowage bars.
IMG_0383.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums
/cc70/hgphoto1/Charlie%20dont%20surf/seven/IMG_0381.jpg

I love this set of drill bits. I think I paid like $20.00 on eBay from Drillbit City. AWESOME!
(y)
IMG_0384.jpg

Continued with the work on the turret, some bits and pieces here and there...
IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Encountered a bit of a fit issue here with the base of the turret.
IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Added some Mr Surfacer and see if I can sort this out.
IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

So that's it for now. I'm going to add another layer of the filler and ten take a little break.

Back later. :)

This morning I spent about an hour sanding off the filler on the turret that was applied late yesterday.
I have to say it did its job nicely and clean up went well.
But man it created a lot of dust!
IMG_0392Custom.jpg

IMG_0393Custom.jpg

IMG_0394Custom.jpg

Then finished assembly of the turret.
IMG_0395Custom.jpg

IMG_0397Custom.jpg

IMG_0398Custom.jpg

IMG_0399Custom.jpg

And that's it for now.
I was hoping to have this build done by today so I could take it to the club meeting tonight but there's no way it will by tonight.

On that note, I need to head out to the cleaners and stop by Starbucks to get my coffee.

Later! :Hiay

Moving along this build.
I got up early this morning, cleaned up a bit, finished up some details and off to the spray bay to apply the primer.
IMG_0400Custom.jpg

I used a 0.2mm needle on my Harder & Steenbeck airbrush spraying Mr Surfacer 1200 diluted with lacquer thinner 1:1 @ about 20PSI.
IMG_0401Custom.jpg

It seems the filling job I did earlier payed off as I don't notice any seams on the bottom part of the turret.
IMG_0402Custom.jpg

IMG_0404Custom.jpg

All in all, looks OK to me.
IMG_0403Custom.jpg

IMG_0405Custom.jpg

IMG_0406Custom.jpg

IMG_0407Custom.jpg

No sign of joint lines i the gun barrel as well.
IMG_0408Custom.jpg

IMG_0409Custom.jpg

So now it's time for me to get ready to go to my day job.
If I'm up to it, I'll start paining tonight.

Later!
:Hiay

Back