• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sharkmouth's Steyr Waffenträger Updated Nov. 22

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
After finding too much fiction in my Panzerjäger E-100, I almost pulled a Mulligan (to use Moon Puppy's term). However, I will just build this one. There actually was one vehicle built.

SteyrSciFi001.JPG

Obligatory start image. I went to the bench at 21:30...

Two hours later:
SteyrSciFi002.JPG

There is plenty to tweak, look at the backsides of the suspension which will be visible:
SteyrSciFi003.JPG

Also look in the crew compartment doors in the hull photo, notice how the Germans added a crew hatch and visor so the ammunition box can assist?

Regards,

Re: Sharkmouth's Krupp Steyr Waffenträger

Disappointing short cuts there Saul. I wonder if the ammo was meant to be further back, although that would make it necessary to be a side opening door rather than rear opening. Looking forward to seeing what you will do with this. Just saw that Sprue Brothers got them in.
James

I think I came up with a possible ammunition layout. Sadly, all this time was spent rearranging my library so lost time but plenty to think during the shuffling of 2000+ books. After I glue in the turret ring, I will try my idea and take photographs.

Regards,

So, what is the problem here?

SteyrWaffentraeger001.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger002.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger003.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger004.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger005.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger006.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger007.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger008.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger009.jpg

Working on some answers, more to follow.

Regards,

That thing is screaming for a detail set! I may be in love....good work and luck!

Hinge, hatch too thick?

Maybe the ammo bin is incorrect, perhaps it was open top where the ammo is passed down from the hatch?

Hinge, hatch too thick?

Maybe the ammo bin is incorrect, perhaps it was open top where the ammo is passed down from the hatch?

According to the 'as built' drawings in Panzer Tracts 7-3, there seems to be slatted grills, facing outboards, in place of the engine hatch depicted in this kit.

The ammunition bin is definitely wrong but the hull is too shallow for the projectiles to be stowed vertically. I am thinking they are stowed horizontally over the sponsons, ala Tiger, plus some are vertically clamped to the turret base & ring (which proves that the hexagonal turret base makes no sense). I have asked the draftsman for some clarity.

Regards,

wow, I thought I could blame Trumpeter's design staff but it seems that these strange quirks are from the New Connection Models staff. It seems Trumpeter was 'heavily inspired' by their resin kit:

Click image to see a build on a Polish forum.

Regards,

Man, that is a Halloween finger for sure! Glad I can't read Polish! The red is striking, I can't wait to see what is next. The kit boo boos sound fixable, interested to know what you find out. (y) :soldier B)

Looking forward to Your new updates! :popcorn

All the best! :)
Dusan.

The draftsman concurred with my suggestions saying I was correct. While I won't see any photographs, at least I have a better understanding of the internal layout and can build something closer to reality.

Regards,

Thats cool that you can chat with the draftsman. Looking forward to more Saul.
James

SHARK,

Lookin like a Good start .. save th Turret. I looked at th Polish thread ... it looked as if th Modeler had raised th turret a touch , just enough to clear th Hinges ... any way for you to shim up th turret & give it enough elevation to clear th hinges ?

I'm lookin forward to more.

I went to the bench for only one hour but here are my thoughts:

To have a starting point, here is a photo from before:
SteyrWaffentraeger009.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger010.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger011.jpg

SteyrWaffentraeger012.jpg

Regards,

oh my ... so many corrections needed?

you got all my sympathy saúl - in the end this cygnet will turn into a swan ... no wait - all cygnets turn into swans ... erm ... uhm ... this ugly duck will turn into a swan in the end! :)

:popcorn

Back