• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sayonara, Building a 1/35th Japanese Garden.

New birthday project. Japan dio. Updte Nov. 7 2013

All the superlatives were used up a long time back.... Just superb, simple as that.

Ian

New birthday project. Japan dio. Update 10/23/13

Yep this is very cool!!

Terry :notworthy

Thanks Terry, got a lot done since then.

Geez Bob, absolutely stunning!

Tim

Glad you like it Tim!

:notworthy

Fig trees, hell they grow like weeds around here. Nice touch adding a member of the family to the scene :popcorn

Really???? I thought fig trees were exotic or something? Do they just grow wild in the Carolinas?

Howard was our friend for 15 years, now parts of him can be Gail's friend for many more!

Fantastic!!!

Terry (y) :notworthy

Thanks once again Terry!

All the superlatives were used up a long time back.... Just superb, simple as that.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

New birthday project. Japan dio. Updte Nov. 7 2013

OK, I'm working like a crazy person, I don't have but about 4 weeks left to finish this. Since last time, I've done a lot, but some of it is very subtle and won't show a lot of difference. First, I "washed" the static grass. It eliminates that phony look like an Easter egg basket grass. Then after drying, I use a Humbrol flat yellow enamel to dry brush the grass. It makes it even more real. I just lightly drag the flat filbert brush across the top of the blades that are standing up. It's very subtle, but gives it a bit more realism. You can see the finished static grass here plus I am beginning to "plant" the flowers. These are dried miniature flowers. They used to sell them at Michaels, but they have recently been bought out and everything they sell there that I bought has been discontinued. What used to be one of my most important stops for diorama materials is now worthless to me. I guess they know what they are doing. I started with the purple flowers.

Purpleflowers_zps1232e9d4.jpg

Here are some more flowers, you can also see the effect of the processing of the static grass.

Purplebluff_zpsf584a75f.jpg

One more for good measure.

purpleground_zps89654691.jpg

As you can see, I bought a lot of the dried plants when they were available. Got a lot of work to do with the flowers.

Flowers_zpse324fccf.jpg

Drilled the holes to mount the red gate that straddles the path. Also note I have painted the base coat on the lake. I used to use Humbrol Khaki, (Matt 26), I discovered I was out of it, so, I mixed Khaki drab, (159) with Matt 33, flat black 50-50. It's exactly the same color. Later that will go through several treatments and hopefully, look like real water in a lake.

RedGate_zps14e24c10.jpg

I began chopping up Howard, (Previous post), then I began drilling holes and inserting this dried vegetation material that comes from Holland. I bought a lot of this stuff back in 2000, and have since lost their address. Really cool stuff!

tantree_zps0a4e4e35.jpg

Here are the branches before being attached to the tree.

Holland_zpsc7e9d25d.jpg

Once built, then I drill a hole the same size ad the trunk made from Howard, paint the entire tree flat black. Next, I will turn it into a bonsai using a pair of scissors. Then, using spray glue, (3M), I will spray each section and dip it into green dyed cork, which simulates leaves. (That will be in the next post. I'll also dry brush the black trunk and branches with Humbrol matt 72, Khaki Drill. It gives the tree that natural look of a tannish black color. Here is the untrimmed black tree.

BlackTree_zps1093143b.jpg

I am also making a tedious evergreen tree using a real tree branch and some green dyed feather-like material.

evergreen_zps4299d4b5.jpg

Here is the material. I drill tiny holes in the branch, insert the material and superglue them in. Later, I will give it a matt yellow dry brushing for realism.

evergreenbranches_zps7bb0a1dd.jpg

I also added some stairs on either side of the bridge entrance. A common practice on these steep moon bridges.

Bridgestairs_zps587ed4eb.jpg

I'll start weathering and trim painting the bridge shortly.

Finally, an overall shot from the left and then from the right.

Overallpainted_zps867777a1~0.jpg

Overallright02_zps88823cae.jpg

Till next time.

New birthday project. Japan dio. Updt Nov.10 2013

Hi Bob, You've made alot of progress (y) (y) (y) (y)

Grass ans rock coloring is looking great!!!!

That tree branch material is available at www.sceneryexpress.com They call it 'Super Tree'

Randy

Wow Bob it´s really starting to blend together! love the look of the different materials mixed here (y)
the grass looks amazing, i must give that a try next time i do static grass, how do you apply the wash? just brushing it over the grass or?
Looking forward to your next update :popcorn
//Mats

Hi Bob, You've made alot of progress (y) (y) (y) (y)

Grass ans rock coloring is looking great!!!!

That tree branch material is available at www.sceneryexpress.com They call it 'Super Tree'

Randy

Thanks Randy,

Wow, and thanks for the link to sceneryexpress. That will come in handy in the future! Super Tree, I never heard of a name for that.

BTW, it's great to have you on our forum!!

Wow Bob it´s really starting to blend together! love the look of the different materials mixed here (y)
the grass looks amazing, i must give that a try next time i do static grass, how do you apply the wash? just brushing it over the grass or?
Looking forward to your next update :popcorn
//Mats

Thanks Mats,

I guess I forgot to mention that. I use an old glass bottle, like a pickle jar, etc. I squeeze about 2 inches of raw umber into it, then I pour about a half cup of rectified turpentine and mix well. It is thinner than my usual wash mix. If you painted it on a white cardboard, it would have a light brown transparent appearance. I then use a large artist's brush, you could actually use a 1/2 inch paintbrush, dip it in the mixture and place it on the grass. It will spread through capillary action. I usually do an area of maybe 12 square inches at a time, then the old faithful T-Shirt to blot, (Dab), it dry. All it does is slightly darken it enough to loose that phony bright green appearance. Just a personal thing with me, but every time I see a diorama using static grass out of the package, it has always reminded me of the Easter egg basket grass when I was a kid.

After drying overnight, it is ready to dry brush with the light matt yellow such as Humbrol 99, matt lemon. Pull some of the pigments that have settled to the bottom of the tin, place on a pallet and using a flat filbert brush, (See the tutorial on simulating various types of wood, the first photograph is of filberts), dip into the paint and then wipe the brush once between thumb and forefinger, and very lightly drag the brush over the grass. You should not be able to see the yellow color, just a slight lightening of the grass.

Fantastic work as always Bob! (y) :notworthy

The dried plants that you used on Howard are known as 'Zeeschuim' in the Netherlands.The Latin name is Teloxys Aristata ,maybe you guys in the States can get the seeds in a specialized seeds store.
If you want to safe some money you can even grow your own zeeschuim;

Zeeschuim_2.jpg

Zeeschuim_3.jpg

Still have some in my stash,it's great stuff!

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks Ron, that's good to know. It is great stuff. I have used a lot of it in the blog I am about to post.

Bob

Been planting trees, shrubs and flowers all day long! I took these photos after knocking off for dinner tonight. Most will still get a wash, just as the static grass, to eliminate that phony appearance. You can still get an idea where it is all going though in these photos.

Courtyard03_zpsdc0f5fbb.jpg

A bit blurred, but I stuck it in anyway.

courtyardflowers_zpsd5bac015-1.jpg

The bluff with bridge.

blurflowers_zps2557120e.jpg

The bluff without bridge.

Redgate_zps333b2eb5.jpg

Another view.

Waterfallshrubs_zps94f9312e.jpg

The Gazebo with bonsai.

[
Gazeboshrubs_zpsbe258165.jpg

Another view.

RedGate_zps14e24c10.jpg

Courtyard.

bonsai_zpsec6e7209.jpg

Even without the wash and some more weathering on the courtyard, this photo still looks convincing.

Courtyard02_zpsccef4751.jpg

Coming down to the wire.

New birthday project. Japan dio. Updt Nov.13 2013

What can I say that hasent been said. Magnificent (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

What can I say that hasent been said. Magnificent (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Thanks Moon Pup and James!

I'll have another post soon. The diorama is just about finished, just some touch up and work on the base.

Looks great! (y) (y) (y) (y)
What you have planned for the water?
//Mats

Looks great! (y) (y) (y) (y)
What you have planned for the water?
//Mats

It will be still water except for near the waterfall. I use a base coat of Humbrol French Artillery Green, Matt 179, then after drying, I "Cloud paint" the surface using Humbrol Matt 26, (Khaki). When that is dry, I will paint in the illusion of lily pad stems near the cat tails. Then the whole lake gets two coats of polyurethane clear gloss. After drying, I use Humbrol clear gloss, (#35) to create ripples in various areas, much like I did with the canal water in Legacies below.

legacies212_zps5dd31a89~0.jpg

(y)
So great to see that not everyone uses the ready made products :good:
//Mats

Well, finally finished it, even on time for Gail's birthday on Sunday the 8th, however, the snow storms in Missouri forced a delay in my visit. I'll be delivering it on Monday, December the 9th.

I did have to move right along. I had intended to do an sbs on converting the figures, especially the Officer in the Ike Jacket to Major Gruver, but didn't get any in progress photos so, I'll just start with some pics. I used epoxy putty to convert him, plus a head that kinda resembled Brando and a service cap from a resin figure. I made her wedding hat from lead foil trimmed with miniature flowers and fine wire for the needles. See below.

B7dRZuEGkKGrHqIOKj4Eyb58JqBM0OJuJgIQ_3_zps92b9abad~1.jpg

[
3514_zps8640b48d~1.jpg

AAAfirstImage_zps202c6ac8.jpg

The sign hanging from the gate entrance has a secret message in Japanese that Only Gail and I know. Of course if you speak Japanese, you will also be in on the secret!

statue_zps82931c45.jpg

A worms eye view of the bridge.

AAAfirstImage_zps202c6ac8.jpg

Cat Tails, Cat Tails, Cat Tails. These are Tech Star photo-etch brass.

Cattails03_zps320dec28.jpg

A worm's eye view of the gate.

gatewormview_zpsd3cd7074.jpg

An overall shot from the right.

overall04_zps16b33f3e.jpg

another from the left.

overall03_zpsa006bce3.jpg

The Red Gate and bluff.

redgate_zpseebe93f3.jpg

The "Married" Rocks in the lake.

Rocks02_zps911dbf4c.jpg

A shot of the lake water near the bridge.

Bridgeclose_zps5cefae49.jpg

The right side lawn w/Bonsai

Rightyard_zpsb68ac8eb.jpg

The lake path.

path_zps39ef20f0.jpg

The Gazebo and Bonsai tree.

Gazebo101_zps2632de77.jpg

lead foil Lilly Pads.

Lillypads_zpsf7b0ca60.jpg

Closeup of Cat Tails.

cattails_zpsd8f29b59.jpg

Long shot of the bridge.

Bridgelongshot_zpsf2c6a713~0.jpg

The Samurai statue. Many of the statues I saw in Japan had a rusted metal base such as this one.

Gate101_zps40019e6f.jpg

Left side of Gate Yard w/Bonsai and other plants/flowers.

leftlawn_zps7e19d305.jpg

The waterfall. I made it using clear caulking spread on wax paper and detailed with toothpicks. The foam is epoxy putty also detailed with toothpicks.

Waterfall_zpsaa2d4a23.jpg

A closeup of the figures.

GruverHana03_zps33989f17.jpg

Overall from the left.

Overall02_zps0d69f8dc.jpg

Closeup of the brass plates.

plates_zps936b5408.jpg

Long shot from the right side.

overall01_zps5e5bf2c6.jpg

The bridge and waterfall.

GruverHana02_zps1a28d0a1.jpg

When I deliver it, I'll take some pics of her and it in it's new home and post when I return. I already told her, next year I'll buy her a more conventional gift. That way I can work all year on Logistics and maybe, just maybe finish the damned thing!

Outstanding work and a real joy to watch this come to life! :notworthy

Greetings,Ron.

Sayonara Diorama finished Dec. 7th, 2013

Fantastic work Bob! It has been great to watch this amazing dio progress from concept to completion. Thank you for sharing.

Back