• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sd.Kfz. 142/1

Okay then........... I applied a MIG cold grey wash all over this girl. Should I use a light or darker brown wash over some areas? I have MIG brown wash,and I think I have MIG neutral wash.

It all depends on the history of the particular StuG.
Did this StuG travel over muddy soil or over rock hard snow and ice,was this StuG covered with snow?

Make up your own story line about this one.

If it ran some time over mud,a brown wash would be OK.
If it ran over snowy soil or if it was covered by snow,I would not use brown washes a lot,...maybe just on very selective areas and stick with the cold grey wash and/or the neutral wash.
Hope This Helps.

:soldier soldier on,Chad!

Greetings,Ron.

Okay then........... I applied a MIG cold grey wash all over this girl. Should I use a light or darker brown wash over some areas? I have MIG brown wash,and I think I have MIG neutral wash.

It all depends on the history of the particular StuG.
Did this StuG travel over muddy soil or over rock hard snow and ice,was this StuG covered with snow?

Make up your own story line about this one.

If it ran some time over mud,a brown wash would be OK.
If it ran over snowy soil or if it was covered by snow,I would not use brown washes a lot,...maybe just on very selective areas and stick with the cold grey wash and/or the neutral wash.
Hope This Helps.

:soldier soldier on,Chad!

Greetings,Ron.
Will do Ron. :D

:popcorn
Looking good Zod. Good to see you gave the winter cammo a go. A hard finish but I think you have really got the right feel.
I would go with a dark brown pin wash with a very fine brush. Oil paint mix 5% black, 70 %Burnt Umber, 20% Burnt sienna.
Be very subtle and don't do any more overall washes as you will destroy the winter cammo effect.
You just want to add some dark brown for subtle definition around some detail - but not all. go for random areas on the rear decvk , roof , front hatches and checker plate on the track guards.
I would finish with a subtle brown dry brush on some edges and on the surface of the track guards where there is the dot effect. This dry brush's well and will give a worn cammo look where the soldiers and gear rub it off - just be subtle and take nearly all the paint away from the brush before starting.
If you use :
Acrylic - Vallejo Model color # 70822 German C.Black or
Oils - Burnt sienna with a touch of black or
Pigments - Dark earth with some black or graveyard dirt (fantasy color -MIG)

Good luck - you only improve if you take a chance.

Brokeneagle

:popcorn
Looking good Zod. Good to see you gave the winter cammo a go. A hard finish but I think you have really got the right feel.
I would go with a dark brown pin wash with a very fine brush. Oil paint mix 5% black, 70 %Burnt Umber, 20% Burnt sienna.
Be very subtle and don't do any more overall washes as you will destroy the winter cammo effect.
You just want to add some dark brown for subtle definition around some detail - but not all. go for random areas on the rear decvk , roof , front hatches and checker plate on the track guards.
I would finish with a subtle brown dry brush on some edges and on the surface of the track guards where there is the dot effect. This dry brush's well and will give a worn cammo look where the soldiers and gear rub it off - just be subtle and take nearly all the paint away from the brush before starting.
If you use :
Acrylic - Vallejo Model color # 70822 German C.Black or
Oils - Burnt sienna with a touch of black or
Pigments - Dark earth with some black or graveyard dirt (fantasy color -MIG)

Good luck - you only improve if you take a chance.

Brokeneagle

Thanks for the tips Brokeneagle. :dude

I added some MIG brown wash to the first two road wheels. Then rubbed some of it of with thinner.

wash3_zps65f51098.jpg

I think I may have to add some more neutral wash. A few days ago,the storage container this was in dropped. :bang head So I know the white area on the barrel,and the MG shield stand out. I had to fill in the ejector pin mark on the MG shield. I will add the MIG cold grey wash on those areas.

wash5_zpsc675f80e.jpg

wash4_zps56295e42.jpg

wash6_zps84147d60.jpg

Trying to bring this back to life. Some time ago,this slipped,and the barrel broke. I got the barrel straight. However,I am having a hard time blending the repair together. After I glued the barrel back together,I had to add some putty to the small crack.

barrel1_zps0f4e4f84.jpg

Always frustrating if stuff like that happens,Chad.

Maybe add some snow over the entire vehicle and it's barrel,there are several products on the market to make snow.(just thinking outloud)
Or maybe it just looks ok,as it is now.

Greetings,Ron.

Back