• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Operation Chastise - The Dambusters - Finished.

Phil

Will be starting this very soon on and off so here is the kit and the time stamp pics.

DSC_9623db.jpg~original

DSC_0363A.jpg~original

DSC_0363b.jpg~original

Operation Chastise - The Dambusters

Remind me to post the Dam letter :rotf

Looking forward to this Phil :popcorn

Are you going to build the dam too Phil?

They give you a vac formed dam, there are two towers that go on each side, the dam is a bit flimsy so it will be going into this board which will protect the dam and give a sturdy base for the aircraft stand as i skims over the dam wall.

DSC_9620db.jpg~original

DSC_9619db.jpg~original

DSC_9618db.jpg~original

also have a set of prop blurs to go on.
Airfdam02.jpg~original

It is a fascinating story, even more so when you start digging up research material

DambustersMap1.jpg~original

You know in the movie they obscured the bomb from view because at the time it was still top secret.

:popcorn

Finally something to show on progress!

This is an old mold kit, there is so much clean up work to do, you can see from this pic on the MG's

DSC_0463A.jpg~original

Master Model brass barrels test fitted -
DSC_0465a.jpg~original

The first lot of dry fitting
DSC_0467A.jpg~original

DSC_0468A.jpg~original

The Hasegawa version Pe set fits perfect in the kit, the Pe looked a bit ''flat'' so I stuck the Pe onto plastic card to give it a 3D type of look, which looks much better in my opinion
DSC_0470A.jpg~original

The interior kit parts minus the bomb! is sparse to say the least!!
DSC_0473A.jpg~original

back to parts clean up !

Thanks MP - it's kicking my butt though!! will get it tamed though!! not much else to show atm just MASS clean up of every part :gogo I don't know what Airfix did to these molds but they sure needed cleaning or replacing!!

You know in the movie they obscured the bomb from view because at the time it was still top secret.

I didn't know that, maybe that's why the in flight shots looked like highballs?

this is cool

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2119392/A-modern-day-mission-Lancaster-bomber-crew-prepares-action-70-years-remarkable-set-airfield-pictures.html

Hey Phil, Just to get this clear in my head - this isn't the most recent release Airfix 'Dambuster', this is the one from a few years back ??

Ian

Ian, this is not the new release kit,

New

A09007 two decal options - same box no dam - updated? box art - new tool

A050138 one decal option - same box no dam - updated? box art - new tool

You can see here the new release review/pics

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_Avro_Lancaster_B_III_Dambuster_A09007_In_Box_about38422.html

My kit A50061 one decal option - dam - mold year unknown.

It's plain Jane inside,

i just added a bit of plastic card stock for a bit of a bulkhead look, same with the rear gunner position,
otherwise you see one continuous ''nothing in there''.

Pe fitted now on plastic card pieces instead if just a dead flat look on the fuse sides.

DSC_0475I.jpg~original

DSC_0476I.jpg~original

Another bit of a worry is this here
DSC_0474I.jpg~original

There are no parts that fit in there in the kit

notice the Tamiya 48th instruction sheet view of the same area.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10176186z4/70/4

I just filled those square holes in with some evergreen card stock - Rad shutters closed - in flight, not worrying about the slots in them

Another thing was the bomb, Airfix had it molded with very heavy defined slats, new release it is smooth

Apparently they were fitted with wooden slats to help protect the bomb when it was dropped, but testing reveled they made no difference at all, so were removed.

Some were dark green, some red oxide, only one was black and that one was P - Popsie - after it fell from the aircraft when loading.
Why they painted it black is unknown.

Had Airfix held this set back to include the new release, I think it would of been a much better kit/build, it states on the box made in India and China as well.

New Year resumed the Lanc, wings tail etc on, ready to close up and get the base silver on, lots of evergreen strips used to close up horrid gaps - just look for the white!!!
At least the wing root joins are very nice.
DSC_1027c.jpg~original

DSC_1028c.jpg~original

I just made basic rear facing scoops in the closed position to cover those awful square holes, I doubt anyone will notice when all black and on the stand
DSC_1029c.jpg~original

Back