• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell H-102:600 Nakajima Ki-49 Donryu

Sweet!

I hear you regarding building over collecting. I've been buying a bunch of OOP kits lately, latest was a Wolfman that I paid way too much for. It was listed with box grading, I had it glued together within 12 hours hours of receiving it.

Collect books, models are made to be put together.

A guy in the club had one of these for show and tell this past Tuesday. Get going, Warren

Thanks guys and thanks Christian! I've been looking at that site a bit. Decided I'm going to leave the rivets on, even though they are out of scale (I really don't want to re-scribe this). I am having trouble deciding what the little openings are on the trailing edges of the nacelles? Are they some sort of exhausts, vents??? anyone know?? Might have to post it on Arawasi to find out.

You can see them on these two pics.

h0e1c18c.jpg

h290d2ff.jpg

Anyway, here's the update I should have had last weekend. The family have been sick all week so progress has stalled a bit.

I made an update to the exhausts and drilled them out, then put a piece of tubing behind.

h79d1c23.jpg

h3a15f43.jpg

Then I added some ribbing and detail to the wheel wells with styrene and spares

h5773311.jpg

h9b20727.jpg

Then began the long, arduous process of masking this tiny greenhouse nightmare!

h5f2d247.jpg

More to come!

Nice progress Warren. (y) (y)

My guess is that those are landing gear indicators. I've seen them on other aircraft though I can't remember which ones at the moment.

Good question Warren . I have no idea but like Dave said, they are in a good place to indicate the status of the gear , although they stike me as over kill ( size wise )

Good detail on the gear bay (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

So, I had forgotten about this kit and did a bit of work today! Should be able to finish before the deadline with just over a month left.

FINALLY finished the masking! Why I torture myself with these little kits with extensive greenhouses I don't know! :bang head

hc23ce3f.jpg

h6c360b9.jpg

There's more underneath too!

And almost have the nacelles ready to attach, just need to paint the insides Aotake!

h4bb71ce.jpg

Cause you like windows ? Looking good Warren (y)

If only they had figured out how to make decent exhaust for these kits :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys!

Camo!!

I was playing around with a couple ways to do the camo on this thing!

First try, I used some MicroMask. Painted the 1st coat Japanese green , applied the MicroMask and then grey/green

h6875368.jpg

Pulled that off after it dried and it was a disaster!

ha1b2806.jpg

So, painted it green this time and then tried another approach!

h9fd22b2.jpg

Some adhesive putty (or blue tack)

hc413552.jpg

tried both colours!

h5a49688.jpg

This one worked better, but still wasn't quite the desired effect i was looking for. You can see on the right side of the wing that I tried just airbrushing some spots free hand too.

h33b9c03.jpg

I painted the wheel wells aotake and then covered them with some scraps from a foam filter

h6b6f0bc.jpg

Painted the plane overall grey/green and then a little pre-shading

h3d8c18d.jpg

covered the areas for the Hinomarus with some cardboard

h9b4bcac.jpg

I decided to just airbrush the spots on for now, I don't think it turned out too bad. Masked off the nose and nacelles for the anti glare too.

h86f0551.jpg

h920d6e1.jpg

I need to mask off the yellow ID stripes and paint them, then I can add a gloss coat and decals. This will be a Ki-49-II from the 2nd Chutai, 7th Sentai, New Guinea, 1944

h6f6c630.jpg

I found these designations on another site

JAAF
Kokugun = Air Army
Hikoshidan = Air Division
Hikodan = Air Brigade
Sentai = Air Group
Chutai = Squadron or Company
Shotai = Flight or Section (3-4 aircraft)

IJNAF
Kokutai = Air Group
Hikotai = Squadron
Buntai = Group (two Buntai per Hikotai)
Chutai = Flying group of 3+ Kutai
Shotai = 1-3 Kutai
Kutai = Division or Flight (4 aircraft)

Shinbutai (I've also seen Tokubetsu Kogekitai, or Tokkotai for short), is the designation for Special Attack (Kamikaze) units.

Great progress, Warren. By the way, that UHU tack won't work for the Ki 49. It is meant for the He 219. :rotf

Thanks Chris and Luiz! I think I will need to invest in an airbrush with a finer tip! If this was 1/48, it probably would have looked better.

Great progress, Warren. By the way, that UHU tack won't work for the Ki 49. It is meant for the He 219. :rotf

Ha! good one Paul!

Looking good Warren, (y) Spotted finishes like that are my nemesis, I have a couple of kits that have been waiting years for me to master the technique and a paint mule that looks like it has pox from all the practice attempts !

Back