• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/35 M48A3 Patton

OK, here we go.

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Time to wash all the mold release off the sprues and set asside to dry.

All right get crackin! Are you going to do Marine or Army versions?

Terry B)

OK time to get to work on this build.
Had to do some cleaning on the wheels.
IMG_0224.jpg

There's a nasty little lip at the edge, I guess it's a mold thing.
Here's a before and after.
IMG_0225.jpg

Then spent most of the day priming and painting the wheels and the "rubber" on the wheels.
I had some issues with my airbrush and Vallejo's Panzer Aces paints. But I managed to sort it out.
IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

And then started working on the suspension.
IMG_0308.jpg

Then I got hungry and sleepy, so I will continue tomorrow.
:eek:hyeah

OK, well I finished the suspension on the other side.
IMG_0309.jpg

Then cleaned up the hydraulics for the suspension.
IMG_0312.jpg

I started to attach the hydraulics when I realized I made a mistake! :eek:hmy: I attached two parts upside down (but I got that fixed (y) ). So I just finished that task.
IMG_0313.jpg

Now, after a short break, I will tackle the smaller wheels (this is going to take a while).
IMG_0310.jpg

So a quick bite and a beer and back to the bench!
:woohoo:

OK.... back again.

I finished cleaning all 10 sets of wheels :whhh and I must confess to doing a boneheaded thing! :blush:
I figured I'd be slick and use my Dremel tool to speed up the sanding and cleaning of these wheels. I set up a set on a cocktail stick and attached it to the Dremel. :huh:
Yeah, the problem is, the stick was too long and since it's not a balanced part, it started going oscillating to fast that the cocktail stick broke and this thing was airborne at Warp speed! :eek:hmy:

Needless to say I cannot find it! I found the stick though!
So now I'm minus one set of small wheels but luckily I have another kit so I cannibalized it and we move on. :D
The moral of this story?
NO SHORTCUTS!

Anyways....
IMG_0317.jpg

This thing looks like a set of punji sticks with mines attached!

BLACK-SHEEP,

Don't forget that Barrel Depot makes a Turned Gun Barrel for it. It looks a lot better that th Tamiya one with No seems to clean up. They even replicate the Canvas cover that covers th Barrel at th mantlet.

Looks good so far !! Keep it up. I'm getting ready to start My M48 too .... I'll jump in on this GB ..... I'll be doing a Marine version to Tie in with th Theme for th AMPS 2011 SHOW - MARINE ARMOR.

ROCK -ON BLACK SHEEP ! :ro:

ERIK

panzerace007 wrote:
BLACK-SHEEP,

Don't forget that Barrel Depot makes a Turned Gun Barrel for it. It looks a lot better that th Tamiya one with No seems to clean up. They even replicate the Canvas cover that covers th Barrel at th mantlet.

Looks good so far !! Keep it up. I'm getting ready to start My M48 too .... I'll jump in on this GB ..... I'll be doing a Marine version to Tie in with th Theme for th AMPS 2011 SHOW - MARINE ARMOR.

ROCK -ON BLACK SHEEP ! :ro:

ERIK

Thanks Erik.
I'll look into ordering that barrel tomorrow.

Here ya go Black Sheep. I found some Video on You Tube of th M48 in Vietnam in Action & a News report specifically on th M48A3 !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM03s_Ln0Rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOEkhvntOk - Used here by th Black Horse Regiment in Vietnam.

Thought this might help ya get a Feel for th Tank & to see which version ( Marine or Army ) of th Patton you wanted to portray.

ERIK

Great start!!! The wheels are always the boring part. Now you get to fill those #$%^& holes the bottom hull.

Terry B)

a very good start on that beastie and lesson learned with taking the shortcut! why do i know that you will never ever do that again ...

great videos! thanks erik!

MrT wrote:
Great start!!! The wheels are always the boring part. Now you get to fill those #$%^& holes the bottom hull.

Terry B)

Don't count me out yet Laura, I'm as stubborn as a mule (that's why I never got married). I'm already working on an improved method for dealing with these wheels.

And speaking of wheels....

Look what I found this morning while untangling some cables.

IMG_0319.jpg

Now I have a complete set again (+ the one I picked up on Ebay last night to replace this one :whistle: ).

Looks like it hit the wall pretty hard and damaged the side of the back wheel.
IMG_0320.jpg

But the front side looks OK.
IMG_0321.jpg

I got lucky on this one. (y)

MrT wrote:

Terry B)

I'm on it.

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Got let that dry for a bit, sand and repeat where needed.

MrT wrote:
Looks good! Man I hate them holes!

Terry B)
Oh I don't know Terry, I'm thinking about getting one of them RC motors for it (not this one but another M48 I have).

I think it would be kind of cool to "play" with them every now and then :idonno .

Well I probably have a gear box that will fit it :laugh:

Terry B)

OK, so after a long break (I had to go tot Lowes to buy a lamp for my workbench and a few things), I sanded off the putty and gave it a rinse with water to wash off all that dust.
IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

I think I did a pretty good job at filling up them holes (is I say so myself :D ).

I used an automatic sander I made myself.
What? "What is it" you say?

Say Hello to my little friend [in Scarface voice]:

The Sonic Scrubber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRnylJDH8c&feature=player_embedded#!

Yeah, and it works like a champ too!
IMG_0325.jpg

I just bought some regular sized Velcro and some sanding film.

I then cut the Velcro roughly to the size of the brush head, peeled the paper and attached a piece of the sanding film cut to size and PRESTO!
IMG_0327.jpg

And it makes quick work out of sanding off all that putty.

OK, so now I need to prime and paint the hull and I'm ready for the next step. B)

Back