• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

storing mixed paints

kryptosdaddy

Now that I'm using an airbrush I'm learning the biggest problem isn't cleaning it or learning the maint. to keep it working right,it's storing leftover thinned paint.

This is no problem with my Alclads nor my premixed air brush paints from MM, they just go back into their original bottles. But I have just mixed some Floquil gloss black for the race car- it's a perfect mix and i have a quarter paache bottles worth left. I know it wont be the last of the leftovers..

I'm curious as to what others are doing about this- what I'm thinking is just going to an art supply and getting a bag of cheap bottles and going from there.

I guess what i really need is more storage space. lol

Well, some folks will tell you that thinned paints won't store well but that hasn't been my experience. For colors I use a lot, I buy 2oz glass bottles and do my 50/50 mix with a 1oz bottle of MM paint and lacquer thinner and keep it till it's used up. As long as the lid seals well (with the cost of model paint what it is, it's worthwhile to keep the lid and bottle top clean) I have had no problem with the paint going south and some that I have done this way have been on the shelf over two years. I also make certain to mark exactly what is in the bottle so I know what is what. Can't speak for acrylic paints as I use only solvent based paints.

I have a steel mix I made up 10 years ago that is still good- its regular square bottle silver, MM gull grey and tamiya acril black! Still use it. Slow drying but its great. of course its for brushing.

I'm going to pick up some bottles from hobby lobby- thanks. CR

I use pill bottles. Went to the pharmacist and bought a box of 100 for something like $30 or $40. I use them for mixing and storing till I'm done. I also bought a few Andrea dropper bottles and for longer storage an pouring into them.

paint.jpg

James

I have a ton of those- they work for paint? I also have a pile of the black 35mm film canisters- but i hate the fact i cant see if anything is in there.

Back