• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stoewer KFZ 1 from ICM

panzerace007

Hey Everybody,

Well it's not exactly a Tank , but it is from the 11th Panzer Div. ... The Ghosts.

It's the new kit from ICM. The Stoewer KFZ 1. This kit wasn't too awfully bad. There are some minor issues , but any one with a little experience can easily over come.

:hmmm "Rolling ..."

kfz_1_replaced_axels_1_20101023_1982641512.jpg

The first thing you will come across are that the Axels are way too short. So , I rebuilt them. I used some 1/16th rod from ever Green & drilled out the transfer cases( on both ends of the Vehicle). this actually made them True & very sturdy !!

kfz_1_ejector_pins_2_20101023_1874868456.jpg

As you move through the Instructions , everything is pretty much straight forward. Until you get to this Huge Eyesore.:sick: Don't fret. I fixed it with some Gunze Mr.Dissolve Putty. I thinned it with Lacquer thinner & it laid right down into th pin marks.Once dried I too an X-acto chisel blade & planed the spots flush. After that it was sooth sailing !

kfz_top_shot_no_pigments_3_20101023_1332180853.jpg

I deviated from th instructions a bit. I wanted to weather th interior before the Body went on. I also wanted to minimize breakage of the stick shift, parking brake & Pedal assembly so I painted & weathered the interior. Here it is with the Base coat & a 1 run at dry brushing of Vallejo's Flames of War - German Camo Black Brown to show some wear.

kfz_1_interior_top_silver_4_20101023_1617189916.jpg

Next came another layer of Dry brushing of Poly-S's Faded Aluminum in the hardest of wear places.

kfz1modelmakerzpigs_1_20101023_1789722533.jpg

Next came the Pigments. I used ModelMakerZ European Dirt to give it that lived in look.

interiorshotpedalsmodelmakerzpigs_2_20101023_1938540330.jpg

Here's a close up of the pedal assembly & some Dirty-ness :blink

kfzcloseupofspeedo_3_20101023_1783441535.jpg

Included in the Kit decals are some for the Dash. Th Speedo, Oil Pressure, The Shift pattern ( the square decal) & a Clock All fit nicely & settled down great with some Future & Micro-Sol applied after the decal was set.

kfz_1_convertible_top_foil_7_20101023_1274641851.jpg

The Convertible Top wasn't bad, but the Top of it really lacked any type of Detail. I fixed that by Giving her a Wrap of Foil from a Klondike Heath Toffee ice cream bar. It's the only one that Klondike puts out that has any Texture to it. I happened upon it one Summer day whilst I had Me a couple of these Great snacks. I then noticed the Texture of the Foil.
On this type of Application you MUST remove the Wax paper from the inside of the Wrapper. Th foil will then be Less than a 1/16th of an Inch !!! I put some CA on the top of the well ... Top. I then laid the Roof top side down onto the Foil. I burnished it down making sure it was snug. Once dried I ran a small bead on the edge of the Top & wrapped the foil around & under the Top. After that was dried I continued to burnish it down until I was satisfied.

kfzsidetopfoil_5_20101023_2031783879.jpg

i just had to burnish it a little more & then she was ready for some Grey Tamiya Primer.

kfz1_1_20101023_1251009073.jpg

Ta-Dah !B) I base coated the Top with Tamiya Khaki. Dry brushed it with Vallejo Panzer Aces Canvas & a final Dry brush with Tamiya Khaki-Drab.

kfz1iii_6_20101023_1954413871.jpg

kfz1chassisdetail_4_20101023_1438004556.jpg

Here's a shot of the Under carriage. Not too bad.A fair amount of parts to make the Detail really come out.

kfz1bench_1_20101023_1510517106.jpg

I settled on the Often over looked scheme of a 2/3rds Brown & Panzer Grey Camo, that was seen towards the end of the Polish & through the french Campaigns, respectively. Tamiya Flat brown & German Grey were the paint of choice. I also pulled out a set of Vehicle Masks from Trax. they didn't have the Stoewer on there so I matched it up with the KubelWagen ones. Next it was time to shoot some Poly-S dust. Lightly. I also used an Old Model Airplane trick. I attached the Head lights, Windshield & spot light with some Future.

Here are the Finished results. I dry brushed some more German Black Brown camo to show wear & scratches. I finished Her off with a dusting of ModelMakerZ European Dirt.

kfz1blue_1_20101023_1249286655.jpg

kfz1rearshot_2_20101023_1133623997.jpg

Warts & all, it really was not a bad kit. Pay attention to the instructions. There are some glitches. Part A6 is actually A9 & vice versa ! What really would set this kit off is an Option for a retracted Convertible top & some Mighty fine P.E. for the hood . As it is way too thick to show it open ( there's a Full Motor inside !)and lacks the interior detail to show the interior side of the Louvered hood !!

Any Questions ??? Let it rip ! :dude :Hiay

ERIK

You're right, not a tank, it's a and Things. And a really really nice thing! VERY nice treatment of the canvas.

Dear ERIK.

...you did an excelent job on this softskin...like so much the weahering on the floor,btw,very inspiring for me...thanks!...and the treatment on the canvas...inspiring, too!...al in all a great job so far!

Thanks for sharing,my friend!

Best!

Luiz.

Nice work on this truck. I hope you ate the klondike and didn't just use the wrapper, what a shame if you didn't eat it, I love klondikes. The tarp looks great.

Rob

www.scratchmod.com

Nice work on this truck. I hope you ate the klondike and didn't just use the wrapper, what a shame if you didn't eat it, I love klondikes. The tarp looks great.

Rob

www.scratchmod.com

What would I do for a Klondike bar ??? I'd build a Model !!! Oh yeah , ROB that Klondike is long gone !! AND MAN !!, was it good !! IT's My favorite one.Mmmmm Wait!, I'm gonna go get one now !

Thanx for the kind words.

ERIK

You're right, not a tank, it's a and Things. And a really really nice thing! VERY nice treatment of the canvas.

MOONIE,

Yeah, I thought only Planes were in here. I'll make a note !!!:D

Thanx for th kind words on th Top. I also use th Foil to simulate the Canvas that the Germans used to cover their Windshields. Obviously it can be used on anything where you need to depick some textured Canvas.

ERIK

JAMES > Thanx for the kind words. The kit has some minor Issues but, there not Terrible.

CHEYENNE > Thanx. Klondike Heath... Awesome. It gives Me an excuse to buy 'em at th Store ! :D

MIKE > THANX for th kind words ! Hell Yeah - YUM !! I think I'll run down to th store to Re-Stock ! :D

MODEL MANIAC > Yeah this is a fairly New Kit. I wrote a Review for AMPS

- http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/reviews/showReview.aspx?ID=1476&Type=FB

Their software has some Hang-Ups. SO, the review came out a little skewed.

Thanx everybody for th Kind Words !! I gotta get back to th bench. My upcoming project is Dragon's Sd.Kfz 7/1 & Griffon's Epic P.E. set for it !

ERIK

Back