• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sad News about Hippy Ed

I need to look through some of Ed's postings, I seem to recall him mentioning the group his dad flew with, and see if the kit version will work. I have a bunch of AM decals but I'm not sure if the kit will work if he flew an earlier version.

Here's that thread Gary

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/modelers-lounge/150097-does-family-history-factor-in-with-your-modeling

I ask this because I started digging up my family tree back in NOV 1996 and have been led back to the model bench as a result of learning about a Great uncle of mine named Charles "Chuck" David Schoonover born in SEPT 1933 in Indiana & died 16 JAN 1966 off the coast of So. Vietnam. Come to find out, he was a Naval Aviator flying the North American RA-5C Vigilante BuNo: 149312 AC 901 assigned to RVAH-9 "Hoot Owls" aboard the USS Ranger (CVA-61) Ok, I never heard of the Vigilante before then so, I dug deeper into his career & found out he flew Recon Missions & flew Unarmed & unafraid! (y) I traced his career & the aircraft he had flown and learned alot about him since I never knew him. "My Theme Builds" thread is where I'll be posting pics of my builds of family members whom served in the Military.
The more I dig, the more I find. Many ancestors served in WWII and some were in Pearl Harbor on 7 DEC 1941. aboard the Arizona, The Oklahoma, and another was on the USS Honolulu CL-48 whom stayed aboard her throughout the war!
Right now I am researching a cousin named Herbert Charles Shively born in Chicago,IL in I believe MAR 1913 [and his twin brother Howard Burton Shively] Both enlisted in the US Navy and became Naval Aviators. Herbert flew PBY-5A Catalinas with VP-53 in JAN 1944 Earned the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for rescuing a Lt. R.C.Lehnert USMC of VMF-422 on 27 JAN 1944. I'm starting work on his aircraft [BuNo: 04413] which I'm looking for info on...

To Ed :drinks

Folks I do not know if this is confirmation or not. Was chatting with another old friend and Ed apparently had a heart attack and just never recovered. Deeply saddened by this.

Joe

I was wondering why He hadn't been on the Forum lately, I just figured His internet was messed up, I think He or His Uncle Charles, had something to do with the VAH-5 the Savage Sons of Sanford! hence the patch He used.

I don't know what to say.....nothing I can come up with seems to do justice.

I encountered Hippy over at MBI. My first impression, "Now there's a quack." Once I got beyond first impressions (I try to give everyone a fair shake), he was always encouraging and passionate about everything he does, from modeling, genealogy, to caring for family. He ultimately led me here after I managed to get a hold of him following nearly a year break in modeling. He always had some kind of interesting story or unbelievable tale to tell. Passionate...opinions be damned, he was going to do it his way. He's proof that being a little off-kilter isn't always a bad thing.

Ultimately I haven't known him long.....but somehow he has still made a profound impact. I'm sitting here feeling completely gutted...for someone I have never met face to face.

Look for an RA-5C tribute to come. Whenever I see those jets in pics, it's always "Hey, there's Hippy's bird!" I know I won't be able to do it justice...but for me it will still be an appropriate memory.

Fair winds & following seas mate. We'll have to catch up, have a pint (or three) and tell some tall tales someday on the other side.

:salute

h9c2402c.jpg

I don't know what to say.....nothing I can come up with seems to do justice.

I encountered Hippy over at MBI. My first impression, "Now there's a quack." Once I got beyond first impressions (I try to give everyone a fair shake), he was always encouraging and passionate about everything he does, from modeling, genealogy, to caring for family. He ultimately led me here after I managed to get a hold of him following nearly a year break in modeling. He always had some kind of interesting story or unbelievable tale to tell. Passionate...opinions be damned, he was going to do it his way. He's proof that being a little off-kilter isn't always a bad thing.

Ultimately I haven't known him long.....but somehow he has still made a profound impact. I'm sitting here feeling completely gutted...for someone I have never met face to face.

Look for an RA-5C tribute to come. Whenever I see those jets in pics, it's always "Hey, there's Hippy's bird!" I know I won't be able to do it justice...but for me it will still be an appropriate memory.

Fair winds & following seas mate. We'll have to catch up, have a pint (or three) and tell some tall tales someday on the other side.

I myself will be looking for an RA-5C model to build for a memorial build to him. I don't know that I'll be able to find one with his uncle's squadron markings, but I'll build one just the same.

Thanks Bob, I do have some RVAH-9 decals but they are from a tour on Constellation but the tail number will help as I have several references on the RA-5C

This is shocking and sad news, I hope he did not suffer and also hope his family is coping with their loss. :(

Matrixone

I first 'met' Ed over at 'What If Modelers' many years back. One of the most passionate and supportive modellers you could wish to meet, which of course he brought with him here to MA.

He will indeed, be missed greatly.

Ian.

I myself will be looking for an RA-5C model to build for a memorial build to him. I don't know that I'll be able to find one with his uncle's squadron markings, but I'll build one just the same.

I started off this morning going to get in on the bench ... then I heard the news ... I know Ed would want Me to get to it but I don't feel like touching Styrene today. I have already ordered one a Trumpy 1/48 ... I'll find decals soon as it gets here ... That may help Me ... :(

To You Ed ... :drinks :pilot

I never had the chance to meet Ed in person nor talk to him on here on MA, but I still wish he rest in peace.
My prayers are with his loved ones left behind and may God give them comfort and strength to get through this time of grief and loss!

Tim

I started off this morning going to get in on the bench ... then I heard the news ... I know Ed would want Me to get to it but I don't feel like touching Styrene today. I have already ordered one a Trumpy 1/48 ... I'll find decals soon as it gets here ... That may help Me ... :(

Gerry, see if you can order me a 1/72 scale one and I'll send payment when it comes in. If you can find one with the right decals for his Uncle's plane, or an aftermarket set with those markings; that's just cream and would be welcome in my order.

Yhanks Gerry! And I for one feel the opposite; I want to get in and really go to town on my models and get something finished since I know Ed won't be able to finish anything anymore.

Gerry, see if you can order me a 1/72 scale one and I'll send payment when it comes in. If you can find one with the right decals for his Uncle's plane, or an aftermarket set with those markings; that's just cream and would be welcome in my order.

Yhanks Gerry! And I for one feel the opposite; I want to get in and really go to town on my models and get something finished since I know Ed won't be able to finish anything anymore.

You got it Mark ... I'll see what I can pull off ... on the decals sometimes We cut & paste, I have a model RR friend who is really good at it, I still have trouble getting them straight ... I'm headed back to the bench now, I just lost the wind out of my sails for a bit ... :captain :pilot

You guys know that Ed would have taken the Bat to you all for using him as an excuse not to build right :bat :bat :bat :bat :bat :bat :bat

Back