• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Syrian T-62 - COMPLETE!!!

Syrian T-62

nice work on the 62!
Is that weed eater in Ferrari Red... :coolio

It is! Got quite a few compliments and comments (they are the same....right? :hmmm ) It is one of the new "tight-turn" mowers, it can turn in an 5-7" turning radius, yet costs $1000 less than an actual tight-turn mower

OK, back to the build. SO I got out the Miniart resin tracks and got to work. So 12 come on a run:

hf6facc8.jpg

and then you separate them into the tracks (plus sanding)

hf5536a8.jpg

and pins

h5e1be80.jpg

and when you have them together

h46e6452.jpg

they should go right together

ha22175d_2019-07-07.jpg

I was thinking that I would build these up and mount them, take them & the wheels off for painting, I have seen Steinman and others do.....but no such luck. You are supposed to be able to push the resin pins in until they "click" but this only worked about half the time...not good! The pins do not go all the way thru, but rather the 'click' is on the outer hole, with the tip of said pin protruding into the inner hole of the next track. I tried deepening that hole to no avail, so now I am going to have to stop, paint all this black first, then go back after mounting the wheels and build them up, gluing as I go, which to me is not really better than the existing separate link tracks, so unless someone can correct me, that is the plan. Issue is, it is in the mid-90's (33 deg.C), the weather station says it feels like it is 102F/39 deg. C, so this may have to wait until I am at MP's man-cave, or maybe I invade Eric's place, we'll see

Syrian T-62

Bruce I will tell you the same Thing I told Eric about his Merkava. I am not really into tanks but you T-62 makes me reconsider. Great work and a beautiful results so far. Congrats.

Syrian T-62

Bruce I will tell you the same Thing I told Eric about his Merkava. I am not really into tanks but you T-62 makes me reconsider. Great work and a beautiful results so far. Congrats.

hey "TANX" man! (see what I did there?) :coolio

Ok so these two really lousy pics show the Miniart tracks. I will say that, compared to the AFV tracks I just build for the Sherman, these are MUCH easier, and took all-most half the amount of time, so better in that regard fer-sher

h83c50ed.jpg

h87a74a8.jpg

So the issue with the Miniart is that while the pins 'click' in easily, they fall out easily as well. I found the best way to do this was to line up two tracks, then install the pins, and secure them with a tiny drop of Tamiya extra thin on the very ends. It was slow, but the end result is still flexible, mercy I hope they stay that way when I finally get them painted & fitted on!

So I have now used individual links, resin links that snap and have pins, and metal tracks that use resin pins and good ol' Fruils. I will say that, if you do not intend to use the 'band' type tracks most kits come with, then so far my fave would be the metal Fruil-type tracks, with .020 pins as Iron Mike suggests. They are certainly the most expensive, but in my experience, the easiest to use.

So sorry about the poor pics, just need to hit them with some flat black, & then I'm in business!!

Syrian T-62

NOW its looking like a tank...Almost ready to assault the Golan!

hfc6a4f5.jpg

hdac91d7.jpg

hbf69d10.jpg

of course, I still have touch-up & weathering to do, not to mention the mighty 12.7mm MG, but it's coming along nicely indeed!

But all this progress came at a cost! I have had this magnifier hood from Harbor Freight since this site was know by another name (ahem...) and today, she gave up the ghost!

h2f3da3a.jpg

I have to go out in a bit, so it appears I have to get my HF coupon , stick a crowbar in the old wallet, and pony up for another one!

Syrian T-62

I think I got the same one, think you gave it to me. You're more than welcome to it, I don't use it.

Syrian T-62

PK so here is the first pass using oils to create a few streaks, plus color the tracks and wheels. Oh and yes Eric, I did some pinwashes too!

he354221.jpg

h5c34a52.jpg

h0f41a48.jpg

h46e1f76.jpg

h2428f67.jpg

I still have more washes to add, along with speckling and some chips too, and of course, powders to dust it up before calling her down, but overall, she is coming along really well!

Syrian T-62

Looking good overall..."some" pinwashes...hmmmmm...ok :coolio

Look Eric, last time it was no pinwashes! Ran outta time today on it, hoping to get some of the earth tones in the artists oils mixed so I can apply them, along with some flecking and a few chips (not many...less is more!) then the pigments, and she should be rockin'!

Back