• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Strachwitz's Panzerbefehlswagen III Ausf. K

Kreighshoer

one of the finest panzerleaders of the german heer was hyazinth graf strachwitz von groß-zauche und chaminetz - together with kurt knispel my most favorite tanker of ww2!

strach10.jpg

von strachwitz was born in groß stein in silesia on 30. july 1893 to a family of silesian elder nobility with a long military tradition!

the family crest:

crest_10.jpg

von strachwitz joined the imperial german army garde de corps after having been cadet to the berlin military academy! he continued his studies with the lichterfelde academy focusing on sports. him being a well trained sportsman helped him to overcome several injuries he suffered in both world wars!

panzer10.jpg

in world war 1 - late 1914 to be more precise - von strachwitz led a raid company behind enemy lines in civilian clothing and taken prisoner of war! the fact that he and his men were wearing civilian clothing led to him being sentenced to death what later was commuted to forced labor in cayenne! he was lucky that the transport didn't take place and he was incarcerated on the île de rè instead. in 1918 members of the red cross found him in desolate mental and physical condition in the prison of carcassonne and he was transferred back to germany immediately!

bundes10.jpg

in world war 2 he took part in the invasion of poland and france and being promoted to major he saw action in operation barbarossa from the very first day on. he was awarded the knight's cross of the iron cross on august 28th 1941 for his exploits in the first days of the invasion of the ussr. being promoted to ltd colonel he earned the oak leaves on november 13th 1942 and together with his crew was the spearhead of 6th army and one of the first to enter stalingrad. fighting on the northern front of the stalingrad pocket, his unit destroyed 105 soviet tanks without loss - he was seriously wounded and lucky enough to be evacuated before the stalingrad pocket collapsed.

his bravery and excellent exploits made his name feared within the red army and he was awarded the swords to the oak leaves on march 28th 1943 for his actions in the battle of bjelgorod where his regiment knocked out 36 soviet tanks within shortest time!

o9259i10.jpg

von strachwitz's battle credo was "do not slap the enemy with the flat hand but hit him with a fist!"

e.g. he once ordered all his tanks to dig in and hide as good as possible and to keep absolutely quiet - no radio communication. only after he would have done the first shot all tanks should let loose hell on an enemy tank column they were ambushing! the whole of the enemy tank column was completely eradicated!

being promoted to generalmajor on april 1st 1944 he was awarded the diamonds to the swords of the oak leaves on april 15th 1944!

strach11.jpg

in late august 1944 von strachwitz was wounded the 14th (!) time! he recuperated his severe wounds including a head fracture only due to his excellent physical condition as a sportsman!

shortly before the war ended he was promoted to generalleutnant and fought his way to the west to be taken prisoner of war by the americans!

he had lost his youngest son in the war and his eldest son was confined to his bed. as if this wasn't enough his wife was run over by an u.s. army truck in an accident and killed!

military resistance:
von strachwitz got into contact with the military resistance in early 1943 and volunteered to arrest or to shoot hitler during his visit to poltawa. this plot wasn't successful since hitler decided to change his travel plans and flew to saporoschje instead!

after war:
von strachwitz later went to syria and worked as military advisor to the syrian government! he died at april 25th 1968!

wbyxiv10.jpg

the only model out in the market is the old DML offering based on the gunze sangyo kit!

compared to newer generation DML kits this one is really basic! thankfully DML decided to include a metal barrel but this doesn't save the kit!

the suspension is a blatant brashness for today's standard and if you can't live with it the only chance to take the backdoor would be to use either the tamiya StuG III Ausf. B chassis, Tamiya Ausf. M chassis or the DML Ausf. J chassis!

i opted for the other alternative -> a gentle cover of ye good olde russian mud!

panzer11.jpg

up to now i spent more time with cutting away and sanding than gluing on parts but oh well - this hobby is fun! this hobby is fun! this hobby is fun!
ohm.gif

the part where i laughed most until now are the fenders! DML tells you to cut away some headlight mountings but this destroys most important details on the fenders!

in this pic i blackened the areas in question:

panzer12.jpg

my friend lazdos from hongkong came to the rescue and told me to please accept some surplus pe he has! right now all the work on this model is on hold until i receive the am stuff courtesy of lawrence!

thanks mate!

this is the status quo where i stopped:

panzer13.jpg

the idlers are the much finer tamiya versions - with a little bit of 2mm drill surgery they fit snugly:

panzer14.jpg

panzer15.jpg

g060.gif

Hi Laura,

That was a good reading.
You have hooked in and got a bit done as well.

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers
Michael :)

thanks dudes! the work is still on hold until the am stuff arrives!

beaugeste - i allowed myself to delete two of your answers since strangely your above answer was posted three times!

Looks great Laura :) , I have read an article where someone used heavy alluminium foil and burnished the non slip onto it and then used CA to fill the other side and give it some strength . I hope the picatures in the book I sent give the inspiration to finish this special tank :)

Jenny :kiss:

jenny croft wrote:
I hope the picatures in the book I sent give the inspiration to finish this special tank :)

that book gave birth to this build! ;) it was the profile pic in there where i saw this tank for the very first time and instantly fell in love with it!

I've somehow done the triple post thing before. Can't quite figure out how it happens. Thanks for sweeping up my mess though!

i have nothing to present from myself but something special - a collection of photos of how cool this model COULD look like if built by a master!

lawrence 'mighty ninja' generously agreed that i could show his (unfortunately stalled) approach to the Panzer III Ausf. K!

all i can do is to drool when i look at them! if my model will end at 10% of this quality i'll be more than happy!

'nuff talkin ... pics:

p1018410.jpg

p1018411.jpg

p1018412.jpg

p1018810.jpg

p1018811.jpg

p1018812.jpg

p1018813.jpg

img_7210.jpg

i'm back in the game after the german customs boys decided to wake up and take their index fingers out of their noses!

the royal model pe fenders are sweeeeeeeeeeet and way easier to assemble than i had feared!

Covenant - Dead Stars

pefenderleft_2_20091220_1306843551.jpg

after i had completed the basic fender assembly (since the joints are a bit flimsy i glued some pe fret frame reinforcments to the underside where they never will be seen again!) i chopped away the molded on fender! ouch! that hurt in my soul - the sound of cracking plastic and seeing the single parts enter low orbit! i never sweated more since i entered this hobby!

choppedfenderleft_1_20091220_1815379387.jpg

see you when both sides are done and i focus on the other pe! :)

g060.gif

Hey this is looking good, the removal of the head light did ruin the fender, but that PE replacement looks awesome. That should liven that Pz III right up. Is that squadron green putty I see !!!
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Rob

Looks great Laura B)
I love the m3 k as it is so funky with the mk4 turret.
Thanks for the background history as well, always good top learn some history.

Ian.

Woowwww!! ... I really admire the way you´re building this Pz III, Laura. Clean and crispy scratch details .... you´ll really enjoy painting it!!!

Congratulations ... hat off!!

thanks dudes!

i appreciate your kind words but you haven't seen the further progress! immediately after the last update the frustration started and in the meantime this build is close to the edge of stalling!

the fenders are assembled but i'm absolutely NOT satisfied with the look of them on the vehicle! (they look like that what the dog leaves behind! i should have taken the shortcut and only glued on the plates to the molded on fenders!) then - after having the fender construction frustration behind me i wanted to mount the beautiful aber inner spacer rings for the roadwheels only to notice that i cannot mount them on the wheels of this kit! then - the eduard pe gives me some VERY hard time! i seem to have lost all sensibility in my fingers!

when i sat in front of this kit today i almost threw it at the wall! i'll have another look at this kit this evening or tomorrow and then decide if i invest further time and nerves! at the moment i feel the urge to power vomit only when thinking of it and better start the DML FlaK 36 instead!

Brokeneagle wrote:
I love the m3 k as it is so funky with the mk4 turret.

i fell in love with this version when i saw the profile in a book for the very first time!

jose luis lopez wrote:
Woowwww!! ... I really admire the way you´re building this Pz III, Laura. Clean and crispy scratch details .... you´ll really enjoy painting it!!!

the WOW and crisp scratch build is lawrence's build, not mine! mine is the ugly and cookie cutter one!

Back