• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Special Lightning Sailboat

Missed this update EJ, she's looking sweet!!

Beautiful work.

Thanks guys. It's falling into place now.

Bought some chrome paint pens yesterday as I'd like the cleats and chocks to look like chrome plated brass fittings. If that works out, I might do the turnbuckles eyes and rings too.

I'm gonna do a test and post the result.

The car guys at the club use them for chrome detail work and really like them.

EJ

I made a list of terms, Just for the standing and running rigging. By comparing them to various diagrams I can visualize what they are and the purpose. It's like learning a new language. Very much different than Machinist's Mate talk - " steam pressure, saturated steam/superheated steam, condensers, evaporators, turbines, righty tighty - lefty loosey, etc".

The book has been a huge help.

BackstaysStanding rigging that supports the mast from aft.
BecketAn eye in the end of a block to which a rope may be secured.
BendTo fasten one rope to another.
BightAny segment of a rope between the ends.
Block(Pully) with a rope through them is a tackle
Bolt ropesewn into the edges of a sail
Boomspar at the foot of a sail
Boom Vangtackle secured to the boom to prevent it from lifting and to flatten the sail
Cableanchor rope
Cheek blocka block mounted to the side of a spar
Clewlower after corner of a sail
Clew outhaultackle by which the clew is hauled out on the boom
Cringlecircular eye of rope around a thimble, worked in the leach and clew of a sail
Downhaul - boomtackle attached to the goosneck, by which the boom is pulled down after the sail is hoisted, to lighten the luff
Eye splicea loop spliced into the end of a rope
footthe lower edge of a sail
foresailsail set from the foremast
gaffa spar that supports the head of a sail
gasketa sail stop
gilguya lanyard to tie off a halyard to prevent it from slatting againsed the mast
goosneckfitting which secures the boom to the mast
halyardsropes for hoisting sails
head sailssails forward of the mast
headthe upper carner of a sail
hitchcombination of turns to make fast a rope to another rope or spar
jiba triangular sail set ahead of the mast, on the jibstay
jumper staya trusslike stay on the upper forward side of the mast
lanyardshort line used to make anything fast
leachthe after edge of the sail
linesropes used for various purposes, dock lines, sheets, halyards
loose footeda sail wiyhout a boom, secured at the tack and clew only
outhaula line used to haul the corner of a sail out to the end of a boom or gaff
purchasea tackle
reevepass a rope through a block
roacha curve in the leach of a sail
runnersbackstays which can be set up or slacked off while underway
running rigginglines used to control the sails
sheaveroller in a block
sheetline used to trim the sail
shroudsrigging which stays a mast at the sides
snatch blocka block with an opening in one side into which a bight of a rope can be placed without hauling the whole length through.
snubcheck the running of a rope or line by taking a turn around a cleat or bitt
sparsall booms, gaffs, masts
spinnakerspherical sail used in reaching and running
standing partthe part of a rope that is made fast
standing riggingthe shrouds and stays that support the mast
staysrigging that supports the mast from forward or aft
staysaila triangular for and aft sail set from various stays or sey flying on a hallyard
stopspieces of line or canvas strips used to secure a sail when furling it
Tacklea purchase composed of blocks and rope
Topping lifta line or tackle from the mashead supporting the boom at its after end
travelera track that allows athwartships movement of the inboard end of a mainsheet or jib sheet

EJ

I guess those guys had nothing else to do on the long voyages than to come up with all these crazy names.

Thanks EJ!

The sails and running rigging for this baby will be as seen when at dockside, so the sails will be furled or stored, the running rigging will be in place, ready for use when getting under way.

Got a boom support made and installed. This is required on this type of rigging as the sail actually supports the boom at the free end when sailing. When the main sail is furled it is needed to support the free end. The support is removed and stowed when sailing.

LzO9I1V.jpg

The main sail is furled to the boom with stops and a sail cover is made and ready for installation.

pnGMOhR.jpg

The boom is installed, the sail is lashed to the boom at the the tack and the outhaul, the boom is lashed down at the mast to prevent lifting out of the gooseneck, and the halyard for the mainsail is run from the head to the masthead, through a block and back to the deck. Waiting for some more cleats to use for tying off the working ends.

ihfNang.jpg

I cleaned up the only suitable cleat I have and used the Molotow chrome marker on it. I think it looks like real chrome plated boat fittings. I think I'm gonna use it on some of the eyes and other hardware too. I need to polish the base metal a bit more to get a smoother finish. That's a toothpick it's propped up on.

3ImgUaS.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll set the jib sail rigging. The jib sail itself is taken down, folded and put in a sail bag for storage, so I've gotta make a bag for it.

EJ

Nice cleat! Those sails and the boat look great. I bet against the right backdrop, people would mistake this for the real thing!

A bit more,
Finished the lashing of the furled sail to the boom and covered up all that work with the sail cover.

YFuQJwt.jpg

Then, made a sail bag for the jib sail. That sail was taken down, stowed in a bag when not used.

HBUnV8w.jpg

With the sail cover and sail bag.

x8vWRI2.jpg

Today and tomorrow more cleats will arrive so I'll have a better selection of shapes and sizes to choose from for different applications.

In the meantime, my new mini table saw just arrived!!

IMG_0013.JPG

Been really busy, but have collected several styles of bitts and cleats. The one on the left came with the kit, and I like it the best. This one has been cleaned up and painted with Molotov chrome markers.

IMG_0050.JPG

EJ

I like the 4935, seems to have more character...I like the up swept ends. :popcorn

Yeah, I'm gonna use some of those too for the smaller diameter lines. They are pot metal but finished with a bronze tone of some kind. The one in the pic is Molotoved, but only one coat and didn't cover well.

EJ

I forgot - Went to our first IPMS club meeting yesterday. We used to meet in a church basement, but they don't want us there because of the covid restrictions here. Since the first of March, we've been talking with a school called "The Aviation Academy" It's out by the airport on the grounds. There is an engineering school and an aviation school. The room we met in is a workroom with about 20 stainless steel workstations. There are two wing frames and a mini helicopter frame under construction there BY THE STUDENTS. These will be actual flying aircraft when done. I was really Really impressed with the simply beautiful riveting and welding on both the steel and aluminum parts. This school is amazing, and they seem to really want us there. There is space for us to do local shows and even a regional competition, as well as work spaces for our build-n-show day and classrooms for our regular meetings. The kids are required to do so many hours of volunteer work, so they jump at the chance to help set up for shows and such. And, all this is free! All we need to do is let any of the kids become members of the club. That's a no-brainer. Our aircraft modelers are really excited about it all. I have volunteered to mentor as a building person for bridges, towers, boomilevers etc for their Science Olympiad program. I did that at another charter school for 5 years where some of my grandkids attended.

Well lighted, spacious, very very clean, modern. The club uses the state recommended covid guidelines, wear a mask, temp taken when arriving, disinfecting the workspaces when we're done and social distancing. The workspaced had 4 stools each, so we each took one station, using 1 stool. Plenty of space. One wall of the space had a giant overhead door which they had opened. It was like working outdoors. How sweet it was. It was good to be back with our model group again.

The builds being worked on were, cleats for my lightning, a Coast guard tugboat, parts for a diorama, several autos, two armour, and a PE kit of a ferris wheel, and 3 different aircraft, among others.

EJ

This is what I did at the club meeting;
Cleaned up 5 die cast cleats and chromed them. I'll start on some smaller two horned cleats for the smaller lines. They are also die cast, but coated with a brown maybe lacquer, to look like wood? I'll be sanding them anyway and chroming them as well. Plus about four small chocks.

e9m2nmQ.jpg

EJ

Back