• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SPAD XIII 1/48th scale

centaur567

Don't remember if I had posted this before or not. If had I couldn't find it.

hd6386ef.JPG

h961e08c.JPG

This is Dragon's 1/48th scale SPAD XIII. Had problems with the fit of some of the cockpit detail, i.e. the oil tank sits to high and tilts the seat. Had to pry out the floor and seat after the fuselage was together to fix the problem. A real pain. :bang head The fit of the upper cowling could be bette

ha12ee37.JPG

I used Testors "ivory" for the underside.

I applied masking tape on the wings and fuselage ad drew out a pattern. Then place the tape on glass and cut it out.

h1aadd5b.JPG

The first upper color was a mix of tans to get the close enough shade of beige.

h1aadd5b_2019-10-11.JPG

For the next color I had a Hummbrel tin of light green grey.

hc8a2e4b.JPG

I had some left over dark green from the IL-2 build for the next color. Testors brown and black came next.

hb1e8e5e.JPG

Opps!! Touch up time.

hf79ffdf.JPG

ha6eba2e.JPG

ha6eba2e.JPG

Just minor touch left to do. Thanks for looking. Gary S.

These little 1/48th WWI planes can be a challenge to build Gary. You are coming along quite nicely on your Spad!

Looks_Good_GIF.gif

h2763dce.JPG

h38c7755.JPG

h11dcdaf.JPG

h623448a.JPG

h11bab8b.JPG

h6dbf21a.JPG

h58e4175.JPG

The old SPAD is finally DONE!! I was very disappointed in the fit of the center wing strut. My fault, not the kits. I was worried about he age of the decals. They were yellowed and placed in a sunny window for 5 or so days to bleach them out. Went I applied them they had to sit in water for a few minutes before coming loose. But they went on OK. Used future as a wet before and after application. This is my second build of this kit and the first one was easier for some reason. Thanks for looking!! Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Well , that came out really nice Gary . Love the colors . Not like they were trying to hide .

I have heard of setting decals with Future but have never tried it . Are you using straight Future or diluted .
It always seems to set up so quickly , positioning a decals is sort of scary.

Cheers, Christian B)

h2763dce.JPG

h38c7755.JPG

h11dcdaf.JPG

h623448a.JPG

h11bab8b.JPG

h6dbf21a.JPG

h58e4175.JPG

The old SPAD is finally DONE!! I was very disappointed in the fit of the center wing strut. My fault, not the kits. I was worried about he age of the decals. They were yellowed and placed in a sunny window for 5 or so days to bleach them out. Went I applied them they had to sit in water for a few minutes before coming loose. But they went on OK. Used future as a wet before and after application. This is my second build of this kit and the first one was easier for some reason. Thanks for looking!! Gary S. XXXXV XX XX

Really nice build. :pilot

Back