• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pre War Germany Photos!

Kreighshoer

this morning i drew out one of my most precious and most loved books to look at the pics!

while looking through it i thought to myself why not share some of the pics!

the selection i made is very small and only very few from that book called "germany", first edition 1931, reprint from 1934! this is of particular interest since the editors retouched one pic with a swastika flag (not included in my selection) AND they included austrian cities in a photo book about germany!

i left the captions in the pics for you to identify the places!

[hide]the pics:

wartburg1.jpg

wartburg2.jpg

stadelhorn.jpg

the following two are czech republic nowadays:
schneekoppe.jpg

riesengebirge.jpg

rothenburg_ob_der_tauber.jpg

paderborn.jpg

oberharz.jpg

this pic from nuremberg is of particular interest since this place looks almost the same today as in the pic from the 1920s/30s - most lovely:
nuernberg.jpg

neuschwanstein of course:
neuschwanstein.jpg

the "au" suburb is city center today, the "deutsches museum" still the most spectacular technic museum in all of germany:
muenchen_au.jpg

kassel_wilhelmshoehe.jpg

i love this photo of the horkheim dam because of the progessive and modern design:
horkheim.jpg

drachenfels.jpg

Danzig.jpg

another photo i thoroughly love, the chile house in hamburg, destroyed in operation gomorrha! look at the spectacular architecture, cornered on the left, round shapes on the right:
Chilehaus.jpg

caub.jpg

badreichenhall.jpg

my mother was up there! a place i will never see in my life since i refuse to climb that far:
watzmanngrat.jpg

the proof that this book is the 1934 edition - below is the birthplace of hitler, braunau am inn! (austria!) if that is the most beautiful pic they could take from braunau i don't want to know what braunau looked and looks:
braunau.jpg
[/hide]

i hope you like the pics and if you want to see photos of some special place of your interest (maybe family history or the like) i may be able to scan, resize and upload it - if they covered that place in the book!

Thank you Laura, wouldn't you just love to be able to step into just one of those pictures and walk around, if only just as an observer. Just to see what's around the corner or the actual colors...

LAURA,

Awesome PIX !! :ro: :ro:

The Kassel House & the Chile House !! WoW ! Unbelievable Architecture ! To think I turned down a Scholarship to go to Germany & Study Architecture !( Bone Head !:blush: :sick: )

Very Cool Pix. Hey ... Swing by the House We can look at th Book & scrape some Plastic !! :D

I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas & A Very Healthy & Bountiful New Year !! (y) (y) :ro:

ERIK

Swing by the House We can look at th Book & scrape some Plastic

Erik, from Germany to the USA is a pretty long 'swing' :woohoo:

Laura, thanks for the scans. It must be excellent binding as I would be afraid to scan any of my books from that vintage.

Regards,

More Pre War Germany Photos!

i have been asked by several people to please share more pics ... still lots of photos aren't scanned and due to the book's security i will repeat scanning only one more time - tomorrow!

[hide]
Stettin.jpg

Bautzen.jpg

Berlin1~0.jpg

Berlin2.jpg

Beuthen.jpg

Bremen.jpg

Danzig~0.jpg

Gardelegen.jpg

Germaniawerft.jpg

Hamburg.jpg

Prenzlau.jpg

Rostock.jpg

Stargard.jpg

Stendal.jpg
[/hide]

Was that an outdoor mall??

The interior of Bremen town hall, wonder what scale those ships are...

Again Laura, thanks for those pictures. they are amazing glimpse in to the past.

This is the first quiet time I've had in several days to take a good look at these photos, most excellent! Thank you for sharing them! The photos are so crisp and clear! I am still wondering about the structure in the middle of the river and marveling at the fountain / water feature running down from the castle. Very cool!(y)

Very nice, thanks for posting these Laura. Man, those are some huge ship models hanging in the Bremen town hall.

Tim

third and last set of photos! still, the majority of photos aren't covered but like stated above i'll stop here for the sake of book integrity!

[hide]
ulmenermaar.jpg

allenstein.jpg

autobahn.jpg

bacharach.jpg

breslau.jpg

einbeck.jpg

this shot of frankfurt/oder is interesting since the photographer's location on the eastern shore of river oder is polish territory today:
frankfurtoder.jpg

goettingen.jpg

koenigsberg.jpg

lorch.jpg

magdeburg.jpg

marburg.jpg

monreal.jpg

rudelsburg.jpg

saarzechen.jpg
[/hide]

The Autobahn....Germany's gift to the world. It's a shame we can't get the Germans to teach the idiot drivers what "Slower Traffic Keep Right" means.

The Autobahn....Germany's gift to the world. It's a shame we can't get the Germans to teach the idiot drivers what "Slower Traffic Keep Right" means.

AMEN to that ! Preach on Brotha' ! Even when they have signs on th side of the Interstate ! :idonno

I just don't get it !

LAURA -

GREAT PIX ! Magdaburg Cathedral WoW ! Is that still standing ? The Town Halls are so Majestic !! Great Book !

ERIK

Back