• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stripping old paint

Paulw

I would like to know the best method for stripping paint and decals from an existing model.
I have a couple I would love to re paint and so forth. I use acrylics exclusively.
Less mess means better husband/wife relationship. thanks

I have used oven cleaner to good effect. Sprayed on and waited a few minutes then used old tooth brush to scrub off. Make sure you use eye protection and gloves. Wash with water. I would do it outside if its a nice day so you dont get the caustic fumes. I have put figures in freezer bags with oven cleaner also and let it sit. Hope that helps.
James

I have used brake fluid in the past. It does not harm clear plastic either.

I recently used 92% alcohol and it will remove both acrylic and enamel with a bit of rubbing.

Hope these things will help you.

Cheers, Christian B)

I have used oven cleaner to good effect. Sprayed on and waited a few minutes then used old tooth brush to scrub off. Make sure you use eye protection and gloves. Wash with water. I would do it outside if its a nice day so you dont get the caustic fumes. I have put figures in freezer bags with oven cleaner also and let it sit. Hope that helps.
James

Same as James (y)

I used Vanish oxi action with good results, look at my topic with the quad gun tractor.
4 liter warm water (not to warm though) and then 1 1/2 scoop powder and then let it stay there for an hour or so, rinse of under water and brush off the paint thats left.
It works very well with tamiya acrylics, the vallejo primer stayed on but maybe if it stays longer it will go away to :soldier good luck :Hiay
//mats

Back