• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell's 1/48th AH-64A Apache

centaur567

100_7893.JPG
100_7903.JPG

This is the third Apache by Revell that I've built. The first one, in 1/48th scale, was built just when Desert Storm was first starting and was painted in desert color (which never happened for real that I know of). I gave it to my son in law a while ago. The second one was in 1/32nd scale and was built to compete in the 1996 Space Coast & IPMS Region 11 Convention contest and it won Best of Show. It was sold to Disney as a prop for one of their TV shows. I really put a lot on work into that model which this kit will not get and will be mostly OOB. Gary S.

100_7908.JPG
So I went to Home Depot and bought a can of their cheap ($2.68) can of flat black primer and sprayed the main rotor. tail rotor, cockpit including the instrument panels, gun, Hellfire rockets and the PIA engine nacelles. Then when that dried, they were all dry brushed with white oils. Gary S.

100_7953.JPG
100_7954.JPG
100_7955.JPG

A lot of beating to fit and painting to match done. The engine nacelles required a great amount of attention. But it turns out ok in the end. Couldn't imagine following the instructions and attaching the main rotor so early on in the build and then clean up the gaps. Still have a lot of work to do. I hope to make a disco light, add cable cutters and a flare/chaff box on the tail boom.

100_8040.JPG
100_8042.JPG
100_8043.JPG
100_8044.JPG
100_8045.JPG
100_8055.JPG

017.jpg

Between injuring my back and closing down and moving out of our small vacation home in FL there was a delay in bench and computer time.
The first color I used was out of a can called hunt club green and the color wasn't right. So after decanting the spray can, I mixed some flat black and resprayed with my airbrush and it came out much better. Then it was time for the decals. While scouring thru my stash of decals I found the eagle from the F-18F kit and though it would look great on the Apache used in the 101st Airbourne Division. Then I made a Screaming Eagles patch decal for the tail fin. I built an Apache kit a long time ago when Desert Storm was just getting started and painted it in sand colors and named it Geronimo with feathers on the upper rotor pylon, which I have since given to my son in law. I decided to build this kit OOB except for the sensors on top of the engine cowling. I can always add more stuff later, I just was to get it done. Thanks for looking, Gary S.

100_8058.JPG

This seems to be taking forever to finish, but I finally did the dark wash and drybrush white oils and the wheels are on. The hellfire missiles are on their racks but not installed yet and the gun is installed. I will probably need to remove the canopy after the flat coat is done. In my hast, I forgot to glue in the bracker panel inside the lt. upper canopy. Hopefully, I'll just need to remove the rear canopy door. Gary S.

Back