• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sherman PTO

Wow is was just a GREAT spring day today! Although it called for rain, it was cloudy yet bright, with an occasional slight breeze, and temps at 65 degrees F/18.3 C. As most of you know, I don't have a man cave so it was n the porch.

here is where I sit with the Zvezda Sherman PTO. This was my first ever attempt for camo without stencils. It's not perfect, but then again, there will be either sandbags or track links covering at least part of the front slope. I tried to give the Olive Brad a bit of modulation, and went with some 'artistic license' on the side-wood armor. I was thinking that the armor was painted with whatever green they happened to have on hand, hope the color difference shows.
yep it sure needs cleaning up and there is tons yet to do, and yeah, I might go back and rework some of that wood armor, but I have to say I am pretty happy with it.
oGtYUh4.jpg

iXoGvRv.jpg

uhg5KRG.jpg

ZBoAV5f.jpg

FlS6nHE.jpg

There's a lot of overspray Bruce, don't think you got the paint thin enough to get fine lines. Maybe next week we can do a build day?

I really should have used the finer tip Sotar, lower pressure & thinner paint. I can still touch this up and have it come out right

Ok so as with the Sherman ETO, it was a bit cooler here in the South East (80 degrees F/26.7 deg C for you chaps outside the US and the humidity 'only' pushed it to 86F/30C), so I got out and managed to get a bit of re-work on this one as well. Once I re-sprayed it with Olive Drab and then did some moderation work, I hit it with the black. Note that the "wood Armor" is painted a different shade of green. I am imagining this was due to the only paint aboard the ship being a slightly different shade of green. I also think I need to go add some brown in there too, but ran out of time. overall, I think it is coming along quite well.

Here is super-very-roughly what I was thinking with the brown/camo color:
va80RMl.jpg

Should I add the brown? thoughts appreciated!
SH4AeIf.jpg

0M5yuzf.jpg

WAraQar.jpg

ZJiyrtm.jpg

UkEP0Im.jpg

Great JOB on this one too Bruce. I liker the look of the hard edge black on this one.
:popcorn

The wood would absorb the paint more so that might be why it's a different tone. I would go for a starkly different OD on this. Add more yellow ochre or maybe a wash of it.

OK so today it was rather warm, but in SC we lacked the "melt your face off" humidity, so instead of mowing the lawn as i should have...I got some more paint on a model!

As you can see here she is coming along quite nicely. I made stencils for the brown, applied them, covered the remainder of the model with protective tape, and get R done.

My idea here is that the the wood armor and the camo paint are more recent to an already faded tank. I am quite pleased with the end result and can now move towards (almost) final assembly!

WSSAPlQ.jpg

3yNomJ1.jpg

jhu8oqH.jpg

erthqe2.jpg

aVYWCsE.jpg

OK so I got a wee-bit of time with this today! Really only about two hours, but was able to make the most of it. From Flea-bay, I was able to get, at very minimal cost, two sets of Asuka Tracks for the M4A2. The kit tracks are not the 'chevron' type, so I went this route. One set went on the Zvezda, and interestingly, I had to remove 4 'links' via a sharp exacto knife in order for it to fit, but it otherwise went together quite well.

The other set was butchered and here it is, but these are not permanent in their glue, this just gives an indicator as to where I see this going. yes, I have a TON of detail paint to get to, I have to figure out what all this stuff actually hung onto, but the Value gear Wood armor and the Asuka tracks have this looking rather nice, I do say. Now to add stowage as with the ETO, and soon she'll be ready for pin washes and weathering!

2DxOZNw.jpg

Xb0xxgQ.jpg

jfxr4Zp.jpg

Neat, like I said maybe a iron bar up the middle of those tracks to hold them in place. Not sure how they would attach in the real word. :popcorn

Looking good there Brucey-Boy! Moonpup's suggestions will finish this off good.
:vgood:

Looking good there Brucey-Boy! Moonpup's suggestions will finish this off good.
:vgood:
Yep I will work on that soon! It’s not like all that stays on via magic or good intentions! I have an idea for something I want to try on there but yes it is coming along nicely!

Back