• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sherman II DV finished

Sherman II DV

Ready to be primed. I used the kit tracks. However,I took one link off on both sides.

DV10_zps32cee3c1.jpg

DV11_zpsa82e9155.jpg

DV12_zps2185c120.jpg

Sherman II DV

Chad I got a M4A1 on page 127 in Son of Sherman that looks like it has screen over the box but it's hard to tell. It's not the focus of the picture. Still looking.

Sherman II DV

Chad I got a M4A1 on page 127 in Son of Sherman that looks like it has screen over the box but it's hard to tell. It's not the focus of the picture. Still looking.

Thanks Bob. :) I have The New Breed book,that has Shermans and priests in the El Alamein area. No luck with any pix of that box.

Sherman II DV

Yeah, not a very exciting spot on the take to take a picture of. I'd go for it,if you got it. :popcorn

Sherman II DV

I do decal prep a little different. I brush on either gloss or semi gloss on the area where the decals go. Apply the decals,then spray the shiny flat coat on.
DV10_zps05e8b7e4.jpg

DV11_zps646c58db.jpg

Sherman II DV

That's Semi gloss?? Looks like a museum piece Chad, let's get some dirt on that bad boy! :popcorn

Sherman II DV

Still it does look cool. Cant help but think that air recognition roundel must have seemed like a big bullseye for the Luftwaffe.
James

Sherman II DV

Thanks Bob and James. I will wait two or three more days,then apply a wash to her.

Sherman II DV

Got the wash on today. I need to go over a lot of the wash areas and lift some off. The camera has a better set of eyes than I do. :bang head

DV18_zps5aab8308.jpg

DV19_zps4c923352.jpg

DV20_zps3cdcc2ef.jpg

This is taken from The New Breed book. It is the tank I am building. Does the .50 look like the type used on planes?
DVMG_zpsf336575c.jpg

Sherman II DV

On the .50 cals, I think yes for the most part. Depending on how they were mounted, be it fixed or flex mount. Some had different barrels of course. But the core of the gun was the same, and if I'm not mistaken, still is the same. I believe I read somewhere that the aircraft guns had something lighter to make them have a higher fire rate, maybe the bolt or something.. not sure. Of course there were a lot of add on stuff like heaters, mechanical vers electrical cocking mechanisms.

Maybe someone can help you out with more detail info Chad but I think that's the big picture of it.

Wash looks good, clean up with you think then do some more...:popcorn

Sherman II DV

On the .50 cals, I think yes for the most part. Depending on how they were mounted, be it fixed or flex mount. Some had different barrels of course. But the core of the gun was the same, and if I'm not mistaken, still is the same. I believe I read somewhere that the aircraft guns had something lighter to make them have a higher fire rate, maybe the bolt or something.. not sure. Of course there were a lot of add on stuff like heaters, mechanical vers electrical cocking mechanisms.

Maybe someone can help you out with more detail info Chad but I think that's the big picture of it.

Wash looks good, clean up with you think then do some more...:popcorn
I just wish I could figure out if it is mounted on a different part of the turret. I can tel by looking at the pic of the real tank,it is not placed on the usual mount on the TC hatch. I think I will send an e-mail to either the Bovington Museum,or The Imperial War Museum.

Sherman II DV

Ha, welcome to my world. had the same problem with the EZ8

DVMG_zpsf336575c.jpg

Chad it looks like it is mounted on that ring. Looks like that U type mount instead of the big cradle they use.

Sherman II DV

Zod, I believe that is a 30 cal Browning on the commanders cupola. The Academy US Machine gun kit has aircraft 50 cals and also 30 cals if that is what your looking for.

Back