• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Painting and Weathering tracks.

Gremlin

Hi everyone. I was just wondering how you all attack your tracks (ie, prime, colour ,weather. I am trying to portray some old tracks from a T34 and Panzer IV as add on armour and it dose not look right. Any help would be grateful.
thanks
Adam

Hi Adam.

I usually use Tamiya Nato brown asthe base color. Then I will give them a wash or two of the same color with some black added, then a light wash of pure black. Then a dry brushing with the base color with buff or a tan color added to lighten the color a bit. Then depending on if the vehicle has rubber road wheels or bare steel road wheels I will give a light coat of either flat black or graphite (pencil) on the area where the road wheel contacts the track link when it is part of the actual track run. I personally stay far far away from using any orange or red to depict rust. I feel that in the scale we work in it looks very unrealistic. But that is just me.

I have no doubt there will be others with other methods here. And the point is to not be nailed down to one method. I suggest to pick and choose from several methods to find something that suits you.

Then it is just practice practice practice until you like the effect you get.

Gary B)

I paint the tracks with Tamiya Grey Metal, brush a coat of Bragdon Rust powder followed by a coat of Bragdon Dust. And for finish I just lightly sand the high points on all steel tracks. On Modern tracks with rubber pads, I paint the rubber with Tamiya Nato Black. Parts that wear, like guide horns, and the parts were the wheels run on tracks I paint with a silver artist pencil since those areas on real tracks have an almost chrome like finish.

Joe

I paint mine Tamiya XF-64,then wash with burnt umber+black,dust with various Mig Pigments,and dry brush with MM Gunmetal.

I am not sure of the composition of Russian tracks, but I have seen them looking rusty. German tracks on the other hand where mostly a manganese and did not show signs of rusting. New from the factory they were painted in red oxide primer. So when I do mine I either paint them Tamiya hull red and then scuff and weather or paint a metalic colour. I have some blacken it to try but could not tell you how it comes out.
I dont know the composition for British or American either but looking at the tracks in Borden the American track did have rust and the rubber became a dark grey (if not used it seemed to have a whitish film). The British tracks had a bit of rust but not much even after years sitting outside. HTH
James

Back