• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Re: Model Show Competition Etiquette

Since returning to the hobby four years ago I have yet to go to a show or enter anything in a 3/D contest. I know a guy that's been around for about 9-10 years but he keeps taking the same six or seven models plus three or four newly built. They are all Award Winners and many of these models have 6-10 ribbons each. My question is what is the etiquette as to this type of competing. Seems like a couple per model would be enough to me...But that's me. Any thoughts?

Do you mean he keeps entering the same 6 or 7 models in the same show, year after year?

Tom

Hmmm...well, frankly I wouldn't want to be "that" guy. People do notice...

I believe if the model wins an award at a particular show, it should be retired...bring something new next time.

My thoughts,
Tom

I would go up to him and say man that is a nice model, did'nt you have that one here last year? So what have you got new for this show? Then ask the judges what is the rules for past winners.

Joe

Thanks for the replies. IDK, I model because I love it. It's a fun hobby. I don't need a ribbon or a plaque to reinforce my desire to keep making models. I was just confused and I am glad to see that while it is not necessarily a taboo, it is seen as bad form.

I see all of you, even though we have never met in the flesh as a friend, not an adversary. :)

For our club, when we've held competitions in the past, we've stated that any model thats won at one of our shows, in a regional, or in a national isnt allowed to be entered again.

Generally accepted rule of thumb is to work up w/ models. Once its won at a local show, it doesnt go back to that show. Once its won at a regional, then it should only be shown at the Nationals, and once its won at a Nationals then its retired.

However, some shows specifically have categories for winners of regionals & nationals.

I think i would accidently knock his table over in passing :laugh:

Enter a model as many times as you want that year but next year ?? I would dis allow it. Bad form .

Can I ask which comps he is entering into are they local club, local area, or bigger shows ?

I believe that the gentleman in question is attending Regional IIRC Sanctioned Shows - His Rommel figure has more medals than the Actual Field Marshall had ..... Just sayin'.

We have at least one builder in the area that keeps bringing the same tank. It's been going on for several years now.
He's a pretty good builder , but I'm tired of seeing the same stupid old tank .
Those of us that know him would probably say he has no class ! :sick: I know I do !

Cheers, Christian B)

That sort of behavior is what keeps me from contest modeling. If you HAVE to win to be happy, well then I feel sorry for you. THAT guy knows who he is and I wouldn't want to be him.

That is really terrible how that truck axle just fell from the ceiling and landed on your builds. Such a shame and they being award winners and all. You may have to BUILD something now...

Our local IPMS rules are simply if a model was entered - win or loose, it may not enter the same competition again but it can enter other competitions just never the same one.

If I'm not mistaken, IPMS rules also state a model that places in a local show is ineligible for entry in any other local show. It then can only be entered at the Nationals.

My biggest peeve is folks who "finger frak" the vendors. I recently saw two guys take an hour literally go through all of the open kits a vendor had. No one else had a chance to look, and then the pair left without making any purchases. They were loudly deriding the vendor for his prices as they did.

WTF?

G

I think the Vendor has the right get redneck over such behavior.

Well I have to say I love to compete. I build to compete. I think it makes your skills sharper and makes you better. I don't view the other people in the contest as adversaries or enemies, but if they are better then I am I will see what I can learn. All that being said to bring the same models every year is to me bad form and this gentleman needs to confronted and told once is enough and to bring something new. As a judge if I see something that has been to one of our shows before I will overlook it and move to the next piece.

Terry B)

Back