• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Takom's Turttle

ErnieS

I have decided to build Takrom's 1/35 scale Skoda Turtle armored car. I have never built a Takrom kit as of yet so I figured this was as good a time as any to try one out.

This is a very nice kit! Well detailed and goes together quite well so far. The under body is well detailed for as much as will be seen. There is no interior, but I am fine with that, out of the box the kit will build a nice model of the vehicle which is good enough for me. I am trying to get to the point of building a kit for what it is, and not worrying about if it has all the bells and whistles and detailed areas that no one will ever see and has a gazillion parts. So for me this kit is quite refreshing :dude But that is just me.

I started this Friday night after I got home from work, and the photos take us up to last night, so over the course of about 24 hours I have a lot of the major assemblies done. Some putty was used on the various suspension and drive train assemblies, but nothing major.

The chassis, have to putty a couple of spots on the frame rails yet, but otherwise done. The kit gives you the option of posing the wheels turned; I glued them in position. I am not sure if it had 4 wheel steering, or 2 wheel steer from which ever end it was being driven from, so straight ahead it is (y)

The body shell, this is very well molded, with just a couple faint parting lines along the sides which look to clean up very easily, it is hard to a perspective from the photo, but this was quite a large vehicle!

The completed cupola set on the body. This is made up of 4 sections and I was very surprised by how well it fit together, Tamyia Extra Thin cement works really well on the kit plastic so I was able to hold the sections in alignment, apply a drop of glue and in a couple minutes had really nice joins between the sections. The seams are still going to need a bit of clean up but nothing major at all, very pleased with how this section went together.

And that is where we are, I should get the rest of the kit together today and then deal with any seam clean-up over the next couple of days. I still have to order the paint for this so by the time that arrives I should have everything set to start the painting process.
Really lovin' this kit so far (y) (y) (y)
Ernie

Takrom's Turttle

I loved seeing that kit when it came out, it's great to see one being built.

I hear ya on building OOB, it's the only way I seem to go anymore so I don't get lost in the details.

Looking forward to progress.

Takrom's Turttle

I loved seeing that kit when it came out, it's great to see one being built.

I hear ya on building OOB, it's the only way I seem to go anymore so I don't get lost in the details.

Looking forward to progress.

Yeah, I have way too many kits where I have gotten caught up in that; this or that isn't right, you need this or that aftermarket item etc. Don't get me wrong, I still use that stuff but it is nice to get a kit that you can build a very nice model from right from the box and not worry about all that other stuff. This is a very refreshing build for me in that respect, and I am really enjoying it...long may it continue (y) (y)
Ernie

Takrom's Turttle

Cool,I'll watch with interest. I had some gap issues with mine and for some reason put it away. I cant remember why. I should pull it out and see. One suggestion I would make is to put some platic scrap on the joints for a bit more strength. You can see where I did mine if its of some use.

DSC05557.JPG

James

Takrom's Turttle

Thank you James! Good tip on the reinforcement, I planed to run some superglue along the inside joints after I get the copula attached to the hull. I want to keep it a little flexible so I can get as good a fit as possible to the hull then really lock everything together after that.
Hope to see you finish yours as well, it is a cool looking vehicle!
Ernie

Takrom's Turttle

Awesome choice! I have this kit as well. Are you planning the German gray or one of the more colorful schemes?

Takrom's Turttle

I was curious as to what Takrom's Turttle was... LOL. OK, it is Takom's Turtle, quite interesting! I hope you'll correct the title.

Regards,

Takrom's Turttle

Awesome choice! I have this kit as well. Are you planning the German gray or one of the more colorful schemes?

I am going to do one of the multi-color schemes :bang head
If for no other reason than it seems like a good idea right now????? :D
Ernie

Takrom's Turttle

I almost bought a resin kit a long time ago, glad I didn't when I heard of Takom's impending release. Then James had trouble so I never got to it. I was thinking of something Sci-Fi with it. You seem to be flying through it without trouble.
;)

Regards,

Over the course of the afternoon I was able to get most of the assembly finished. The wheel well inserts were the poorest fit so far, leaving large gaps between themselves and the body :angry: I got the fit as good as I could then slathered putty over the gaps.

The cupola went on ok, lining it up and gluing bit by bit as I went. This took a good portion of the afternoon as I waited for the glue to set up before doing the next section (practicing patience :dance )It seemed to work. The seams are ok, not perfect, but ok, and should clean up pretty well.

This will probably be the last update on this until next weekend. I ordered the paint I need this afternoon and intend to spend the week just cleaning up seams and gaps etc. as I wait for the paint to arrive, so all will hopefully be ready to begin painting next weekend.
Ernie

Takrom's Turttle

I almost bought a resin kit a long time ago, glad I didn't when I heard of Takom's impending release. Then James had trouble so I never got to it. I was thinking of something Sci-Fi with it. You seem to be flying through it without trouble.
;)

Regards,

Now that you mention it, it does have a real Sci-Fi look to it, definite potential there!
I have not had a lot of trouble with this.....but I have not had any interaction with modeling for the past 5 or 6 months, so it is probably down to my unbridled enthusiasm for actually building something again more than anything. (y) :D
Ernie

Back