• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Shiney cars.

ausf

Master at Arms
I'm building a '67 Impala for my son. It's from a TV show he watches and oddly enough, I restored Impalas when I was younger, so I'm no stranger to this one.

Question is I need a high gloss Black finish on this and I'm really only an armor guy. I'm comfortable with getting the surface clean and handling an airbrush, but not sure about high gloss.

My natural inclination is to go black and top coat with many light coats of Future, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Any help would ge greatlyappreciated, I primarily use Vallejo, but I'll pick up whatever paints will work best short of laquer, I'd prefer acrylic or ether based.

Go find a can of Tamiya TS-14, apply several mist coats building up to one wet final coat, allowing about 20 minutes between coats. Let it cure a couple days and buff with Tamiya Compound and a piece of damp flannel. Works for me.

2046.JPG

32_hiboy_roadster.jpg

B) :drinks

Oh yeah.

That'll do just fine. I'm plenty familiar with Tammy paints, I'll grab a bottle and some compound.

Thanks Mike!

The paint on the roadster is the TS rattle can, sprayed right out of the can. I've not tried a shiny paint job with the bottle stuff. There will be a little texture in the final coat, the compound makes it go away with very little effort. Side note, if you get any dust in any of the coats, wait a day, then wetsand the body lightly with 600 grit, let dry then add more coats. B)

And post results here!!!

67 Impala, Dad had one, Super Sport, two door, bucket seats, leather. White with black interior. Dang car would HAUL. I've thought I wanted to model it but could never do it justice.

67 Impala, Dad had one, Super Sport, two door, bucket seats, leather. White with black interior. Dang car would HAUL. I've thought I wanted to model it but could never do it justice.

My first car was a '69 I bought from the original owner for $200 in '83. 396, TH400 and 411 posi rear. I could smoke both rear tires just by hitting the pedal. I was only limited by the price of gas. Way too much car for an 18 year old.

My favorite of all the Impalas I had was my '64 SS. Many summer nights cruising Hylan Blvd.

Get the rattle can of Tamiya gloss black...almost impossible not to get a perfect finish.

I suggest a base coat of Tamiya flat black first.

Tom

My first car was a '69 I bought from the original owner for $200 in '83. 396, TH400 and 411 posi rear. I could smoke both rear tires just by hitting the pedal. I was only limited by the price of gas. Way too much car for an 18 year old.

My favorite of all the Impalas I had was my '64 SS. Many summer nights cruising Hylan Blvd.

Oh hell yeah it would. Seen it many times. Back in the day Dad would buy new every 2 years, he was a Chevy salesman once so he got good deals. He was in the construction business at that time and was on the road all day between job sites. He made great time between sites! I remember one had a "Cross Fire" setup and this really long cowl over the fan, think it was a 69. Last one he got was a 75 Caprice with a 454!

Awesome finish Mike, yes I too love those Tamiya rattle cans, it's great paint - why would one want to try anything else after seeing your result, now I want to do one !!

Back