• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pre War Germany Photos!

I am still wondering about the structure in the middle of the river

that's the pfalzgrafenstein castle and the river is the rhine! pfalzgrafenstein castle dominated and controlled ship traffic very effectively! ships could pass the castle from one side only - the side facing to the back in the picture, the right side of the rhine! the other side - facing to the viewer/left side of the rhine - was blocked by shelves!

GREAT PIX ! Magdeburg Cathedral WoW ! Is that still standing ?

sure! tilly's troops didn't manage to destroy the cathedral in the magdeburg sacking, the bomber command managed only a single direct hit and the communists didn't failed to destroy it either!

LAURA,

I guess you are no where near Magdaburg ? Is there any way you could take some Then & Now Pix ? Just curious . It would be cool to see, or any Then & Now pix that you've posted ?

Thanx again for Posting th Pix ! Great Stuff ! ..... Now .... I wonder if BoB Letterman would be up for a 1/35th scale rep. of th Magdeburg Cathedral ? :D :D (y)

ERIK

I am still wondering about the structure in the middle of the river

that's the pfalzgrafenstein castle and the river is the rhine! pfalzgrafenstein castle dominated and controlled ship traffic very effectively! ships could pass the castle from one side only - the side facing to the back in the picture, the right side of the rhine! the other side - facing to the viewer/left side of the rhine - was blocked by shelves!

First thing I thought of when I saw that picture is if they had issues with flooding, totally ignorant question but does the Rhine flood? Are they now flood controls in place to keep it from flooding (within reason).

erik - i'm far, far away from magdeburg! that's the dom nowadays: http://www.pointoo.de/Galerie/Magdeburg/Magdeburger-Dom-St-Mauritius-116313/

bob - the rhine still carries high water and floods areas after winters with lots of snow, but not as severe as in the past!

Wonderful pictures Laura

Ive had the pleasure of being to 2 of your photos

U Bahn at Fredrickstrasse although it looks a lot different now :(

The old crane in Danzig (Gdansk) and it looks the same :)

The Autobahn....Germany's gift to the world. It's a shame we can't get the Germans to teach the idiot drivers what "Slower Traffic Keep Right" means.

AMEN to that ! Preach on Brotha' ! Even when they have signs on th side of the Interstate ! :idonno

I just don't get it !

*loooooooooool* do you both think it's better here - in Germany - ? I tell ya, it's not... it just :( :eek:hmy: :sick: :silly: :side: :angry: :gogo :silly: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: - just take it as it is :)

Cool pics Laura - thanks for sharing - I found some places I know when I was a child and nowadays ... Cool.

bob - the rhine still carries high water and floods areas after winters with lots of snow, but not as severe as in the past!

We even had a whale in the Rhein some 40+ years ago :) probably disoriented but it swam a pretty way Rhein up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Dick_%28Rhine%29

The old crane in Danzig (Gdansk) and it looks the same

Yes, it does look the same. I was there last year when our family rented a beach cottage in Sztutowo (Stutthof) and took the train to Gdansk (Danzig).

Regards,

Did you take a trip out to Wessterplatte to see where the first shots were fired ?

I did it was quite awesome to think that,...I also went to Berlin to see where the last shots were fired too,..well in the European theatre that is,.....

Quite sad to think between those 2 places 60, or more, Million people lost their lives !

Did you take a trip out to Wessterplatte to see where the first shots were fired ?

Yes, I did and I also took a twenty minute walk form the beach bungalow to Stutthof Concentration Camp Museum. I did not bring along my wife or son for that.

Regards,

No I can imagine that,...

Ive been to the "big one"

and the one just outside of Berlin

Pretty grim but not as grim as Birkenau

Back