• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Opening of the 3D Work Shop

I get it James. I see the big R coming in the next few years as well. That is the main reason I am getting the kits I want now. Lucky for me I have a job, skills, and health that I can work as long as I feel up to it, but am getting more and more where I am wanting to spend time doing what I want to do instead of days at work. With some luck when that time comes I will be able to move back to Tulsa and still do a little bit of side work to add some $$. Time will tell.
Unfortunately I dont have the health to keep working, I also dont have the option to stop yet. But soon I hope.

Hi all :coolio1:
Just got my printer this wednesday, an Elegoo Saturn2, opted for a bigger machine direct because i have the plans for printing auto bodies.
Had some things printed and also some misshaps, but as long as it's no big mistakes i call it learning money.
Looking forward to get in here and get active posting and learning.
Will start a thread with my adventures in 3D.

I tell ya what, after shipping something overseas today I'm thinking 3d printing our parts is by far the better way, we may be on the verge of emailing a file to a user and have them print it instead of shipping goods.

I tell ya what, after shipping something overseas today I'm thinking 3d printing our parts is by far the better way, we may be on the verge of emailing a file to a user and have them print it instead of shipping goods.
The guy at RC Subs does that now with his 3D printed subs. You can either pay for a printed version that he sends in the post for those like me who don't hsve a printer or you pay for the file and he sends it to you and you print the model yourself. He also shares instruction files but still needs to send the PE seperately. I wonder though how the IP side is handled as whats stopping you sharing the file with others. It also seems a better deal ss you could print multiple models for the one initial file price, then get the PE created locally using the original sheets as master patterns.
???

I wonder though how the IP side is handled as whats stopping you sharing the file with others.
I can not imagine how one could stop that file sharing. Much like the music file sharing years ago, once you have that download it can be copied.

I think in many cases those that buy the file use it for themselves and rarely pass it on unless it isn't available any longer. In some cases for small detail parts, the originator should charge enough to make it worth the while to do the work, and then once it it out there just keep an eye open for copyright infringement, or someone blatantly printing and selling the originators work. There is always pros and cons to files put out on the web.

I think the file sharing is down to your morals. I know a few people have been burned and so they have a copywrite embedded in the files.
People still keep on stealing though and this has been an issue with figures for many years now. It is up to individuals to tell the authors when they find abuse. I can see where in the future files wont be sold because a few spoil it for the many.
James

Back