• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sailing Ships

TomN

Just curious, has anyone here built one of the big sailing ship models?

Like Revell's USS Constitution, Cutty Sark or Hellers HMS Victory?

I've got the Constitution in the stash, but looking at some build logs
it looks like it would take about 5 years (at my pace) and tons of scratchbuilding
and aftermarket.

But it looks like fun and are beautiful when finished.

Tom

Tom I made a feeble attempt at the Cutty Sark in my youth. I got very close to finishing the rigging but never did finish. It sat at my Mom's house while I was in the USAF and when I got out, found that all the youngsters had gotten a hold of it and pretty much demolished it. I did the yacht America when I was even younger and got some polaroids of it somewhere. But back then, I could have most any kit built within a day or two, maybe longer if I painted it :rotf

I couldn't imagine doing one these days, not unless I'm retired.

The only sailing ship I have built was my Revell Viking ship a few months back for the oob campaign. I also have the big Constitution kit in my stask but have been saving it for a long rainy day lol.

Tom I made a feeble attempt at the Cutty Sark in my youth. I got very close to finishing the rigging but never did finish. It sat at my Mom's house while I was in the USAF and when I got out, found that all the youngsters had gotten a hold of it and pretty much demolished it. I did the yacht America when I was even younger and got some polaroids of it somewhere. But back then, I could have most any kit built within a day or two, maybe longer if I painted it :rotf

I couldn't imagine doing one these days, not unless I'm retired.

Hey Moon,

I think that's a very familiar story, I know I've tried to build the Constitution at least twice,
and I remember walking to town and carrying that huge Cutty Sark box home when I was in
grade school...a neighbor had it built, it was all trashed, but I remember being fascinated by
the rigging.

I mentioned it to my wife and for once she said NO!!! :woohoo: "You have to finish some of the
ones you've started."

I'm thinking too, it sounds like a good retirement project.

Tom

Back