• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sharkman's AMTech P-40

Back at it!

It will be soo nice to get to a point where I only have 1 or 2 (maybe three) models on the go at once! :gogo

been working on closing up the pit which means I had to finish off the sights first. I cut away the plastic sight and then replaced it with a small piece of clear plastic

and started to add the glass, hopefully you can see the sights installed here

all the glass work on (decided to close it up as the canopy was very thick and wouldn't look right open).

and spent part of the morning masking! :pinch:

next up, I'll tackle the gear!

Looking very nice Warren (y)

I agree with you Warren . Too many things going on at the same time makes life hard :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks all! I was hit with another flu :sick: the last couple weeks which really set me back a good week and a half. Also, we had some more snow (up to 70 cm) and a few colds with the young ones. Gotta love what viruses and colds they breed at daycare!

Anyway, got a little more work done here.

From a few builds of this aircraft online I've read that the blue on the decal sheet might be a bit dark, so I opted to paint my own stripe, wheels and spinner with a bit of Model Master dark blue lightened with white.

Couldn't get a good line on the spinner so I tried it freehand with a brush

I noticed after I attached the prop though that i forgot to paint the prop tips yellow! Will have to fix that!

Egads!!! :eek:hmy: Yer gonna git me ta drag out one o my Hawks! :smack I got this same kit in the stash... Looks good & I'll be :popcorn

A few more updates!

Added a couple pieces of wire to the wings for gear down indicators!

masked and painted the non skid stripe

Finally tackled the gear. If you recall, I got some new wheels from Ultracast. they are a little big though for the AmTech gear so they need a slight mod.

I drilled out the gear ends and put a wire pin in.

Then put a little styrene rod plug in the wheel and will drill those out to accept the pin in the gear leg

Then I added a few other pieces to make the gear look more correct. the AmTech gear with the kit appears to be wrong.

So now it's sitting on it's wheels and has most of the other fiddly bits on. You can see the Ultracast exhausts out front. I got a bit ahead of myself with the gear tonight. i was going to try to add some brake lines, kinda forgot. I'll see if I can add them after the fact.

Installed the exhausts. These come in "port" and "Starboard" pieces so be careful! I painted them a mixture of Humbrol gold and copper.

added the wires from stretched sprue

And so, she's basically done! It needs a gloss coat, some decals, a light weathering and a flat coat (and the landing light). I think I can do that in the next two evenings!

Back