• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sayonara, Building a 1/35th Japanese Garden.

Sayonara finished/Delivered Dec. 12th, 2013

Each of Your work Bob is a unique work of art! Truly A Masterpiece!!! :notworthy

All the best!!! :drinks
Dusan.

Photos do not do this diorama justice, nor does Poppy's description do his sacrifice justice. He not only invested the money and considerable time to create this work of art, but he loaded it into his vehicle, traveled 300 miles after a snowstorm, delivered it to my house, helped set it up, and paid for 2 days in a hotel to do so. And all the while, telling me how lucky he was to have me for a daughter. And...he's 72 years old.

I need to also mention the considerable sacrifice of money and time my mom (Susan) made. She spent a lot of hours alone while Poppy worked on Sayonara and then stayed home alone so Poppy could bring Sayonara here. What a generous, gracious lady she is.

Just let that sink in.

I cannot imagine a more devoted, loving father, or mother.

I love you, Poppy and Mom. You have a very fortunate daughter. :)

Thanks Sweetheart,

That was really nice.

We both love you too!

Pop

Awesome results from a true Master :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Congrats Bob,

Randy

Thanks Randy,

I know one thing. I sure as hell don't think I could do what you do with metal!

Bob

Each of Your work Bob is a unique work of art! Truly A Masterpiece!!! :notworthy

All the best!!! :drinks
Dusan.

Thanks Dusan, I appreciate your words.

Bob

Just outstanding work! It is like watching magic. So cool you can share with a loved one. I'm glad your sharing it all with us too. (y)

Just outstanding work! It is like watching magic. So cool you can share with a loved one. I'm glad your sharing it all with us too. (y)

Thanks Jeff,

No magic, just a lot of hard work!

MA is really great for her. Since they are unique gifts, she loves to watch them come alive on the website. We live about 300 miles apart, (We're trying to remedy that but no luck selling our house so far, thanks to the still miserable market), but through the forum Gail and her friends can watch them being built. Until four years ago, she was never exposed to modeling. She is amazed at the talent on modelers alliance!

Apologies ..... disagree, in a very respectful way of course B)

The talent, skill, art with materials and tools is, of course, undeniable as everyone said. You have proven that over and over again and then some. The dimension that takes this piece of work to the highest level is the purpose, the sacrifice, the love for your daughter and I am willing to bet my last dollar that your biggest reward was to see the reaction when the gift was unwrapped.

:notworthy

Incredible modeling Bob,
these large masterpieces never cease to amaze me.

dedication,skill & a great eye!

Ian.

Incredible modeling Bob,
these large masterpieces never cease to amaze me.

dedication,skill & a great eye!

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

Now kudos back at you! Your work never ceases to amaze me either!

Bob

Apologies ..... disagree, in a very respectful way of course B)

The talent, skill, art with materials and tools is, of course, undeniable as everyone said. You have proven that over and over again and then some. The dimension that takes this piece of work to the highest level is the purpose, the sacrifice, the love for your daughter and I am willing to bet my last dollar that your biggest reward was to see the reaction when the gift was unwrapped.

:notworthy

Thanks Laurence,

Well, as I say a lot, just imagine that I've been modeling since 1945, when my father came home from WW II in the Pacific.The first thing he did was buy me a model and I've been hooked ever since. With more than 68 years of experience, if your skills weren't above average, what a waste of time that would have been!

I admit that my daughter's interest is heavy duty motivation on these things! And yes, the look on her face when I deliver them is what fathers love most!

Bob

Just gorgeous Bob! :)

Tim

Thanks Tim, I appreciate that!

Bob

I went to Springfield, Missouri last weekend to visit my daughter Gail. While there, we went to a Japanese Garden. I had seen it years ago, but it has been changed a lot and I took a lot of photos. When I got home and processed them, I noticed something distinctly familiar about the lakes. To be precise, the color of the lake water. I pulled up the photos of Sayonara's lake and it was a perfect match. The only difference is the reflection of the center right tree, which is brown, lending it's color to the water. However, if you look to the left, the natural color is the same.

Over the years, I have seen so many dioramas with brown or blue water. If it is in the Caribbean or the Gulf of Mexico coast, it can be blue, even marina blue. However, in my life, I always noticed that river and lake water are almost always a dirty green color. To achieve that color, I have always used Humbrol Khaki and French Artillery Green, cloud painting with an airbrush. Then I give it a lot of hand painted coats of polyurethane clear gloss. As many as ten coats. I space them about an hour apart and that allows some very subtle wrinkling that appears, when dry as slight ripples.

Here is first, the real thing I took over the weekend, That Moon Bridge in the background is killer!

Gdn_lake_07_copy_zpsncfoirrk.jpg

Then, the lake water in the Sayonara diorama. You can be the judge as to the nearness of color.

GruverHana06_zpsxkfglqf8.jpg

Bob

Looks perfect Bob!

I try to always keep things like that in mind:

Water is not always blue.
Wood is not always brown.
Grass is not always green.
Metal is not always silver.
Tires are not always black.

etc, etc...

Tom

Sayonara update Oct. 13th, 2015

Bob, I'd say you nailed it spot on! I also noticed the same thing about water in rivers, creeks and lakes; especially while flying over them on the way to somewhere else.

Someday, I'll put some of this knowledge to work when I decide to finally do some kind of diorama...

I know we probably saw this before but didn't comment, say it now...NAILED IT! :notworthy

Bob,

Remember when they used to call these "miniatures?" Of course, that was back before you got involved.
I always enjoy your thematic imagination. No matter what the subject, it's a classic. Thanks.
Keep those wheels turning.

Looks perfect Bob!

I try to always keep things like that in mind:

Water is not always blue.
Wood is not always brown.
Grass is not always green.
Metal is not always silver.
Tires are not always black.

etc, etc...

Tom

Thanks Tom, those are good, but there are a lot more commandments in the modeling universe than those! :D

Bob

Bob, I'd say you nailed it spot on! I also noticed the same thing about water in rivers, creeks and lakes; especially while flying over them on the way to somewhere else.

Someday, I'll put some of this knowledge to work when I decide to finally do some kind of diorama...

Thanks Duke!

Bob

Looks like a match to me.

(y)

Thanks Terry,

Bob

Bob,

Remember when they used to call these "miniatures?" Of course, that was back before you got involved.
I always enjoy your thematic imagination. No matter what the subject, it's a classic. Thanks.
Keep those wheels turning.

Thanks Randy, they don't turn quite as well as they once did! :D

Bob

Back