• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stubborn Chrome

Greg Kimsey

Hi guys, I am building an AMT "Meyers Manx", and am trying to remove the chrome from the chromed pieces. I soaked them for 4 hours in oven cleaner, swirling them around in the jar every few minutes, and it didn't budge. I soaked them overnight in bleach, and this morning they are as chromed as when they started. What other solutions should I try? Thanks!

@moon puppy that's the face I have been making this morning. The last time I used this oven cleaner, it took 3 minutes to take the chrome off. It actually dissolved one tiny piece completely. This time...nothing!

Paddy had a problem with removing chrome a while back on the kit of the Bentley he was building. He finally solved the problem by getting some Ferric Chloride PC Board etchant. The chrome is usually plated over a layer of copper that the etchant removes quite quickly.

Back