• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Sorry Charlie!" Quad Gun Truck

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
OK, peer pressure is a royal b!tch sometimes! :laugh: Last fall, one of our esteemed members strong armed me into taking this project on, of course, I didn't HAVE to let him do it. It was just an offer that was too good to turn down :S :hmmm . I am headed into uncharted waters for me, I have never attempted a military truck, much less this resin conversion. Here's what I'm starting with...

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

The jury is still out on whether I use the Studebaker cab or not, I really like the shape of it!

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

I do not have a "scene" in mind yet, going to let that idea simmer as the build progresses. Suggestions, links, photos, good humored catcalls always welcome. I love the smell of cordite in the morning.... :eek:hyeah
(y)

The jury is still out on whether I use the Studebaker cab or not, I really like the shape of it!

You have a Studebaker as well?

By the way, the GMC CCKW 352 long wheelbase conversion looks excellent! Especially, the hard top cab! I remember having to combine the hard cab from Italeri's water tanker kit:

130038-10911.jpg

with their GMC 2 1/2 ton truck to get that result:

DSC08962.jpg

This will be fun to watch, I hope you use the resin and forget the ICM Studebaker US-6 kit.

101521-b.jpg

I had a Schmidt vacuum-formed conversion for the leftovers of the previously mentioned kit bash plus Italeri's Katyusha to make a wartime one.

Regards,

Think Mike may be echoing my mistake in calling that hard top cab a Studebaker.

not putting words in Mike's mouth but he and I had a brainstorm over this kit and thought it would look cool if someone did a guntruck version of the hardtop cab. It's a little more project than I can handle so I pawn...suggested Mike take it on and handed him the truck and the resin.

You know, you learn the damnedest things when you read the box! I had just barely looked at the hard top cab when it was pawned, er, given to me and at first look, thought it was a Stude. The box clearly says GMC, so color me confused. This build is going to be a "phantom", a compilation of many of the gun trucks from the era, with my own Irony. Hoping to squeeze this in between builds, glad there's interest in the gun truck! :D
Crank the speakers, let's get it on!

:eek:hyeah

:erik

Yeah Baby ! That's what I like to hear !! Let's get it on ! I'll be watchin. I Dig th Vietnam stuff & this Gun truck will Rock-N-Roll !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H7U71KZEJw

Now really Crank it up !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0lfHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdR7yieQdoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iv7_6qqfZI

I'm lookin forward to this Bro !!

Hello, Mike!

What time period are you going for?

The reason I ask it that by the time US Forces were in Vietnam, the US Military pretty much
replaced the old World War 2 duece and a halfs with the M35 series. That is not to say that
you couldn't find the older trucks in country because there were some left by the French,
however, I doubt that they were made into guntrucks. Most that I have seen were on M35 or
M54 series trucks and were not hard tops.

But then again, anything could happen due to Soldier ingenuity. Like to see what turns.

Cheers,
James

As was mentioned before, I was suckered, er, persuaded to take this kit, so who knows how it's gonna turn out? I think I'll save the hardtop for another build and go for that early prototype field mod idea. :D

Man, is this thread getting old and dusty! I had a minor power outage in the model room with my trip to the IPMS Regionals in KC, but got back in the saddle today. The Tamiya kit is typically Tamiya, everything fits like it should and goes together with a minimum of sanding mold lines.

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

The Dragon Quad gun is a cool little kit!! It has one fret of PE and the molding of the parts is crisp.

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5463.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

I'm off again tomorrow, planning to spend the day at the bench. Guess we'll see what cooks up!

:drinks

After scouring the internet and my reference book, I decided to add most of the trailer. The trailer tongue would be something to fall over, so I did not add it during the construction. I cut a piece of tread plate slightly larger than the trailer, will attach it to the frame rails with carriage bolts and made angle iron brackets with bolts to hold the trailer to the bed.

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5473.JPG

It doesn't look like I accomplished much today, but there are a lot of really little parts to get this far. Thanks for checking it out, suggestions always welcome.

POW-MIA3.jpg

:drinks

Of course if I had not gotten in the way , you might have accomplished more :rotf .

That's a lot of pieces Mike :popcorn :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Back