• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell's 1/50th Viking Ship

centaur567

ha7e8a81_2019-03-20.JPG

I bought this because it is close to 1/48th scale of my other models. The hull and deck are together and painted dark brown. Plan to highlight the wood grain with a lighter brown. For the thing at the top of the mast that lowers the sail I haven't decided if it should be iron or brass. This only my fourth boat model in recent times. Gary S.

h46c982e.JPG

Weathered the sail with a brown oil wash. Used Tamiya tape and used brown sharpie to color. Applied using a basket weave technique.

h3e3fa6b.JPG

The hull was spray painted dark brown and dry brushed with oils paints.

h523dd9e.JPG

h8e5b38c.JPG

The mast heads were painted gold with red eye.

h3e8a108.JPG

hd1aabfb.JPG

h23ce6e5.JPG

My first and probably my last rigging of a sail.

h2f50818.JPG

h458bdb7.JPG

The shields were finally installed. Some painted, some decaled. If you see a U-Tube video where the guy suggest using a 1/8th inch punch for the center of the shield decals, don't do it. Nothing but heart ache. From my research, the shields were made from woods like poplar, which is a light color. Thanks for looking, Gary S.

h6148e27.JPG

hd63d26f.JPG

hd5319a2.JPG

h35e348a.JPG

h097bc4f.JPG

hacfcd20.JPG

Thanks, Sherman. Well it's done. Only model completed this calendar year. Quite a learning experience. :skipper Gary S.

I think that's cool Gary, sure I'll move it to the campaign. Keep a look out for other campaigns, don't generally allow completed works but that Ship Builders is a special group and you did share the WIP with us.

Back