• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Refinished Monogram Me109E from 1965

jeaton01

Here's one I originally built in 1965 which was much the worse for wear. I am glad I have rescued it, but there are mixed feelings. The resin interior was difficult to fit and changed the character of the build, in retrospect it might have been better to go back with the original interior. The vac canopy is a big improvement over the thick kit part, but once again it separates it from the old days. I'll have to let my thoughts settle on all that.

The 1965 Monogram instructions called for a solid green finish and I went with RLM 71 for that, and the decals are part original and part aftermarket where the kit decals from my decal stash were too far gone. They are the markings the kit artwork called for. I have read there is some small support for a few 109E's painted solid green, but I'm sure the Experten will excoriate me for such a statement. In an effort at originality, I had swapped the decals with a Monogram FW-190 I was building at the same time in 1965 but chose to go with the original kit markings this time. I added Uschi fine thread for the antenna and replaced the lost antenna masts with wire and plastic card.

Here's the original box art. from the Monogram Classics reissue.
0202me109.jpg

Here's the kit before rework, with another I built with my granddaughter Yasemin a few years ago.

0081me109.jpg

Here it is rekitted:

0042me109.jpg

And here is the restored/refinished model.

0092me109.jpg

0162me109.jpg

0142me109.jpg

0182me109.jpg

That's awesome John! I've redone a few of my old kits from my teen years but mine don't date back to the 60's.:oldguy:

Retro is cool!! Nice to see and old kit still around. Kinda like me. My first kit, in the mid 50's, was Aurora's Me-109 molded in dark red plastic,
Love this box art. Gary S. XLV MMXX
114954-10518.jpg

Thanks, Warren and Gary. I built all the Aurora biplanes but don't remember building the 109. I think I built the F-90 and I know I built the little B-36, I can still see it. I know my first plastic model was the Revell F-89, almost certainly in 1955. Before that it was stick and tissue but I wasn't very good at those (or the F-89, but at least the bones didn't show like with stick and tissue).

I remember building the Brueget 14 (as well as many others)... I thought it was a fantastic plane. Just picked one up a few weeks ago for $15.00. Hmmm.... $0.98 or $15.00... what was the better price?

Back