• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pearl Harbor - VS-6 SBD-3 Dauntless

Off to a great start. It is such a great kit. Only part to watch for is the rudder pedals are kind of annoying to install.

Haven't gotten too far with it yet. Just got the interior walls painted and starting to trim some -2 parts off the cockpit pieces to replace w/ the Eduard -3 bits for conversion. I don't have any major simraces this weekend, so with a bit of luck I can hopefully have most of the cockpit in place by the end of the weekend.

I just couldn't help compare the size difference compared to the RA-5C.

Underway again.

DSCF2084.JPG

Also watching/listening to a documentary in the background. :coolio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_gKYoM2kHc

Good Luck Chris ... I had such a time this summer, that I abandoned the U.S.S Arizona project ... :( Like you your a jet guy & I'm not a ship builder yet ... The Texas is still in my eye ... I'm declaring that You'll get-R-done ... with that box of goodies it must happen ... (y) :woohoo: :salute

Looks good Chris, new doc on Pearl this weekend on History (Pawn Stars) channel. Think I have it already recorded. Believe it goes into how Adm Kimmel and Gen Short were scapegoated.

Cockpit getting close. Fuselage is starting to come together now. Due to time constraints, I'm not going to be messing with the Eduard PE. I could probably spend 2 weeks on that stuff alone. :laugh:

DSCF2090.JPG

Unfortunately the finish date is midnight Dec 6 (should have been 11:59PM Dec 7) If it were me I would say build it as you really want. Be happy with how you built it and at this point don't worry about when as it looks like you have quite a bit yet to go.

So far so good!

Kinda felt like this kit really doesn't need it anyway. If it was something I thought would've bothered me, I would have. I'm content with the way it's shaping up so far though. At least with my meager abilities. :laugh:

Underway again.

DSCF2084.JPG

Also watching/listening to a documentary in the background. :coolio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_gKYoM2kHc[/quote It's funny how on a lot of Pearl Harbor documentaries have a flight of SBD's droping bombs. :eek:ldguy Gary

Forgot to take a pic last night, but I'm at the point of installing canopies and applying paint. And the tedious task of masking the canopies is already complete. It just got too late to paint last night. It looks like I'm likely going to miss it by a day. Ah well, ce la vie. We'll see if I can get it to decal state by tomorrow night. I don't currently have any other plans after work the next couple nights, so hopefully I can continue the headway.

And we have pre-shade. I'm not going to be doing a very heavy weathering as the -3 was a fairly new aircraft at the time of Pearl. Also during peacetime operations, birds seem to not get as dirty as crews have more time to keep them cleaner.

DSCF2091.JPG

DSCF2093.JPG

Back