• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sayonara, Building a 1/35th Japanese Garden.

Sayonara Diorama finished Dec. 7th, 2013

Simply fantastic, Big Bob! The carpeted plinth is really nice stand for this majestic sculpture. Cheers- and happy birthday to Gail!

Beautiful work... if someone says the secret message it will no longer be a secret so... keep it to yourselves (whoever can read it).
;)

Regards,

:notworthy is the only thing I can come up with.

Just amazing in scope and vision. Thank you for sharing another one of your journeys with us. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

:yipee :notworthy :geek :good: :dance :soldier :Hiay :dude :ro: :mpup :gogo :v (y) :D

OH. MAH. GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE THE COOLEST DAD ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think all the superlatives have already been said, but absolutely amazing work Bob.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy no words to express how this job is perfect :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Congratulations :drinks

Luiz.

Well done Sir! A real labor of love.

Terry :notworthy

This reminds me of those old Korean war movies I used to watch when I was youngster. It makes me want to go to Japan. Really serene.

New birthday project. Japan dio. Updt Nov.13 2013

holy shite! :blink i really missed a lot here - i should really try to get back into track. let's hope that next year won't be as stressful as the last 1 1/2 years have been ...

that figure's kimono is phantastic painting and my personal standout in an(other) outstanding diorama of yours!

The sign hanging from the gate entrance has a secret message in Japanese that Only Gail and I know. Of course if you speak Japanese, you will also be in on the secret!

statue_zps82931c45.jpg

i can't read japanese - admitted! i don't know what the signs say - admitted!

i just hope, that it's not a recipe for delicious noodle soup ...

:mpup

I haven't the words to express what I really think about this outstanding overwhelmingly beautiful diorama. I would say that instead of a "worm's-eye view" I'd call it a "duck's-eye view". I did miss the pic of the closeup on the bridge since it did not load; but I saw enough in the other pics to be totally overwhelmed. I can't say anything more; there just aren't any words in the English language.

Outstanding work and a real joy to watch this come to life! :notworthy

Greetings,Ron.

Glad you enjoyed it Ron!

Thanks!

Beautiful (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks James!

Fantastic work Bob! It has been great to watch this amazing dio progress from concept to completion. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you!

Simply fantastic, Big Bob! The carpeted plinth is really nice stand for this majestic sculpture. Cheers- and happy birthday to Gail!

Thanks Chuck!

Beautiful work... if someone says the secret message it will no longer be a secret so... keep it to yourselves (whoever can read it).
;)

Regards,

Actually Saul, it just says, "Happy Birthday Gail, I love you, Dad". I thought it was cool that I could get it translated into Japanese!

:notworthy is the only thing I can come up with.

Just amazing in scope and vision. Thank you for sharing another one of your journeys with us. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Anything for your sis Son,

Thanks,

Dad :D

:yipee :notworthy :geek :good: :dance :soldier :Hiay :dude :ro: :mpup :gogo :v (y) :D

OH. MAH. GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE THE COOLEST DAD ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Sweetheart, that's my goal!!

I think all the superlatives have already been said, but absolutely amazing work Bob.

Thanks Adam,

Glad you enjoyed it!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy no words to express how this job is perfect :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Congratulations :drinks

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz,

Not perfect at all, but as close as I'll ever get to it. :D

Well done Sir! A real labor of love.

Terry :notworthy

Thanks Terry,

You got that right!!

Just wonderful!! :notworthy :notworthy

Just one thing though.... on the brass plate, it says 51! that must be wrong, she don't look a day more than 31!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful project with us Bob :good:

//Mats

holy shite! :blink i really missed a lot here - i should really try to get back into track. let's hope that next year won't be as stressful as the last 1 1/2 years have been ...

that figure's kimono is phantastic painting and my personal standout in an(other) outstanding diorama of yours!

The sign hanging from the gate entrance has a secret message in Japanese that Only Gail and I know. Of course if you speak Japanese, you will also be in on the secret!

i can't read japanese - admitted! i don't know what the signs say - admitted!

i just hope, that it's not a recipe for delicious noodle soup ...

:mpup

Thanks Laura,

I already told Saul what it means. "Happy Birthday Gail, I love you, Dad". No soup recipe, I've sent you enough recipes, Gail too! :D :D

I hope your new year will be stress free!

This reminds me of those old Korean war movies I used to watch when I was youngster. It makes me want to go to Japan. Really serene.

Thanks Paul, I have been there. It is really serene! There is actually something calming about Japanese Gardens.

Outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Thanks Andy!

Perfect.... simple as that.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I appreciate your words. I'd love to reach perfection, but have never been able to even get close!

I haven't the words to express what I really think about this outstanding overwhelmingly beautiful diorama. I would say that instead of a "worm's-eye view" I'd call it a "duck's-eye view". I did miss the pic of the closeup on the bridge since it did not load; but I saw enough in the other pics to be totally overwhelmed. I can't say anything more; there just aren't any words in the English language.

Thanks,

Yeah, you're right! Duck's eye view would probably be more fitting! :D

All delivered once more. All my hand made gifts are beginning to fill up her house. I promised her a conventional gift next birthday. That will save her living space and maybe give me time to finish the big diorama. While I was painting figures, I added a couple for the first birthday gift, Simpatico. That was for her birthday four years ago.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/bob-letterman/25388-simpatico-finished-delivered-12-23-10

I had told her that I would build figures of myself and her when she was 4 years old, plus a 1962 Corvette, which I had at the time, with me in my Springfield, Mo. police uniform back then.

Here are a couple of photos of the figures.

PopGail02_zps865eaded.jpg

I converted the cop uniform from a resin MP figure.

PopGail_zps046d4a81.jpg

She had me put the Sayonara diorama next to the Simpatico dio in her study where she works from home.

Gail03a_zps331fd175.jpg

And, you can see the new additions to Simpatico in this photo.

933A_zpsc45e0ae1.jpg

OK, I'm gonna take the rest of the month off, then start back on Logistics right after New Years.

Just wonderful!! :notworthy :notworthy

Just one thing though.... on the brass plate, it says 51! that must be wrong, she don't look a day more than 31!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful project with us Bob :good:

//Mats

It was her 51st birthday. She doesn't look her age at all. She was born in December 1962. I came home from the army after a tour in Europe for four years in February, 1962. Got right to work! :D

Sayonara finished/Delivered Dec. 12th, 2013

Photos do not do this diorama justice, nor does Poppy's description do his sacrifice justice. He not only invested the money and considerable time to create this work of art, but he loaded it into his vehicle, traveled 300 miles after a snowstorm, delivered it to my house, helped set it up, and paid for 2 days in a hotel to do so. And all the while, telling me how lucky he was to have me for a daughter. And...he's 72 years old.

I need to also mention the considerable sacrifice of money and time my mom (Susan) made. She spent a lot of hours alone while Poppy worked on Sayonara and then stayed home alone so Poppy could bring Sayonara here. What a generous, gracious lady she is.

Just let that sink in.

I cannot imagine a more devoted, loving father, or mother.

I love you, Poppy and Mom. You have a very fortunate daughter. :)

Back